Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
TV Input please

We've decided to pull the trigger on a new TV. Specifically, a 2012 Silverado 2500 w/ the duramax. Not having bought new in some time, and mercifully having forgotten about how the dance with the dealership goes, what do you folks think would be fair to expect them to take off the MSRP of such a vehicle. It lists for $57,000 (yikes!). But this is a bucket list thing. Kelly Blue Book claims that I can hope to pay the "fair purchase price" of about $53,000. What has been your experience, those of you who have bought new? Any reason to believe they'd be more flexible given that the '13s are on the lot?
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You can play around with this site to get some pricing ideas:

CarsDirect.com -- America's favorite way to buy new cars and finance online!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We walked out the door for quite a bit less than sticker. I would think because you are looking at a 12 and the 13's are coming...you could easily do the same.
53 sounds reasonable...but do some research and have some facts in your hand/head when you negotiate.
Edmunds is always a good resource.

Good luck...and good choice!
You will love the Durmax/Alli

Bill
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Monkeypants,

We just purchased a 2012 Ram Longhorn (Special Order). We shop until we got $9000 off ($62500 to $52987). There are some awesome deals on 2012's. We used "True Car" which pit three (3) dealerships against each other. Try this and see how low you can get them to go.
Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Chris
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
I've heard that that the end of the month is a good time to get a higher discount, because the dealer is trying to meet certain sales goals, and they're running out of time toward the last few days of the month.
Not sure if it's true or not!
Good luck and enjoy the new ride!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
I purchased my 2500 HD with the Duramax earlier this year. My best pricing was through the Costco auto program. I've heard USAA has a good program also but have no firsthand experience with them.

Very comfortable and very powerful truck. Good luck.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
We've decided to pull the trigger on a new TV. Specifically, a 2012 Silverado 2500 w/ the duramax. Not having bought new in some time, and mercifully having forgotten about how the dance with the dealership goes, what do you folks think would be fair to expect them to take off the MSRP of such a vehicle. It lists for $57,000 (yikes!). But this is a bucket list thing. Kelly Blue Book claims that I can hope to pay the "fair purchase price" of about $53,000. What has been your experience, those of you who have bought new? Any reason to believe they'd be more flexible given that the '13s are on the lot?
Not that you asked BUT (when has that ever stopped moi?)
I went for the quad cab, long bed - and have been wishing I'd gone for the short bed ever since. Just can't stand that four lane turning radius!
Also go ahead and get the four wheel drive - most come that way anyway and wet grass will let you spin out with 2 wheel drive. Also - Gas vs Diesel. The power of diesel is amazing, but the cost of ownership - 9 quarts of synthetic oil every oil change mounts up. It's occasionally nerve wracking looking for a diesel station especially off the freeways. Bless Sheetz - they've been adding diesel pumps just at the end of the pump line and it's easy in - easy out compared to most stations.

Paula
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We used the Consumer Reports "Car Pricing Service". It lists all options available, and shows what the actual costs are, including dealer hold-backs and rebates that you would normally never know about. It will help you determine what the dealer actually paid for the vehicle, so you can decide whether the price they're asking is reasonable. It's the best $14 you'll spend, when purchasing a new car/truck:

https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/ap...r.htm?type=new

Alternately, if you don't like to play the dealer's sales tactics/games, Costco has a vehicle purchasing program that will get you within several hundred dollars of the actual cost with no haggling.

We used the Consumer Reports printouts to determine the options we wanted, then asked the dealer for the Costco price. Ultimately, we saved about $150 more than the Costco program price. I feel like we got a fairly good deal because of the way the finance manager treat us (not a nice person, because we already had pre-approved financing set up through our credit union).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Do your home work on incentive money via mfg's website or Kelly blue book.com.at the dealership just ask to see the real invoice there are two costs listed one is gross invoice and the other is net invoice minus dealer holdback.Usually will sell for net invoice (maybe a little behind)and they keep the mfg to dealer cash(hidden) and give you all the customer rebates or financing.Do your research online so you get all the retail incentives owed to you.
Kelly blue book online is free and if you get a copy of the window sticker you can go down the list and get the dealer cost.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
When dealing with "dealers," always go in as close to the end of the month as possible. Almost all dealerships track monthly targets, and they are much more willing to deal at the end of the month!

Leo

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Thanks everyone!

I'll be heading in to the dealer on Mon. I'll let you know how it works out!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Don't forget to ask about dealership incentives, discounts for veterans, and any other special category that may fit you. I got another $500 off for being a 100% Disabled veteran.

Best wishes.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
Costco has an auto program as does our Southern California auto club, I bought a 2011 Yukon XL dealer driven $6,000 in 2012 on the last day of 0% financing. I looked for this car for a year and negotiated on phone. Buying a slightly used car with new car options full warranty, 0% finance worked for me. We paid about $10k less than sticker although in hindsight I think I would buy 2-3 years old next time, cars taking a beating in price after 3 years.
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
in hindsight I think I would buy 2-3 years old next time, cars taking a beating in price after 3 years.

Unless I were ordering the exact vehicle I wanted (and that based on specific experience) buying after major depreciation is past is the way to go, especially when starting out.

I bought my pickup (signature) at three years. High miles, with 2WD, manual transmission and long bed. Just over one-half the original MSRP. Depreciation has been very, very low in the interim. My cost-per-mile has been quite low overall as it has met the goals of longevity, reliability and low fuel burn per mile while being able to do a high amount of work (payload + towing).

When looking at RV's -- no matter the type -- the cost calculations come down to the per night aboard expenditure. If one is aboard 50 nights per year over 7-years, then enter the cost of both vehicles original purchase price into that. Figure depreciation on both, and adjust to the higher cpn. Then one can enter any and all other costs as seem reasonable. (Obviously, the greater the use, the lower the major costs contained in the cpn. This also means ownership past the mean of 5-7 years).

The depreciation of two new vehicles (TT & TV) can be quite high, but if one (preferably both) are fairly new yet past initial depreciation, then the cpn looks much, much better (if economy is a genuine concern).

There are threads around here about the daily and monthly costs of full-time RV'ng which may be of help in seeing the overall cost of living/travelling this way. Any real economy is within vehicle specifications and their intial price plus finance charges, depreciation and any possible loss of investment income. The fixed + variable costs past that (taxes, insurance, camping fees, fuel, etc) are somewhat subject to owner influence.

Just buying brand-new off of the lot carries penalties that ought to be examined (mainly about useage over time, not so much about miles).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Having worked in domestic auto sales years ago, if you want to get down to the bottom line, ask the dealer to provide you the "Jacket" on the vehicle your interested in.
This is the total cost to the dealer for that vehicle to be at the dealership.
I won't post on purchase strategies, but game on for the salesperson!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
New Tow Vehicle

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	169033
Got the 2012 Silverado 2500 HD w/ duramax. Got it at what I felt was a fair price. Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait to take the 'stream out a couple more times before the end of the season!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Nice truck. We replaced our '03 Chevy Duramax with '12 GMC Duramx earlier this year. Lost a little MPG, but ride and drive is better. Features are better, too.

They moved some off MSRP, but not as much as I remember on the last one.

Enjoy your ride.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Enjoy!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote