Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Airstream Accident with Hensley

I don't know if it's been posted here or not, but I just found this picture on the rvnet forum showing an Airstream in an accident being towed with a Hensley.

I believe a member of that forum took the picture on the road, but did not know the particulars of the accident.

Makes you cringe.

Let's see if this works:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13835376@N03/14999239856/
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Unfortunate but looks like everything is upright. Wonder if it's one of our WBCCI or forum members?

The context of the thread title seems to indicate the Hensley caused it?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Doug - I think because we Hensley/PP users talk about the sway prevention, there's an assumption we think accidents are impossible. That's just not the case. Lots of stuff can wreck TV and TT no matter what hitch you use.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Doubtful that a properly installed and used Hensley could cause an accident. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I think that ought to buff out...

-Red
Old 09-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Doubtful that a properly installed and used Hensley could cause an accident. Jim
Or be expected to completely eliminate the possibility.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
After towing many years with many different types of trailers and hitches, I have decided that the most important deterrent to an accident is the driver. Staying alert, watching your speed especially on curves and downhill and knowing how your rig reacts, will serve you well.

My biggest complaint with this forum is the finite laws that so many espouse, such as, "you will have an accident if you don't have a Hensley or Pro Pride, or if you don't have Michelins and are running Goodyear Marathons, or if your trailer is not Silver..."

Not sure what caused the accident, only hope that no one was injured.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
After towing many years with many different types of trailers and hitches, I have decided that the most important deterrent to an accident is the driver. Staying alert, watching your speed especially on curves and downhill and knowing how your rig reacts, will serve you well.

My biggest complaint with this forum is the finite laws that so many espouse, such as, "you will have an accident if you don't have a Hensley or Pro Pride, or if you don't have Michelins and are running Goodyear Marathons, or if your trailer is not Silver..."

Totally agreed! Well said.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA

Crazy
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post

Echo your sentiment. We are all allowed an opinion, but an opinion is not necessarily experience or a fact.

I'll add a reinforcement for following distance from the vehicle ahead of your rig. I'm sure we've all been in a situation where we leave an "appropriate" following distance only to have someone take your space cushion as theirs.

This is based on an observation from today driving home.

4 lane divided highway 70MPH limit, bunch of packed traffic at an exit ramp starts to show brake lights, a tractor trailer in the left lane apparently had a circumstance in from of him that caused him to swerve left onto the grass which was sloping down to a virtual forest of trees. The tractor trailer was off of the paved road, leaning down the slope, I was pretty sure I was seeing a major accident unfold in front of me, but the driver somehow maintained and kept enough control to NOT loose control and put the 18 wheeler back on paved roads.

Yes, I did not see HIS circumstances but I bet he wished he had more space in front of him when he grabbed the brakes, swerved and prayed.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post

Yes, I did not see HIS circumstances but I bet he wished he had more space in front of him when he grabbed the brakes, swerved and prayed.
Unfortunately, you cannot control the space in front of you. Especially driving a big rig. Drivers will do some pretty stupid things with what space is in front of a big rig. I know, I have had the experience from the seat of a big rig.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Airstream Accident with Hensley

I don't think that my Hensley really makes my trailer markedly safer to drive because I endeavor to know my trailers limitations and I drive with the intent of NOT having an accident either with or without the hitch.

However,,,, the Hensley DOES make my trailer a lot more pleasant to pull down the road.

This accident has been shared elsewhere on the forum, and like here, there were no details that would explain just how this accident might have happened, pretty much just a picture...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I guess lots of things could have happened but my guess is the brakes may not have been working on the trailer, there was a case of the Hensley bump that could have pushed the rear of the tow vehicle out of line......

Who knows?

I had a bad brake controller a few years ago. Coming to a hard stop I could feel the trailer pushing hard on the rear of the truck. Under less than ideal conditions my situation could have gotten worse.
A side benefit of a Hensley is that it will let you know how well the trailer brakes are adjusted and working.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My guess is that a Moose ran in front of them causing the driver to swerve wildly out of control to avoid hitting said moose because he was a vegan and did not want to be accused of cruelty to a dumb as a bag of rocks animal.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Vegans seldom drive big ole Expeditions...

But seriously,,,

It is hard to tell, there is not enough picture to tell if the expedition has front end damage or if the trailer might have rear end damage that might tell a more full story.

More accurate suppositions could be made if we were aware of where damage is, and where damage is not....

As far as we might know, the drivers side could be wiped out....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote