Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
When I read the install instructions for the Blue Ox it states to set the tow vehicle ball 1" to 2" above the leveled trailer tongue.

Has that been an issue raising the trailer high enough to hitch up on uneven campsites?

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
When I read the install instructions for the Blue Ox it states to set the tow vehicle ball 1" to 2" above the leveled trailer tongue.

Has that been an issue raising the trailer high enough to hitch up on uneven campsites?

Kelvin
Not clearing the ball, but getting it high enough to engage the chains in the brackets is. The 4000# Atwood jack I installed also has another 5-6" of lift compared to the 3000# version.

Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I am seriously considering the Blue Ox Sway Pro for our 2007 Lexus GX 470 and FC 23D.

Can someone point me to where I can find out how to set up the Blue Ox with the GX Rear Load Leveling Suspension? Specifically, how to get the ball height properly adjusted when first getting it setup.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
On my Jeep the air suspension can be temporarily turned off for hook up and tire changing. Might the Lexus have the same option?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I can turn it off but not sure at what height. The manual says to put in lo and turn it off for hitching and unhitching. What I am trying to figure out is what level for the initial setup?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
At the house I run mine all the way up to off-road 2 setting. It raises the Jeep 5 inches from normal ride height. Gives me room to clear the end of my steep driveway entrance once a load is put on the rear end. Once I pull out it automatically lowers the suspension to normal ride height at 10 MPH. On a relatively flat surface I raise the Jeep to off road 1 ride height and lock the suspension. Once moving the suspension will reset and adjust to a level ride. Reverse the process for unhooking. I think you will have to play around with your suspension and see what works best for you. Once I figured out to raise the jack up to almost lifting the rear of the Jeep off the ground hooking up and unhooking has become a relatively drama free exercise.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Just a heads up on the BOSP with HD trucks (based on my experience) - you really have to lift the truck/trailer high to get enough "slack" to engage the desired chain link in the rotating bracket. The issue is keeping the chain engaged while attempting to rotate the bracket.

My 2016 came with an Atwood 3000# Premier jack, and it was not robust enough to raise my 30FC and Ram 2500 CTD high enough to use link 9 (from the open end) on the chains reliably. The gears would disengage on the jack (as designed feature to keep from tearing up the jack). I replaced it with the 4000# model with much better results.

It's not a matter of a bigger lever, but one of the basic geometry of the BO design.

Interestingly, the instructions for the Atwood jack mention this very issue with HD trucks and recommend the heavier rated model.
Keith, Did your Atwood 4000 come with the robofoot. If so, does it help with lifting to the desired height. I am thinking of upgrading from the 3000 so I can get more height when hitching up my BOSP. With the 3000 I have to make sure to put as many blocks as possible under the foot without being to high to lower onto the ball. The foot on my 2016 FC is not the robofoot. I'm wondering if there may be an issue with using the robofoot on an Airstream. The foot I have on my 3000 has 3 holes for adjustments, but I'm wondering if the robofoot may give you more height.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Keith, Did your Atwood 4000 come with the robofoot. If so, does it help with lifting to the desired height. I am thinking of upgrading from the 3000 so I can get more height when hitching up my BOSP. With the 3000 I have to make sure to put as many blocks as possible under the foot without being to high to lower onto the ball. The foot on my 2016 FC is not the robofoot. I'm wondering if there may be an issue with using the robofoot on an Airstream. The foot I have on my 3000 has 3 holes for adjustments, but I'm wondering if the robofoot may give you more height.

Thanks

Yeah it did but I never tried it - sold it with the old jack. I have a aluminum jack base I use that I bought years ago at the FL rally so I don't use any foot on the jack itself. The 4000 is longer than the 3000

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #93
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We need to adjust our hitch a bit. New tires give us more ground clearance. The stinger has holes 1.5 in center to center. We need to raise the head about 3/4 in to maintain the trailer level. So, how?

1) is there a stinger that is offset above and below the receiver center line so it provides a half step raise?

2) is it appropriate to install a raised ball?

3) is the 3/4 in lower tongue an acceptable configuration for the rig?

Follow-up question. Does any company produce lighter weight stinger? Would like to find one that will deal with 6000#s, but is not as heavy as a lead weight.

Any info is appreciated. Pat
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #94
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Measured the stinger again and the center to center hole distance is 1.25" and not 1.5" so we have some figuring to do. Hummmm.

E-trailer has a stinger that is constructed from tube and therefore should be lighter than the solid stingers. That may address the follow-up question above.

Pat
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pat, why don't you give Blue Ox CS a call. They were very helpful with my set up and subsequent sissues.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #96
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
AW, you and a certain close relative seem to think a lot alike. Certainly worth the price of a phone call. Nice to hear from you. Thanks Pat
Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Been a few months since this Thread has been added to but maybe Pat(PKI) is still "watching"? Anyway, I will be getting a 2017 23FB next month which has the same hitch weight as your 2015 23FB of 467 lbs. I know this number will go up some with water, gear, etc but was wondering if you ever thought/wished you had gone with the 550 lb BO bars instead of the 750 lb ones?

I called BO yesterday and got the felling it was a close call on which way to go....

Thanks, Alan.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I am seriously considering the Blue Ox Sway Pro for our 2007 Lexus GX 470 and FC 23D.

Can someone point me to where I can find out how to set up the Blue Ox with the GX Rear Load Leveling Suspension? Specifically, how to get the ball height properly adjusted when first getting it setup.
etrailer.com has a very good how to video. measure your tow vehicle height at all for fenders, set the ball about 1 inch higher than your trailer ball (when the trailer is level and you are ready to begin.

The whole process only takes about 30 minutes. I find the Blue Ox much easier to hook up when we are traveling - Blue ox also has a web site and will provide assistance over the phone.

RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote