Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Flat Rock , Indiana
BMW Tow Vehicle Question

Greetings: Newbie with a 1976, 23 ft Safari to hitch to our 2005 BMW X5
I have pasted a reply I received from ehitch as I asked what size/type dual cam hitch system to have installed. They asked a good question which I am trying to get an answer to. Here is the post and I hope someone of you can shed a little weight on the issue. Thank you
Question:
I am looking to have a Reece hitch installed on a 2005 BMW X5, 3.01. The Airstream people are saying to get a 600 LB Rating Bar. The Hitch weight for the air stream 1976 23 Safari is 570 LBS. and the Total Weight is 3460 LBS. Could you please advise the model type I will need to have installed. Thank you
asked by: Robert D

Expert Reply:
Selection of a weight distribution and sway control system should be made based on the fully-loaded trailer tongue weight. It is important that the trailer be loaded and equipped just as it will be when towed, with full water and propane tanks, and all usual equipment and supplies, etc. Manufacturer specs can provide dry weight and unloaded tongue weight, but a properly-tuned weight distribution system depends on knowing the actual as-towed trailer tongue weight
rdinflatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I'm There Doing It

See my avatar and search on "withidl", you'll have all the info you'll need to make your decisions.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Watch this before you deside on a hitch. If interested search on the Andersen user threads here on the Forum.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Flat Rock , Indiana
Thank you for your quick response. Do you have any idea of the approx. "wet Weight" that I am trying to determine?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Flat Rock , Indiana
Since you too have an X5, what hitch system do you find best fit your needs?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinflatrock View Post
Thank you for your quick response. Do you have any idea of the approx. "wet Weight" that I am trying to determine?
Your chassis can handle all the "wet" weight of the Airstream your considering since my 4.4i V8 and your straight 6 both use essentially the same chassis and my 2002 ASCL 31' has a GVWR of 8,300# and a tongue weight of at least 1,000#; the only real difference is engine power but your Airstream is much smaller so lesser power shouldn't be of consequence.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinflatrock View Post
Since you too have an X5, what hitch system do you find best fit your needs?

Thanks
I use the Hensley interface, but the ProPride works on the same principal; pricey but worth more than they cost in that they geometrically STOP sway WITHOUT use of friction. I highly recommend that you install, or have installed the BMW receiver. It comes with a "trailer module" which interfaces with the X5's electronic system and IS necessary. In 2001 it cost me $500 from the dealer; today I don't know the price.

Again, do a search on "withidl" and you'll have answers to all of your questions.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
X5STREAM

2004 16' International CCD
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to X5STREAM
BMW X5 hitch and equalizer

I used to have an 2002 X5 3.0 pulling A/S 16' CCD, and it was an excellent towing vehicle. I would only consider the OEM [BMW] hitch, which is costly, but interfaces perfectly with the vehicle. It's close to the rear axle, senses the vehicle braking and is just the only way to go!

As far as a equalizer, I use the Hensley Cub. Other than totally eliminating any sway, the trailer tracks extremely well on curved roads, gives you better turning radius, no transfer of motions between vehicles and saved me when I had a trailer tire blowout at 70mi/hr. I heard the blowout, but didn't even feel it. I realized I had a blowout when I saw that the Bambi was leaning heavily to one side in the rear-view mirror... Thanks to Hensley - worth the money!
X5STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote