Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #501
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
...I think you wouldn't want to add too much to that frame, like a 383, even with a new clip...
Big block Chryslers are not heavy engines. They are closer in weight to a small block Chevy. They're actually even easier to work on than a small block Chrysler (or Chevy for that matter). For instance, changing a water pump is a piece of cake compared to most engines.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #502
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Here's a Viper in a '48 Chrysler Town & Country. Chassis is from Art Carr. Used my T&C to haul a 1942 Chris-Craft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00108.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	157064   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-011S (2) (2).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	157065  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #503
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
For $16K you could have this delivered. Then let the games begin.

2006 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 PARTS SALVAGE CAR XVIPERS OEM GEN 3 GEN III | eBay

Officially the Viper does not have a tow rating. And that doesn't mean the engine isn't set up for it. Because there is more to a tow rating than an engine. (Suspension, brakes, steering and the frame as well) The Dodge Viper was not designed for towing at all. And I would suspect that engine isn't a great source for towing loads over 2000#s anyway. That is a guess on my part. And it would be very cool and have a lot of appeal. YOu would have to drop some serious coin to make that happen.

And my point is you could drop some serious coin for a pristine stock New Yorker T& C that may fetch $25 to $30K on re-sale. I know you don't have that in mind. Going down that road means you have a one of a kind or nearly one of a kind. And it's only money.

>>>>>Action
Old 04-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #504
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
For $16Gs you could have this delivered. Then let the games begin.

2006 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 PARTS SALVAGE CAR XVIPERS OEM GEN 3 GEN III | eBay

Officially the Viper does not have a tow rating. And that doesn't mean the engine isn't set up for it. There is mor eto a tow rating than an engine. (Suspension, brakes, steering and the frame as well) The Viper was not designed for towing.

>>>>>Action
The first Viper engines were based on the Dodge Truck V-10. Cast in aluminum, a lot of the innards were supplied by speed equipment manufacturers. So, check the tow rating of a '96 Dodge truck and you're in business!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #505
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Bredlo... nice Town and Country! I think I saw your into on the HAMB... think you got hit a little hard by the tow police there! Some thoughts.. I'm not sure of your budget, but a 360 would be cheap to buy. Also a a518 AOD from a mid 90's Mopar van or truck would be an easy OD tranny to put behind it. Here's a thread that someone put behind their polyblock v8. Seemed pretty easy to do. Sweptline.ORG • Login

Also, look at Rusty Hope for a disk brake conversion for the front. I used his kit for the front of my '55 Dodge C3 pickup and it's both easy and a sturdy kit. I saw another member on the HAMB used it on his T&C as well.

Look forward to seeing this go forth! Can you pm me a thread link if you decide to put a thread up on some forum?
I like it a lot!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #506
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Tow vehicle + Engine swap = Diesel.

No other way to go unless you are just playing.

I agree with the 5.9 Cummins swap, in 12V or 24V guise.
Lets face it, 600ftlb and 25mpg is so cheap and easy.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #507

1966 28' Ambassador
St Kilda , VIC
Vintage Tow Vehicle Question from Australia!

Hi Everyone,

This is an amazing forum! I have spent hours trawling over all the posts and admiring your photos! I apologise if this question has been answered before, but I could not find it

I have just been given the wonderful task of finding an appropriate tow vehicle for my boss's 1966 Airstream Ambassador and he is keen on a 1950s Chevy Ute (something like this). Our mechanic has told us though that pre 1970s vehicles would be too weak to tow the Airstream because it's chassis is not strong enough. I have seen many of your photos with beautiful vintage cars towing your caravans, so my question is: and a 50s ute tow a '66 Ambassador? If not, what vintage (i.e. curvy) vehicle would suite?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Airstream Novice,
Simon
SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #508
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Simon, there are dozens of models of vintage cars and trucks with perfectly adequate frames. Unibody cars need thought put into the hitch receivers, but there are many with plenty of strength to do the job.
powool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #509
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
Our mechanic has told us though that pre 1970s vehicles would be too weak to tow the Airstream because it's chassis is not strong enough...
My concern would not be the frame, but the brakes. However, original brakes can be, upgraded to disk systems. It's not that uncommon in even mild hotrodding.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #510
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Our mechanic has told us though that pre 1970s vehicles would be too weak to tow the Airstream because it's chassis is not strong enough.
Airstream Novice,
Simon
You can get you mechanic up to speed by showing him this pic from the late 50's....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Rally.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	157265  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #511

1966 28' Ambassador
St Kilda , VIC
Thanks for the advice guys, it seems there is certainly hope for us getting the perfect tower. One more novice question:
How do I calculate the towing capacity of vintage cars/pickups? Is there a calculation? It just doesn't seem to be listed under the specs of many older cars.

Thanks,
Simon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #512
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
You can get you mechanic up to speed by showing him this pic from the late 50's....
Interesting! Quite a few spare tires and wheels mounted at the rear. They must have made better trailers then. Or lighter wheels.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #513
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I agree with the 5.9 Cummins swap, in 12V or 24V guise. Lets face it, 600ftlb and 25mpg is so cheap and easy.
I'd sure be the king of tow vehicles... but I just watched a few YouTube videos of Cummins engines and I'm not sure I can handle that "Big Rig" soundtrack everywhere we go. Cripes they're noisy. Tempting amount of power, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Bredlo... nice Town and Country! I think I saw your into on the HAMB... think you got hit a little hard by the tow police there! Some thoughts.. I'm not sure of your budget, but a 360 would be cheap to buy... Here's a thread that someone put behind their polyblock v8.
Marc, that link didn't show up - I'd love to see more example projects than the couple I've found, if you can find it again.

And yes, the "tow police" were out in full force on the HAMB. Strangely, none of them make a peep when you get home safely... I think they secretly wish I'd wrecked it just so they could cheer, "Toldyaso!"

Quote:
Get an entire high mileage (100k miles) doner vehicle that was rear ended and the sheet metal is ugly... Getting an entire ride means you have all of the engine management pieces. Wiring, sensors, vacuum lines and related parts....
I've heard this advice more than once now, and I'm inclined to think it's pretty smart. It's just a matter of picking the right donor - I don't know where to begin.

Quote:
...if it were me, I would stick with the six and find a hefty stick shift to tow an under 20' Airstream...

And know there is a market for anything and everything you take off no matter what the condition.
Thanks for all the great tips, Action! We already have the '54 Safari... so I think a V8 is simply going to play better when we head into the mountains. That said, this little straight 6 will be fun to take to Friday night cruise-ins for the next couple months, anyhow. And maybe it can help fund the project since it's running perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Mopars rock! The old hemi will be harder to source parts for- I have a 68 with a 318...

...That said your T and C is amazing, and will make a super tow vehicle!
Thanks Globie - you make good points, and I think I'll probably stay away from a period Hemi when a new crate one would be better in several ways (IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Here's a Viper in a '48 Chrysler Town & Country. Chassis is from Art Carr. Used my T&C to haul a 1942 Chris-Craft.
Holy moly, Dennis. That T&C / Chris-Craft combo is just stunning.

As for the Viper V-10, I've gotta think there are more MPG's in something a bit less, um, serpentine? Would be a blast coming out of stoplights, though.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #514
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, it seems there is certainly hope for us getting the perfect tower. One more novice question:
How do I calculate the towing capacity of vintage cars/pickups? Is there a calculation? It just doesn't seem to be listed under the specs of many older cars.

Thanks,
Simon
Towing specs as we know today did not exist prior to the 80's. In the late 70's the CAFE standards were enacted so the job of weight movement slowly began shifting from passenger cars to something else. (Trucks, vans and SUVs)

Speaking from Ford Motor Company products, towing specs were mostly listed in the owner's manuals for models in the 60's and 70's. (I don't have much experience with previous years) I have the factory towing specs for all FLM products in 1966 and the required equipment. Most of the equipment could be added to a vehicle so not equipped. Other manufacturers not so sure.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #515
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Not exactly vintage but Car and Driver tested the big diesel pickups, using the new SAE towing guidelines. It's really interesting, they did all the normal performace tests, acceleration, braking, etc. Then repeated the tests while pulling a 12,000 lb loaded trailer.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab vs. 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty King Ranch 4x4 Crew Cab, 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Mega Cab - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #516
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I see no problem...

I got a car that outweighs the Flying Cloud...by a lot. An aluminum radiator with dual electric fans; rebuilt the transmission; transmission cooler; air shocks and dual disc power brakes; rebuilt the motor just in case; special designed hitch with all new brake wiring system; etc. etc. We call that overkill.

I seem to remember a trip across the USA in a new 54 Buick Roadmaster towing a trailer....it had a bolt on the bumper hitch....thats it. Oh...and a canvas water bag hanging off the front of the hood/bumper. Never had a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buick and Airstream.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	157327  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #517

1966 28' Ambassador
St Kilda , VIC
What are your thoughts on this beauty: 1953 Ford Mainline Utility
It's got an L-head 239-cid V8 with a compression ratio of 7.2:1 and developed 110 horsepower at 3500 rpm, a three-speed manual transmission standard, with synchro on second and third.
Do you think that engine is big enough to tow out 2.5 ton (5000pound) Airstream?

Thanks,
Simon
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #518
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
My New TV 83 Suburban

I found it on Craigslist. It has a 454 crate motor with 54K miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	burb1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	157363  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #519
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
What are your thoughts on this beauty: 1953 Ford Mainline Utility
It's got an L-head 239-cid V8 with a compression ratio of 7.2:1 and developed 110 horsepower at 3500 rpm, a three-speed manual transmission standard, with synchro on second and third.
Do you think that engine is big enough to tow out 2.5 ton (5000pound) Airstream?

Thanks,
Simon
Well, it was built with L-head 239-cid V8 with a compression ratio of 7.2:1 and developed 110 horsepower at 3500 rpm, a three-speed manual transmission standard, with synchro on second and third.

It has a 302 Cleveland and a C10. Even better. Disk front brakes too.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #520

1966 28' Ambassador
St Kilda , VIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Well, it was built with L-head 239-cid V8 with a compression ratio of 7.2:1 and developed 110 horsepower at 3500 rpm, a three-speed manual transmission standard, with synchro on second and third.

It has a 302 Cleveland and a C10. Even better. Disk front brakes too.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Haha, good pickup! Now it looks even better!