Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
25-Footer with a Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI

I'm picking up a 25" International this Saturday. Very excited. Have had two other Airstreams before. ('64" Bambi II and a '06 Bambi 19").

The dealer insists that it will tow like butter and there is no need for a sway control set up with this rig. I have a 2010, 1500 Dodge Ram with the full tow package. (3:90 gear ratio, etc, etc).

I do have an older Ez Lift that I can take along off of my Mother-In -Laws rig. I towed her 28" Terry box trailer and even with the sway control it towed terribly.

Prior, I had a Ford F250 and a 19" foot Bambi and I never needed any sway control. Even in canyons it felt fine. However, this is a whole other ball game, I think... Any thoughts?
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
_

. , .
it's not clear if you are referring only 2 sway control devices...

or weight distribution with/out the cams, outriggers or other friction/sway dampening...

this new 25 will have a tongue weight approaching 1000 lbs (will lp gas, options and bedroom gear)

so w/d is required (generally above 550-750 lbs) even on a truck...

the truck owners manual has some basic info on the receiver capacity with/out w-d gear.

it is also essential to weigh the truck/trailer combo (go to a catscale) at the axles,

in order to properly dial in w/d, tire inflations and check for maxing out the payload....
________

the topic of "do i need s...." has been regularly beaten on here, in 100s of threads.

advance search using the S word only in titles and 150 threads show up...

or simply scan the hitch sub forum and look for threads on this topic...

here are a few recent or toothy threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-61167.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...mbi-66730.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-17986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-37238.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-me-28120.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ion-15299.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...cle-12706.html

the newest rams (and many other vehicles) have an enhanced traction control system that incorporates yaw sensors...

these selective brake/throttle systems are the next big thing in towing,

but imo do not replace a good hitch apparatus, proper attention to tires, trailer loading and driver skills.

many have their favorite hitch'n gizmo, look over just a few of these popular threads...

Hitches - Airstream Forums
_________

congrats on the new stream and safe travels...

and to paraphrase a quote u might recognize...

if you plan on a long term towing experience, don't buy a short term hitch apparatus....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I know it's been beaten to death on here. I wasn't being lazy, but I figured a few people would have a late model Dodge Ram and a late model 25" International and was wondering how they are doing it.

Thanks for the info. I suppose it's time to slog through all of the posts.

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
_

. , .
it's not about being lazy,

it's about deciding what approach works best.

and that gets very personal.

how much towing, how often, at what speeds, where and so on...

the majority here appear to be using sway devices or recommend that others do ...

again w/d is required (for the receiver) at this size/weight of trailer...

while the 3.9 gearing and hemi are nice choices, pulling capacity is different than controllability.

the factors that make for 'comfortable towing' vary widely by person, even with the same rig combos.

lots of threads on towing with the half tun trucks.

the conservative faction generally suggests a new 25 is at the upper limits for a 1500/150 size truck.

because payload is easily exceeded by a combination of tongue weight, hitch, gear, toys and passengers...

apparently your history is not using sway control and there are those here who support that approach too.

there are a few threads primarily related to the horned hemi crowd like these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...emi-70831.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...emi-66408.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-60793.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I have a 25' International and pulled it with a big Nissan SUV. It had some short-comings but many here on the Forums assured me the Nissan was adequate. We were returning from a three week haul through northern Michigan and I mentioned to my wife that I didn't like pulling with the Nissan and she agreed that perhaps another vehicle would be better. We ended up with a Suburban 2500 that I absolutely love. What a difference. As several have said in this and other threads, the 25' Intern'l is close to the break point of needing more truck so I got more truck up front and absolutely love the difference. DON'T cut yourself short - better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Well, I just bought the Ram about 1 1/2 months ago, so I'm going to have to use that for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
I have a 25' International and pulled it with a big Nissan SUV. It had some short-comings but many here on the Forums assured me the Nissan was adequate. We were returning from a three week haul through northern Michigan and I mentioned to my wife that I didn't like pulling with the Nissan and she agreed that perhaps another vehicle would be better. We ended up with a Suburban 2500 that I absolutely love. What a difference. As several have said in this and other threads, the 25' Intern'l is close to the break point of needing more truck so I got more truck up front and absolutely love the difference. DON'T cut yourself short - better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Last year a friend of mine rented a 2008 25 foot AS Safari, and pulled it with his 1500 quad cab dodge hemi, I followed him towing my bambi. He did not want to pay the extra money for the WD hitch, ( I am supprised that the owner does not require the WD, but has chosen to supply the WD at an extra cost.) This was a short trip through the Texas Hill Country, I noticed he had no problems with power at our elevation, ( he has a lead foot even pulling the trailer, and was driving down Hwy 71 West at 80mph) The rear end of the truck sagged while loaded and the back of the trailer did sway slightly over the rough parts of the Hwy. He told me after the trip, that he did not know that the AS was behind him except at the gas stations. I would have used the WD hitch to make the trailer and Tow vehicle level, to reduce chances of sway and added saftey. Also an easy 68mph is better for gas. Just my observations of traveling with someone towing the setup you are asking about.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
You will need weight distrubution for you 1500. I have a 2008 Dodge 2500 HD for my 27' Airstream and without weight control my truck squated more than 2" -- right onto the helper springs. I am also quite close to the carrying capacity of the truck when I tow the trailer and without WD most of the weight is on the rear axle rather then being distributed between the back and front like it would if the weight was in the bed. Furthermore, having the weight behind the rear axle removes weight from the front tires making steering less reliable.

Like many others I definitely recommend sway control -- not because you need it for normal travel but for emergencies. I helps keep the trailer from passing you on black ice and panic stops. It is not perfect, but it does add some degree of safety.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Well I will be pulling a 27FB international with a 2010 Ram 1500. I plan on a w/d and dual antsway to complete my tow package.

Mifair
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Please take a look at my earlier post.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post911593
The fact that you have the 3.92 rear end; towing will be a breeze.
But I STRONGLY recommend at least a W/D hitch.

Good luck,
Ron

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 27' 1973 Overlander and I pull it with a 2006 dodge ram 1500 4.7L engine, 3.55 rear end. It does fine for what we use it for. No problems around the area. I pulled the trailer 3,300 mile this past summer and only ran into problems in hilly areas in West Virgina and some other states. I don't go fast with or without the trailer. I usually like to stay about 60 and enjoy the ride.

I bought the truck before I happened upon the Airstream. I asked the folks at dodge about the Ram specs and towing a 4800 pound trailer. They felt I was good to go. I would like to have a bigger truck but my budget and other needs keep me from upgrading. I just will make do with what I have and so far no complaints.

Brian
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My Dodge owners manual tells me that any TW above 350-lbs requires a weight-distribution hitch, 1/2T or 1T. It isn't hard to set up, it isn't expensive (even the best ones), and it makes a noticeable difference. Braking, handling and all are affected negatively without the leverage given by a WDH.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Towed her home about 200 miles with the "Equalizer" hitch. Worked really well during that time. From Paso Robles, CA to Los Angeles there are hills, rough road at times and tons and tons of trucks. No sway! A little bouncy from time to time in the slow lane from all of the trucks beating the road for years.

This dealer prefers the "Equalizer" hitch. They really didn't have anything else and there is no dealers for Hensley or Pro Pride around. All order stuff. Anyway, the EQ worked really well. I also have an 18" cargo trailer, so if I wind up with a Hensley or Pro Pride later, I can use it on the cargo trailer and I won't feel like I wasted money. Besides, that thing gets heavy!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.JPG
Views:	2660
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	115561  
Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
_

. , .
looks great!

the trucks got plenty of go power,

and the eq' is a very popular hitch.

have fun with the new toyz.

cheers
2air'

Old 11-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Good looking setup! The silver Ram looks great with the Airstream.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm going to follow your posts with interest regarding the Ram Hemi. One side of me would really like a trimmer more fun to drive tow vehicle. I was looking at the Ram 1500 RT and see the hemi, 4.10 ratio, brake controller etc. At least on paper it looks like it would handle a 25' Safari. And when the trailer is unhooked it looks like it would be fun to drive.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
So far so good! Working well as of this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I'm going to follow your posts with interest regarding the Ram Hemi. One side of me would really like a trimmer more fun to drive tow vehicle. I was looking at the Ram 1500 RT and see the hemi, 4.10 ratio, brake controller etc. At least on paper it looks like it would handle a 25' Safari. And when the trailer is unhooked it looks like it would be fun to drive.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
TPI, I have exactly the same sentiments, and was actually looking at a new Ram 1500 before I traded for my current truck. Might have given it much more consideration except for a totally obnoxious sales person. Anyway, I know a guy that tows a 28' Airstream with a Dodge Ram 1500, and reports it does the job very well, and at the same time gets better fuel mileage than his running mate's simularly equipped GM truck.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
TPI,

The reason I bought this truck was to try and sort of make it do everything. Meaning, besides tow our Airstream, make it the key vehicle for the family. Wife can drive our 16 month old around, be able to park it fairly easy, be able to go into parking structures easily and all the things you can do with an SUV. It does a pretty damn good job of it all. The coil suspension this year is the only truck to offer it. That being said, it does drop quite a bit under load of the trailer. (Trying a different WD this week).
Overall, I love this truck. The Hemi does the trick! If I were buying simply a tow vehicle, it would have probably been a diesel. I also like 4x4 just in case. I had a Ford F-250 Diesel 4x4 and loved it. It more than towed the 19' footer at the time. However, it was NOT a friendly truck for everyday for my wife. Finding diesel can also be a pain in the butt.

I have about 4k miles on her so far. I have only done 200 miles whilst towing and we are going out this weekend again as well. It has really done the job for us so far on all levels. If we were full timers I would have purchased a 2500. For around town and everything in between, this truck rocks. Has the ECO system (runs 6 cyls when not accelerating) and has super nice appointments inside and out. Dodge has really stepped up their game these days!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
AirHeadRik,

I guarantee you will like the ProPride. I used to tow with a Reese Dual Cam hitch, and the ProPride is so much better they are not even in the same league.

Yes, it costs more, but like many things, it's worth it. And, in the grand scheme of things like relating the cost of it to the cost of your tow vehicle and trailer, and more importantly, the safety of your family, I think they are more than worth the money. No, I don't work for ProPride...just a totally happy owner.

Tags