Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I swapped out the OEM 3000 jack for a husky 5000 and have no problem hooking up bars or unhooking for that matter
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #142
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
AirMiles, that sounds like great idea! I will think it through a little more, but I like it!
Bob
Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
The Villages , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrocker
For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrocker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrocker
For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.

That's what I use during home mx.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I had a BO hitch installed at Camping World while I had my AS there for a problem with the brakes.

I should have installed it myself and saved some money and aggravation. As soon as I saw the AS hitched to my TV I told them it is mounted too high. They gave me a song and dance as to why it had to be that way and I didn't understand, etc. So I drove home, parked the rig on a level concrete pad, unhitched the trailer, made it level, and guess what, the ball was 5 inches higher than the receiver. The BO instructions say it should be 1 to 2 inches higher. So I went to Sears and bought a breaker bar (BTW the bar works great with a 1" socket as a wrench to tighten and loosen the chain) and a 1 1/8 socket and lowered the ball ultimately three holes. I tried it at 2 holes and it was still high so I went to three. I also had to reposition the chain tension devices as there were not positioned according to the BO specifications.

I have a RAM 1500 with air suspension so I followed their instructions, disabling the air compressor, and after several tries it seems as though I have the rig relatively level using the 8th link from the u-bolt and exposing 3 full links of chain (which is what BO recommends as a starting point). I measured the front fender well and have it back to where it was before dropping the tongue onto the ball.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Hans - I have a FC 25A trailer on order, I've decided I want to go w/ a BO sway pro bxw 1000. I also have a Dodge 1500 w/ air suspension that I'll by using to tow the camper. It looks like your set up will be very much like what I'll be running. I think I'm going to try to install the hitch myself. Can you give me any install tips - what do you mean by you put the ball at 3 holes? Also, do you use your air suspension to raise everything up to help load the bars? That seems like a good option if it will work. Last question, why would I disable the air suspension? This just to help w/ initial setup. Many Thanks - Clay
Dockholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
There is a great video on their website that explains the installation.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
There is a great video on their website that explains the installation.

This video covers air suspension issues?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockholiday View Post
This video covers air suspension issues?

I did find the video and it is very informative as well as gives some info about the air suspension- appreciate the help.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Dock holiday, I wonder if the 1000 lb w.d. bars are enough for your Ram.

It is important to distribute weight evenly on the Ram's two 3900 lb axles (verify it with a trip to the local CAT scale) or there is a good chance to rear axle will be overloaded and the steering axle may be too light. The half-tons such as our Rams are wonderful tow vehicles for mid-size Airstreams but the limited axle load capacity requires capable weight distribution.

When selecting a w.d. hitch, I learned from the E-Trailer site and hitch manufacturer we have to consider the hitch weight of our loaded Airstream (which will be about 1000 lbs) and also the weight of gear carried in the truck's bed behind the rear axle. We have 1400 lb bars and they are nicely capable of doing the job. I think the next step up for Sway Pro is 1500 lb bars, more likely to do the job for you.

I think the greatest issue with air suspension is owners seeing a leveled tow vehicle and mistakenly believing they have enough weight distribution. That's why actual CAT scale axle weight verification is important.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I started with 8 links as recommended by Blue Ox. I now adjust to 7 and seem to get a better ride. It is a purely subjective feel and observation. Also I get less drama when unhitching. I have also starting using a socket with extension and a long handled ratchet instead of the supplied Blue Ox tool. It gives better leverage and moves my head from over the brackets. Keep a close eye on the bracket mounting bolt as it will possibly come lose causing the bracket to separate from the frame when unhitching. From personal experience I can tell you that when it smacks you up side the head you become very aware of this issue.
When you talk about adjusting to 7 links, are you counting down form the top or up form the bottom of the 16 chain links? Also, Your socket with extension and a long handled ratchet, what does that look like?
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #151
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Dock holiday, I wonder if the 1000 lb w.d. bars are enough for your Ram.

It is important to distribute weight evenly on the Ram's two 3900 lb axles (verify it with a trip to the local CAT scale) or there is a good chance to rear axle will be overloaded and the steering axle may be too light. The half-tons such as our Rams are wonderful tow vehicles for mid-size Airstreams but the limited axle load capacity requires capable weight distribution.

When selecting a w.d. hitch, I learned from the E-Trailer site and hitch manufacturer we have to consider the hitch weight of our loaded Airstream (which will be about 1000 lbs) and also the weight of gear carried in the truck's bed behind the rear axle. We have 1400 lb bars and they are nicely capable of doing the job. I think the next step up for Sway Pro is 1500 lb bars, more likely to do the job for you.

I think the greatest issue with air suspension is owners seeing a leveled tow vehicle and mistakenly believing they have enough weight distribution. That's why actual CAT scale axle weight verification is important.
Dockholiday, if you decide you want to go to 1500 lbs bars I have a pair for sale. Great condition used for two trips.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
An Airstream/Blue Ox dealer told me the biggest mistake made with the Swaypro is over-barring. The dealer said a good (2") bend in the bars is needed for sway control. I chose 1000# bars for my 25' Airstream and run them tightly sprung at 10 links (from the loose end of the chain) to restore the steer axle weight and front fender height on my truck. I have access to a 1500# set of bars from a 15000# utility trailer, but haven't tried them with my Airstream because I believe they would be too stiff to achieve the desired bend for sway control. For pictures and CAT scale tickets of my setup, see my "On The Road" thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...es-166881.html
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
AirMiles, you've got to be careful here about comparing apples to oranges. The recent question about w.d. bar rating was from a member with a Ram 1500 that I presume has the aluminum 5.7 V8. Compare that to the weight of your cast iron diesel engine.

Also, it appears your loaded trailer (unloaded FB models are light in front, but that's where most of the storage is) is only putting about 700 lbs on the hitch to be distributed, if I'm reading the tickets right. Most loaded late model Airstream 25's will put nearly 1000 lbs on the hitch.

I see with your light hitch weight and not much weight removed from your diesel-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars may be enough. However, with the usual loading of a 25'-28' Airstream and the weight removed from a Ram 5.7 V8-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars look too light. The weight of gear in the rear section of the truck bed must also be considered for weight distribution to be effective.

Our experience with a gas Ram 1500 is we need 1400 lb bars to not only restore unloaded steering axle weight, but to move even more weight forward to prevent the truck's rear axle from being overloaded. A Ram 1500 has two 3900 lb axles, with a mid-size Airstream you will need to load them nearly equally to prevent overload on the Ram's rear axle.

If you do this, the Ram 1500 will ride, handle and brake very nicely. If not you may be among those complaining the Ram is "not enough" tow vehicle and not satisfied. Insufficient weight distribution may be the greatest issue causing dissatisfaction with a tow vehicle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Dkottum, I have nothing to add to your Ram 1500 experience that spreading the tongue weight between the axles is best for that truck. It sounds to me that you have expert experience with the Ram from owning two of them and are giving good advice for that truck.

My experience is with setting up and using a Blue Ox Swaypro with both 1000# and 1500# bars. I demonstrated that my 1000# bars provide the weight transfer needed restore the front axle weight on my Titan XD diesel and 25' Airstream while flexing at least 2" to provide sway control. I know the 1500# bars do the same with a 15000# GVWR utility trailer loaded to 12000#. I know a dealer's expert advice is that over-barring a Swaypro is a mistake.

Therefore, the combination of this knowledge suggests to select the lowest weight Swaypro bar that can equal weight the Ram 1500 axles while flexing around 2". Hopefully someone with this exact combination can weigh in to determine which bar can provide these results.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
AirMiles, you've got to be careful here about comparing apples to oranges. The recent question about w.d. bar rating was from a member with a Ram 1500 that I presume has the aluminum 5.7 V8. Compare that to the weight of your cast iron diesel engine.

Also, it appears your loaded trailer (unloaded FB models are light in front, but that's where most of the storage is) is only putting about 700 lbs on the hitch to be distributed, if I'm reading the tickets right. Most loaded late model Airstream 25's will put nearly 1000 lbs on the hitch.

I see with your light hitch weight and not much weight removed from your diesel-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars may be enough. However, with the usual loading of a 25'-28' Airstream and the weight removed from a Ram 5.7 V8-carrying front axle, the 1000 lb bars look too light. The weight of gear in the rear section of the truck bed must also be considered for weight distribution to be effective.

Our experience with a gas Ram 1500 is we need 1400 lb bars to not only restore unloaded steering axle weight, but to move even more weight forward to prevent the truck's rear axle from being overloaded. A Ram 1500 has two 3900 lb axles, with a mid-size Airstream you will need to load them nearly equally to prevent overload on the Ram's rear axle.

If you do this, the Ram 1500 will ride, handle and brake very nicely. If not you may be among those complaining the Ram is "not enough" tow vehicle and not satisfied. Insufficient weight distribution may be the greatest issue causing dissatisfaction with a tow vehicle.

I appreciate all the feedback. It appears that I should probably get the trailer, load it for travel and hit the scales prior to making a final call on the proper size for the weight bars. I called the Blue Ox folks today and they indicated that likely the 1,000 lb bars will be the right fit. I asked about weight in the bed and they did say that does have an impact, but it is not directly related lb for lb to the tongue weight since that weight is furtherest to the rear of the axle - they said to keep the heaviest gear carried to the front of the truck bed and within reason and I should be ok.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Did the three-pass routine on the scales with my 2017 FC25FB fully loaded for a six week cross country tour but no water. My Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars was able to restore 340# of weight to the front axle and distribute 160# to the trailer axles of the 820# of tongue weight. These results were with the 10th link from the loose end of the chain in the slot with 2-1/2 links showing under load when connected. This is pretty close to the maximum weight distribution I can get because hooking up the 11th link would be a challenge.

I also re-weighed with full fresh water which added 260# to the trailer axles and no change to the steer and drive axles with weight distribution connected. My Airstream handles best with these settings and full water. Here's the scale tickets:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170525_153541254.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	286293  
Old 05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Did the three-pass routine on the scales with my 2017 FC25FB fully loaded for a six week cross country tour but no water. My Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars was able to restore 340# of weight to the front axle and distribute 160# to the trailer axles of the 820# of tongue weight. These results were with the 10th link from the loose end of the chain in the slot with 2-1/2 links showing under load when connected. This is pretty close to the maximum weight distribution I can get because hooking up the 11th link would be a challenge.

I also re-weighed with full fresh water which added 260# to the trailer axles and no change to the steer and drive axles with weight distribution connected. My Airstream handles best with these settings and full water. Here's the scale tickets:
I think I read that you need to have at least 3 links showing, not 2-1/2. Others may correct me but I'm pretty sure that is what blue ox recommends.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #158
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Have not seen that admonition. There is a statement that the bars are designed to deflect 2-3 inches on a properly setup system. Can't believe an extra link would be a problem. If it was, a highlighted warning should be in the install instructions and I did not find that on their web site. It is entirely possible you got the instruction when talking to a BO tech or from a user. If you can find a source that would be helpful for the thread. I did not get that info from the tech I contacted when discussing the hitch with them. Thank you for your input to the thread. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From the owners manual page 4 (7/21/14)

"Note: The suggested starting point is to have three (3) full chain links showing under the latch. Do this on both sides of the trailer."

It then details weight transfer adjustment by using more or less links.
The owners manual is available on the Blue Ox web site for down load if needed. I have settled on counting down 8 links from the lose end of the chain and hooking number 9 in the bracket.
*Reminder: Double check the tightness of the bracket bolt before every use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
From the owners manual page 4 (7/21/14)

"Note: The suggested starting point is to have three (3) full chain links showing under the latch. Do this on both sides of the trailer."

It then details weight transfer adjustment by using more or less links.
The owners manual is available on the Blue Ox web site for down load if needed. I have settled on counting down 8 links from the lose end of the chain and hooking number 9 in the bracket.
*Reminder: Double check the tightness of the bracket bolt before every use.
My mistake. Thanks Michael, I checked my notes, and a blue ox tech (actually a women who is a supervisor) told me you need to have 3 links showing, so I guess I was told incorrectly. Good to know.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote