Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cazenovia , New York
Auto leveling on tow vehicle...

I have a chevy avalanche...when I connect the hitch the auto leveling pump engages and levels out the truck. How does this effect the towability of the AS and TV and the weight distributing hitch. Any insight? Thanks, Randy
arm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Interesting question.

I'm curious about that too.

Should not be too long before someone who knows answers.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't know for sure, but it seems you could end up with too much weight on the rear axle, or too little on the front.

If it were mine, I would disable the auto level, adjust the hitch properly, and then turn the auto level back on, but those are just my thoughts.

What does the owner's manual say about the situation?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
When we went from our 2004 Tahoe to our 2006 we had to make adjustments for our Airstream setup. When we first hooked up with the new truck our tongue was up about 4" too high. We had to purchase a lower hitch and reset the WD. Now all is great!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Randy, we have the same trailer. I still count myself as having at least 900# hitch weight with the front loading of installed WD (weight distribution) gear, propane in the tanks and light clothing/bedding at the front. It's more when I pull with the water tank full -- which I do fairly often when leaving home. Your Avalanche's axle restrictions (GAWR front & rear) are on the driver side door or frame. 900# hitch weight has to be shared with the front axle via WD gear. Just guessing -- but I'd say hitch up, engage the WD bars, then start 'er up and let the auto leveling do its job. I'll certainly bet that such a system would require strictly staying within the vehicle's GVWR. See this -- 'Cargo Weight' is the weight added to the tow vehicle by humans aboard, options, tongue weight, and ...uh ... cargo. I'd take that understanding back to the dealer, walk into the service department and double check this premise until you find somebody who understands what you're asking.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I can't remember . . . does the auto-leveling work with the key off, or just when you turn the key on again?

If the latter is the case, you shouldn't notice the system working if the WDH is set right. You want the WDH leveling the truck, not the air shocks.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
You want the WDH leveling the truck, not the air shocks.
Exactly!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Since the WD hitch is supposed to distribute the hitch weight between the tow vehicle and the trailer, my advice would be to disable the system (if you can) and allow the WD hitch to do its job properly.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I do not think you can turn it off. If this is if the same as my last GM, you have a true air ride system. It has no coil or leaf springs and small air bags similar to a semi. The system has a compressor, leveling system and all automatic. If it is turned off, eventually the air bags will deflate and you are sitting rock bottom on the axle.

I would set the ball height as per specs, hook it up, let the system level, then if using a reese dual cam use 5 chain links. You will then release weight on the rear of the vehicle and it will compensate by releasing air pressure in the bags, this should allow weight transfer to the front of the vehicle. It is a sweet system and I miss it sometimes for the smooth ride it gives. How it will work towing heavy tongue weights and constantly trying to compensate I have no idea. I do know if the compressor run too long it will shut down due to thermal protection. In theory however it will protect your Airstream better than any truck I can think of.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Is there any way to disable it? It WILL mess up the weight distribution of the WD hitch. I have manual air bags on my truck and they are fully deflated when towing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm4
I have a chevy avalanche...when I connect the hitch the auto leveling pump engages and levels out the truck. How does this effect the towability of the AS and TV and the weight distributing hitch. Any insight? Thanks, Randy
Automatic leveling destroys the function of a load equalizing hitch.

The automatic leveling, "MUST" be disabled, and the pressure set to minimum, which is usually 20 psi.

That will allow the load equalizing hitch to function properly, "IF" it's the correct rating, properly installed, and, properly adjusted.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Automatic leveling destroys the function of a load equalizing hitch.

The automatic leveling, "MUST" be disabled, and the pressure set to minimum, which is usually 20 psi.

That will allow the load equalizing hitch to function properly, "IF" it's the correct rating, properly installed, and, properly adjusted.

Andy
Interesting Andy I have thought about this many times. ARM 4 do what inland says, and as I recall towing the boat the front end of the vehicle always felt light. This has to be a very common problem as the system is popular in the GM line up. I wonder how many rigs are going down the road thinking they are set properly and the WD has been eliminated? Still, when just driving it empty it was smooth as can be. Weight distribution is the key to a happy tow with an A/S so heads up to all.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500 w/autoride and pull a 1971 28' Avion w/Hensley Hitch. I have pulled for 2 years with this set-up and it works great for me. Here's how I set up. Load the TV with whatever you'll take on your trip. Start the engine and let autoride level the TV load. Shut off engine. Hookup TT and set up whatever WD you choose to use. Start engine and you may hear autoride engage for just a few seconds. Drive away and enjoy your trip.

"If the women don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.” Red Green.
TheLuvShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You want to disable that system and set the truck and trailer up per the hitch instruction. If you set the rig up correctly there will be no need for the leveling system.

If you rely on the leveling system to level the rig you have no idea where you are carring the weight and as noted above may be puting weight on the wrong axles.

Just pull the fuse on that system while you are towing. If it is not clearly marked on the fuse panel any "Stealer" should be able to tell you which one it is.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm4
You can install a "in line" switch to disable the compressor.

If you do that, you should also install a "air pressure gauge" to monitor the air pressure, to make sure that the air bags or air shocks are at minimum pressure.

That would also require a "bleed off valve," so that the air pressure can be reduced to the minimum.

If you do the above three items, your tow vehcile air ride system will not interfer with the load equalizing hitch.

If you do not wish to do all three, then don't bother with any of them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi arm4...

and welcome to the a/s world of mixed up information, fables, lies and videotape!

there are multiple formats of 'autolevel' and they don't all function alike...

you'll need to sort out EXACTLY how the system on your rolling snownrock slide works.

this might require input for one of the company engineers (or a lavanche specific forum)

regardless, then take your rig to a SCALE and record weights for f/r tv axles with the system active...

and with/without spring bars tensioned.

richL tows with a different brand of autolevel and has covered some of the issues in threads here OR in his web-log

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html

Tour of America

he's also weighed the combo a few times and seems satisfied with using w/d AND auto-level for 10s of thousands of miles.

like so many 6 sided issues here folks can get BURIED in debris and need to know how 2 dig our own breathing hole...

in case of an avalanche...

cheers
2air'

lastly YOUR auto level system was designed and built sometime during the current century?

so be careful with dated advice about disabling the system or adding pressure gauges, that ARE ALREADY built in to it...

monkey-ing around with MODERN on board suspension systems, may void the warranty coverage...

might certainly lead to unstable handling changes, or lead to some deadly accident while driving.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I need to amend my response. While I believe it is correct for vehicles with steel springs and air shocks, the GM system is in fact an "air ride" as someone else noted. There are no separate springs.

The best way to set up the hitch in this case would be to take the whole works to a scale to determine how much tension is really needed. Basically, you would be looking for front and rear axle loading to be relatively equal, and within GAWR limits. Consider that this is not a stiffly sprung pickup, which might be OK with more weight on the rear axle.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I was going to stay out of this, but, I believe Albertf and 2air have gotten this back on track.
No-one on the GM side of the shop could tell me what the standard suspension is for this truck. (They're Buick guys). A quick check on Alldata found at least two types of rear suspension.
You've got to find out what you've got, check the owners manual to see if there's any set up procedure and, if not available, call GM customer service to see if they have any input.
My Ford has air suspension, no metal springs. They call for measuring ride height front and rear on the TV. Turn off the air. Set the WD bars until the ride is within 1/2 inch of the original measurement. Turn the air back on.
This works just fine pulling the GT.

Just thinkin' off the top of my head,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The Facts Ma'am, Just The Facts

Just purchased an 06 Burb with Autoride, the only way to know for sure

is a trip to the scales.

Here's what I know....:: Delphi Media Room :: Delphi's Autoride(TM) Helps Make General Motors Vehicles 'Safe & Secure'

Rear air controlled SHOCKS, not springs.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I can envision problems that might occur with a TV load-levelling system and a weight-distributing hitch - but I sure would like to see an authoritaritive presentation of the dynamics involved. I'm sure that I'm not the only one! Now, if someone can just find a source-----

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote