Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Unhappy BluOx experience and question....

Experience: We bought a used Safari 25' in AZ few years back and the hitch broke in Tucson, just after picking it up. Only hitch local dealer had was BluOx, so we went with it....$850+ installation...after several thousand miles, to/from TX-MT, we had no issues with the hitch and actually liked the ease of hook up and take down...10 min max for either... after talking with several "experts"....looking at which hitch to use on new 25', question is should I use Ox or Reese Straight Line....I think the Ox from experience, and also looks like less of a hassle for hook up.

Question: After some excellent advice from several sources, I am leaning toward the BlueOx hitch...worked well for me on my last AS Safari 08', 25';it was very easy to hook up/take down. Now question: with BluOx, which weight bar for the new 25' with 835lb hitch weight (empty); 750lb or 1000lb? (BluOx website not real clear) I have advice to go with lower weight bar for smother ride from some pretty savy folks; also have advice from a dealer that they can not sell me the lower weight bar (750) for this trailer (835' hitch weight) and are suggesting 1000' bars....I am told the 1000' bars will give me stiffer ride however, and if I use 750' bars, it will give me the stability I need plus softer ride...I also know with full propane tanks, weight may increase from 835 to perhaps to ~ 1000'? Who is right and what is suggested?? lost and confused

By the way, forgot to add that new BluOx is around $550-$600 on Amazon....so not sure installation charge, but should be less overall than what I paid back then...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I am picking up our new 25fb next weekend, and I'm trying to make a decision on the Blue Ox. I emailed Blue Ox with a couple of questions. One of the questions was bar size, and they recommended 750lb bars for my Toyota Sequoia. My sequoia is equivalent to a 1/2 ton truck in terms of ride and suspension. BTW the dry hitch weight for the newer 25fb's is 833. We pack light, so I'm expecting maybe 950 lbs actual weight. My other question was concerning the weight of the hitch. I had heard it was very heavy. I was told by Blue Ox the entire kit was 91 lbs including shank, head, bars, and brackets.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Call Blue Ox tomorrow....they should be able to answer any questions...I am planning on calling also. As for 833 weight list from AS specs....add propane (60 lbs) and you have including 4.2 lb/per gallon propane x 60 Gallons, an additional 252 lbs...so your up around 1052lb...Flying Cloud 25 hitch weight dry, is 835.....according to brochure.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
More on SwayPro

Our concern with the SwayPro was side-to-side sway.

It may be that the problem relates to the model of our tow vehicle. These GM SUV receivers have some up-and-down flex when you drop on the ball, and when you tighten up the chains. I took a picture of my rig and emailed it to the tech guys at Blue Ox, and they said my bars did not show enough flex, even though fender measurements and the CAT scales said I had good weight distribution (front axle was within 20 pounds of it's non-trailer weight). The receiver was doing some of the flexing. Andy T at Can-Am said he recommended reinforcing the receiver on these vehicles. Since I was traveling that way, I had Can-Am reinforce my receiver. I did not do before-and-after tests with the SwayPro to see if the receiver work changed the handling--it would have been very interesting, but we did not have the time.

As for the choice of bar, I have a 25FB with no options. My tongue weight has ranged from 900 to 960 pounds. We used 1000 pound bars and got the front axle to about 100% of its non-trailer weight. I would not recommend using lighter bars with a 25FB, unless you want less weight distribution (somewhere on this forum people have quoted other tow vehicle owner's manuals recommending 50% "Front Axle Load Restoration").

Even with the trailer jack at max extension, I found the rotating brackets took considerable force to turn. I used a breaker bar instead of the provided wrench to turn the brackets.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Call Blue Ox tomorrow....they should be able to answer any questions...I am planning on calling also. As for 833 weight list from AS specs....add propane (60 lbs) and you have including 4.2 lb/per gallon propane x 60 Gallons, an additional 252 lbs...so your up around 1052lb...Flying Cloud 25 hitch weight dry, is 835.....according to brochure.

I'm pretty sure the dry weight includes batteries and propane. Our 23fb dry hitch is 423. I've weighed ours at just over 500. I think most of our additional weight is water in the water heater. I was kidding when I said we pack light.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the info Square. I have a similar TV ( Toyota Sequoia ) which has a smaller wheel base than a truck so sway is a big concern for me. Unfortunately I will not have a chance to test the new hitch before we embark on a big trip west and north. I love the idea of no more greasy bars and the ease of backing up with Blue Sway, but I really trust Can-Am and I know they prefer to use the Eaz-Lift with friction sway.

I often wish there was no internet. I wonder how many hours I would have saved on WD hitch research (not to mention research on converters. TPMS, tires, centramatics, surge protection, etc etc etc)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Checked with BlueOx this morning; said SwayPro for 25' 2014 model, should be 1000' bars. BXW1000 SWAYPRO is what they recommended. Amazon has in stock $560~but checking around also...
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Our experience with the Blue Ox SwayPro BXW1000 has been very good. For the price, ease of use, and performance, it is an excellent value in my opinion (when properly set up). Please, learn from this fine forum and other resources about how to properly setup a hitch. The young man at the dealership who "always drops 4 links on a 1/2 ton" isn't properly setting up a hitch.

We tow our Pete, a 2014 27FB Flying Cloud with a 2013 F150 Crew 2wd XLT 5.0 v8, 3.55 rear end. AirStream says Pete left JC with an 800 lb tongue weight, and I figure he has at least 1000 lbs now. Pete had an UVW when he came home with us of 5949 lbs, and 1651 lbs of payload available. Our truck also has exactly 1651 lbs of payload available (These two were made for each other, right?), and I run the max pressure of 44 lbs in the Michelin X "p-rated" mushy tires that came with it. That gets me 1030 lbs of load capacity per truck tire. I know, I know some of you are saying "where's the scale tickets?". I'm close on the numbers, but within reason with my wife and I and not much in the truck bed. We loaded 350 lbs in Pete that stays all the time, and add probably 150 lbs for a trip. I setup the Blue Ox so that Pete is perfectly level; the rear of the truck drops about 1 & 3/4" when hooked up, and the front returns to within 1/2" of unloaded height with the Blue Ox brackets grabbing the 8th link down the chains.

Back in the day, we had a 32' SunnyBrook front kitchen 2 slide TT (9400 lb UVW) that I towed with a 2500HD Chevy Duramax/Ally with a Hensley Hitch. I know how great a TT can tow. Is the Blue Ox close to the Hensley towing experience? Eh, it ain't that far off really; I do get a slight "push" right/left when a boxy truck bow wave blows past us 10-15 mph faster than we run, but the Blue Ox controls it nicely, Pete never "wags his tail" more than 4-5" and then only once, and I can live with that. I'm convinced the towing dynamics of the Airstream have a huge impact on how great it really does tow with our little 1/2 ton. I've towed a lot of trailers, and Pete is absolutely the best tracking and turning I've had the pleasure of using.

Again, for the price, ease of use and performance, the Blue Ox is very good. If I find a nice used PPP hitch that I can afford will I buy and use it? Oh Yeah! But for now, I'm satisfied.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Checked with BlueOx this morning; said SwayPro for 25' 2014 model, should be 1000' bars. BXW1000 SWAYPRO is what they recommended. Amazon has in stock $560~but checking around also...

That is interesting, and by interesting I mean frustrating. I have an email from Blue Ox recommending I use 750 lb bars for a 2014 25fb Int.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Landrum- I would call their tech support center as I suggested yesterday...they told me the total trailer weight is how they calculate for which model. I had the 750 on my last 08' 25 and I thought it was too small as I had to crank it up to level the load. If you have a dealer close by who sells/services BlueOx, that is another option. They can get your zip code and let you know who is close....that's what they did for me yesterday, so that way you can double check...either a visit or a call...I do know the AS dealer told me they would not install less than 1000 pound bars for the new 25 we are getting this week. But call Blue Ox and compare notes with a local dealer to see if BXW1000 SwayPro is what they recommend...I am getting a 2014 25' rear twin. Spec says 5600 dry, 7300 GVW hitch weight 835 w/LP, W/O options, cargo, water. BlueOx told me for the weight, BXW1000...if someone else has opinion, please chime in.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I will give them a call. I'm picking up our new 25fb this Friday, and I told the dealer today I do want the Blue Ox. Hopefully it will work out. I will eventually write about my experience with the blue Ox after I've had a chance to really try it out.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Talked with new owners of our 2008' 25' which had the BlueOx hitch and he said it had the 750lb bars which were too light for this model since he had extra heavy batteries for solar system located in front area...150+ lbs. He had light stearing in front and also had some concerns when big trucks passed him with stearing. He said he talked with Blue Ox and ordered the 1000 bars recently and it was just what they needed. Steady and secure feeling now pulling with F150.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
Adjusted the WD bar chain for a tighter hook up and that made the difference on the bounce I felt. The "8" links of chain before the lock point gives me three and a half chain links showing from the bar to the unit. That made all the difference.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I have a 30 ft flying cloud and use the 1000 lb bars. I tow with an f150. I feel light steering and a push/pull movement when big rigs pass from behind. I now have the chains torqued to the 9 link, having increased the torque from the 7 and 8 link. Does anyone have further suggestions? Should I go to a heavier bar? Any help is appreciated.