Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to VOTE LONG! I like the ride. Im used to small places wiff big trucks ,so backing is no problem.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
IMHO the long truck and the long trailer combination is only perceived as a problem by those who tow with shorter TVs. I've yet to hear anyone complain - "seriously" complain - that their CC pickup with an 8' bed is too long. Most know that the stability when towing is outstanding - especially with the duallies - and the capacity of the 8' bed is a real plus. I've never yet found an RV park that didn't have a large enough parking spot for me. Granted, I've had to request an alternate spot on several occasions - but, in truth, I would most likely have needed a larger spot even if I had been driving a Tahoe (---or similar length vehicle.) The wheel pants on the dually have never been a serious problem.

Here's to Texas-size trucks with an attitude!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
IMHO the long truck and the long trailer combination is only perceived as a problem by those who tow with shorter TVs. I've yet to hear anyone complain - "seriously" complain - that their CC pickup with an 8' bed is too long. Most know that the stability when towing is outstanding - especially with the duallies - and the capacity of the 8' bed is a real plus. I've never yet found an RV park that didn't have a large enough parking spot for me. Granted, I've had to request an alternate spot on several occasions - but, in truth, I would most likely have needed a larger spot even if I had been driving a Tahoe (---or similar length vehicle.) The wheel pants on the dually have never been a serious problem.

Here's to Texas-size trucks with an attitude!

He said "wheel pants"..............that's funny
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
He said "wheel pants"..............that's funny
I thought he really meant "fenders", but this is all new to me. I have gained an insight into the mindset of people with duallies (or is it "duallys"?). I'm fairly confident they would never be called "wheel dresses" or a "wheel frock".

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have experience towing a 28' enclosed car trailer with a full size Bronco (terrifying), with a 3/4 ton Suburban (good handling, lousy ABS, semi terrifying), a 31' Airstream with a 3/4 ton Supercab, 8' bed Ford Super Duty (never an issue with control or power), and now with a 2005 diesel Excursion (not as good as the longer wheelbased F-250) Regarding emergency handling, the F-250 took us through a harrowing lane change at 60 mph when the car in front made a sudden lane change and revealed some furniture in the center of our lane. There was no sense of control loss even though we were turning sharply enough that I could see the entire left side of the Airstream in my side mirror. I honestly don't believe that my Excursion would handle the situation as well. IMHO

So, my 2 cents is Wheelbase? - the more the better.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I thought he really meant "fenders", but this is all new to me. I have gained an insight into the mindset of people with duallies (or is it "duallys"?). I'm fairly confident they would never be called "wheel dresses" or a "wheel frock".

Gene
No one has more fun than people Especially when its getting late and some of us get a little punchy
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I think that "wheel pants" originated from the name applied to the fenders on fixed-gear aircraft - or the fuselage cover that opened up when the wheels were lowered on retractable gear aircraft. It just seems to fit for the bulging fenders on a dual wheel truck - and I'm sure as heck not the first to apply the terminology in that manner! We lost the right wheel cover during a rough landing (---sort of "common") in a Mitsubishi MU-2 and the pilots always referred to the cover as one of the "wheel pants." Maybe one of the forum pilots herein can clear it up? In any event I'm glad it got a chuckle!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Wheel Pants has always been the name of wheel covers on small aircraft and I think still are called that.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgrin View Post
I have a crew cab, short bed. Check out and compare the vehicle dimensions that you are considering. The crew cab is just a little longer than the extended cab and makes moving people much easier. Although I like a long bed, a CC LB 4x4 is a bear to park at the grocery store. Add a 31' AS and you have to park with the 18 wheelers.
Agree with Dieselgrin. I have the long bed crew cab, and if I had it to do over I'd get the shorter bed. Yesterday getting out of the parking lot in Sam's warehouse took 5 attempts due to having a tight backing area with another big truck behind me.

Paula
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd agree a good reason for shorter trucks and trailers is parking lots. On our last trip, it seemed Walmarts and Sam's lots were fuller than ever and finding a place was more difficult. Other markets are even more of a challenge. I haven't had Paula's experience, but I'm sure my time will come. Some of these smaller lots with lots of little roads, trees, etc., can be very difficult and I've scared a few people when I just keep coming—I'm not sure if they expect me to vaporize, but they have a remarkable aversion to sharing the road with big things.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Agree with Dieselgrin. I have the long bed crew cab, and if I had it to do over I'd get the shorter bed. Yesterday getting out of the parking lot in Sam's warehouse took 5 attempts due to having a tight backing area with another big truck behind me.

Paula
-----but Paula, If you parked way out in the deserted area of the lot think of all the exercise you'd be getting! That's another one of the benefits of a long-bed crew cab.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
-----but Paula, If you parked way out in the deserted area of the lot think of all the exercise you'd be getting! That's another one of the benefits of a long-bed crew cab.
It was 19 degrees.... and I did park rather far out. If the weather had been tolerable, I'd have gone WAY out. Problem was that by the time I got back, some OTHER person with a big truck parked almost directly behind me.

I usually park far out and where possible park nose facing out so that I don't have to back out, but that wasn't possible in this situation.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I tow my '63 Tradewind (24') with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel.
When I was a kid my Dad towed Airstreams with Cherolet, Cadillac, & Oldmobile passenger cars with no problems ever. His favorite TV was a 1970 Jeep Wagoneer (hence my Jeep Grand Cherokee),

I believe that it IS important that the tail doesn't wag the dog. Rear overhang is also an important consideration. And finally, sway control is imperative. The Jeep outweighs the Airstream. It has a short rear overhang. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch plus the Jeep has a computerized anti-sway control towing system. And although the wheelbase is only 112", it is similar to most tow vehicles used when this trailer was new.

I have hundreds of pictures of Airstream rallies where there are no TV's equal to the currently popular long wheelbase trucks. Having said that, there were no 34' Airstreams in the 1960's.

The diesel gives me all the torque needed for any grade, while giving good mileage.

Mike Brumback
19063 Tradewind
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
my vote is for the hensley with a 3/4 ton truck once you exceed 30 feet.my rig is no problem backing into a campsite,and i think alot has to do with the manuevaribility of the hensley.towing with a diesel excursion setup with bilstiens and timbrens.no sag,and rock solid.truck is heavier than tow which i beleive adds to the towing comfort.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
my vote is for the hensley with a 3/4 ton truck once you exceed 30 feet.my rig is no problem backing into a campsite,and i think alot has to do with the manuevaribility of the hensley.towing with a diesel excursion setup with bilstiens and timbrens.no sag,and rock solid.truck is heavier than tow which i beleive adds to the towing comfort.
Granted, that sounds like my rig. 160" wheelbase. 34' trailer. Made for a 63' combination, only 9' shorter than the maximum length for a tractor trailer rig. As a former OTR driver I'm familiar with backing long packages . . and I really don't like it a lot. The H/A hitch does add some length.

I still think that 120" to 130" w/b and an H/A or P/Pride hitch sounds unbeatable
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote