Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #41
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK Bob. Thanks for the update. When I get there I'll bring some wheels with me. Like a good Boy Scout I will be prepared !!!!!!!

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
OK Bob. Thanks for the update. When I get there I'll bring some wheels with me. Like a good Boy Scout I will be prepared !!!!!!!
Don't forget the jack, lug wrench and nuts, pry bar and bolt cutter.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
And a fuse for the tongue jack, a battery operated grinder with silencer, and a universal hitch. I've got room on our land for about 100 Airstreams, so I've got to get to work.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

When stored for the Winter the tongue is raised and covered, the HAHA & batteries removed, and tires in the basement. So there would-be thief.
Hi, what's a basement? must be something us poor people don't have!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
I just got a spare key from Guardian Locks. I sent them an email to which they responded after two weeks. The email addresses are confusing I have two:
lenzill@cox.net
lenville@gmail.com
Mr. Len Villalon communicated with me on both.
I started the process around April 1st, and finally out of the blue almost two months later I get a package from:
Guardian Industries
P.O. Box 2017
Duncan, OK 73534
Inside were 3 sets of 2 keys each with a note from Stephen stating he had three different keys for the key code I gave him.
I tried all six keys and got one (Hallelujah) that worked. I really only needed one.
The first address I was instructed to send my order (key code, return address and a check for $15.00) was:
Guardian Lock
1403 Aspen Avenue
Duncan, OK 73533

So there you have some options to communicate with those people. The Guardian G-37 is the best hitch lock out there. As other posters have said you can go through the u-bolt hitch locks on ten seconds with a decent pair of bolt cutters. I snap off Master and Sesame padlocks all the time with my bolt cutters. I live in the pacific northwest and the combo padlocks corrode so I can't open them any other way!
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We use the DT-25013. Fits well.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I just got a spare key from Guardian Locks. I sent them an email to which they responded after two weeks. The email addresses are confusing I have two:
lenzill@cox.net
lenville@gmail.com
Mr. Len Villalon communicated with me on both.
I started the process around April 1st, and finally out of the blue almost two months later I get a package from:
Guardian Industries
P.O. Box 2017
Duncan, OK 73534
Inside were 3 sets of 2 keys each with a note from Stephen stating he had three different keys for the key code I gave him.
I tried all six keys and got one (Hallelujah) that worked. I really only needed one.
The first address I was instructed to send my order (key code, return address and a check for $15.00) was:
Guardian Lock
1403 Aspen Avenue
Duncan, OK 73533

So there you have some options to communicate with those people. The Guardian G-37 is the best hitch lock out there. As other posters have said you can go through the u-bolt hitch locks on ten seconds with a decent pair of bolt cutters. I snap off Master and Sesame padlocks all the time with my bolt cutters. I live in the pacific northwest and the combo padlocks corrode so I can't open them any other way!
You concerned about theft in Los Gatos, Terry? haha... I'm from Los Gatos, my parents are still there, and I must say-- If my trailer was up there and not in Los Angeles with me I'd probably leave the doors and window open with no locks anywhere, and I would find it there intact when I returned...

I kid of course. I currently use the master lock hitch coupler lock, but would not rely on it long term. It is only being used while the trailer is in an extremely secure storage yard as a visual deterrent if anything.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
I actually live in the Santa Cruz mountains (up on the Summit) with a L.G. address.
Were feel very safe and secure up here. You don't see people just out walking around, everybody knows everyone.
However, to get the G-37 off the tongue you'd have to maybe pry on it or hit it with a hammer or saw on the lock (I don't know how I'd get the lock off if I lost the key) and anything that you would do would make noise. Thieves hate noise hammering/sawing etc would get the dogs started which they (the creeps) don't want.
I know that the locks with the 3/8"or 1/2" hasp can be defeated with little or no noise so I would stay away from those type security locks.

TerryC
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
torches don't make much noise.

the master lock coupler that fit the tongue on my 94 snugly was #35. i see a 35AT online but i don't know if it is the same size. i was lucky that a local, long established locksmith, had one. he was thrilled to sell it and i was thrilled he had it :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #50

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Crowley , Texas
Terry,
So glad you were able to get what you needed from Mr. Villalon. As I waited more than
several months and after emailing and leaving voicemails and getting NO RESPONSE at all, I was able to get my money refunded by filing a claim with Paypal (used to pay originally). (Sure glad I didn't just send him a check!)
I will continue to look for the best coupler lock that I can actually procure.
jharyoungblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
MegaHitch Lock

I just received my Megahitch lock in the mail yesterday. It is beefy. I would say by far the best hitch lock I have seen. Check out there website. trailer hitch locks by megahitch and video's on you tube as well. They are made in the USA by Clearwater Industries Eugene, OR . Robert Duhrkoop is the sale manager and is very helpful with ordering. They have manufactured specific models just for Airstream hitches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020474.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	140827  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Master No. 35 Trailer Lock...

Was designed specifically for the Marvel Hitch Coupler found on Airstreams.
I have purchased one every time I buy an Airstream. It is the one in the middle in this photo.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was wanting to buy a Guardian however I could not reach them by phone. I left them a message. I also called my dealer as they use to carry them. They were out of stock and had the same problem I did trying to reach Guardian. So I decided to purchase a lock from Megahitch
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A good thief would ignore the coupler lock and just wrap a chain around your tongue assembly and his hitch.

Seems a chain and lock through the wheels and around the axle would slow them down. There are some near indestructible chains and locks made for motorcycles/bicycles, and they have a fabric sleeve to prevent scratching your gear.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
MegaHitch Lock & The Boot

I Was able to purchase The Rhino Boot on eBay 9/21 for around 200.00, they sell for 599.00 from dealer. This and the MegaHitch Lock should send a would be thief looking for an easier victim. I hope.

I know if some one wants it they will try to get it. However I will make it as difficult for anyone to take it as I can.

Multiple good solid passive deterrents may be better than any 1 single device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KGrHqIOKiE5dcreStwBOc-TlDPQ_12.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	141097  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We got one of these for our Bambi. Some have said that they can be easily defeated. However, this is the same boot that many police and parking enforcement units use, so we hope it is at least an easily recognizable visual deterrent.

On the minus side, it's expensive, heavy and hard to store when not installed. I just hope would-be thieves will pick another RV to steal when they see this thing on our Airstream.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As it has been stated in many of the earlier responses a professional thief can by pass or defeat any lock system, however, I have also been told that if their is an easier target the thief will go after that one. My goal is to make them go after the easier target.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ock-47196.html
scarylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
There is another solution that we are all forgetting: Camouflage.

And I'm not saying we try to actually blend in, I'm just saying that if you paint your trailer in camo I promise no one will want to steal it.

I had a friend in college who bought a $3000 bicycle because he was obsessed with the sport. However, we lived on a very open college campus with lots of bikes and bike thieves. The first thing he did was paint his bike a flat rust brown color and he even tied trash bags to it when he locked it up. It looked ridiculous, but it worked. I don't have any data on the control group of how many other non-painted $3000 bikes were stolen, but I know there were some.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2007 22' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
We have one over at Megahitch lock just for Airstreams and we disigned it just for an Airstream the rolled lip style made by Marvel now Atwood.
we call it our style 12

We are a commercial member

roadlover Rob
roadlover is offline   Reply With Quote