Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Tundra 2007

Trailer Life / Feb. 2007 issue has Review of 2007 Tundra. They seemed to like it.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
TL liked it but bemoaned the fact that there is not yet a 3/4 ton.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Toyota gets new Tundra just right - USATODAY.com

I've always been a Chevy guy, but this new Tundra might win me over. The one complaint I have about my Avalanche is that the rear seat isn't quite as roomy as it should be for this size vehicle and the new Tundra seems to have addressed that - see the attached article by the car guy from USA Today. And I've pretty much given up the 'USA only' ideal ... there are no vehicles today that are made, parts and assembly and all, in just one country. It's a global industry/market no matter what make you buy anymore.

With the torque this thing is supposed to have and a towing capacity of over 10K, I'm not sure you'd need a 3/4 ton except for a 30+ foot trailer - the 1/2 ton would certainly pull my 28'er with no problem. I probably won't get rid of my Avalanche for a few years b/c I like it a lot, but ...

bh

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream

With the torque this thing is supposed to have and a towing capacity of over 10K
401 ft. lbs of torque with the optional V8 is pretty impressive, Toyota is also joining NASCAR this year.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Toyota's NASCAR engines are push rod style and have nothing in common with production models.

Check this out:

LIGHT-DUTY DIESEL PICKUP ON DODGE’S HORIZON
Armed with new Cummins clean diesel technology, Dodge will introduce an all-new turbodiesel engine in its light-duty pickups after 2009. The new engine will provide a dramatic increase in low-end torque, up to a 30% improvement in fuel efficiency and a 20% reduction in carbon-dioxide emissions when compared to an equivalent gasoline engine.
"Our all-new Cummins engine will offer future Dodge Ram 1500 customers the ultimate in terms of fuel economy, refinement, reliability and durability," said Tom LaSorda, Chrysler Group President and CEO. "It's another example of the Chrysler Group bringing new, clean, quiet diesel technology to the marketplace."
The new clean diesel engine will meet 50-state emissions standards for 2010. In March of this year, Dodge will offer a 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel in its Ram Heavy Duty trucks. The new engine meets 2010 standards in all 50 states.
"We are pleased to build upon our 18-year partnership and brand franchise with the Chrysler Group by providing our new light-duty diesel-powered engine for use in the Dodge Ram 1500," said Tim Solso, Cummins Chairman and CEO. "We know customers for this product will demand high performance. We also know that we need to be extremely good at fuel efficiency and emissions control in order to succeed in this market. Cummins will use its technology leadership to meet all of those criteria, while providing the driving public with an exciting new diesel engine alternative for the popular Dodge Ram series."
Chrysler Group Diesel-Powered Models
In the United States, current Chrysler Group diesel-powered models include the Dodge Ram Heavy Duty, powered by the new 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel; the all-new Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab, with a new 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel; the Dodge Sprinter, with a 2.7-liter common-rail direct injection (CDI) turbodiesel; and the Jeep Grand Cherokee, featuring a new 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine (which hits the market early this year).
In Europe, diesel-powered models account for more than half of Chrysler Group sales. Diesel versions of numerous Chrysler Group vehicles continue to be popular, including the Chrysler 300C, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Compass, as well as the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber and 2007 Jeep Wrangler.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Toyota gets new Tundra just right - USATODAY.com

I've always been a Chevy guy, but this new Tundra might win me over. The one complaint I have about my Avalanche is that the rear seat isn't quite as roomy as it should be for this size vehicle and the new Tundra seems to have addressed that - see the attached article by the car guy from USA Today. And I've pretty much given up the 'USA only' ideal ... there are no vehicles today that are made, parts and assembly and all, in just one country. It's a global industry/market no matter what make you buy anymore.

With the torque this thing is supposed to have and a towing capacity of over 10K, I'm not sure you'd need a 3/4 ton except for a 30+ foot trailer - the 1/2 ton would certainly pull my 28'er with no problem. I probably won't get rid of my Avalanche for a few years b/c I like it a lot, but ...

bh
I wasn't a big Avalanche fan at first, but I love the new model...only issue is that the new model only comes in a 1/2 ton, similar to what appears to be the same thing about the Tundra.

I'd be careful on the 10k rating until it's got some real world testing. In the "real" world of 3/4 you get much more than just an engine upgrade.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I just got back from a test drive in one, what a truck! I have an 03 with the 4.7 and this was a 5.7 motor, 6 speed automatic, tow mirrors. I can't believe how much nicer this is. Lots of low end power, plenty of torque and a very smooth ride. I am impressed. It almost fits in my garage, after a few mods it will. This one had a sticker price of 33K. Now I have to wait for the right color and interior color to show up...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I just got home earlier today from the PA Outdoor and Sports Show, which is a REALLY hugh outdoor show that specializes in hunting and fishing, with a bit of RVing and boating as well. They must get a few million people there over the course of the week.

Toyota had one of the biggest displays at the entire show, including a couple of their new Tundras. They'd make a nice fishing vehicle, but I'm not sure they are ready to handle my 30' Classic.

Chevrolet also had a number of vehicles on display, but Ford was noticeable by their absence. When I drove by our local Ford dealership on my way home though, I did notice they had one of Ford's new 2008 F450 Superdutys on their front lot - now there's a truck that'll handle ANY Airstream - assuming that their new 6.4L diesel will stay on the road.

John
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Toyota had one of the biggest displays at the entire show, including a couple of their new Tundras. They'd make a nice fishing vehicle, but I'm not sure they are ready to handle my 30' Classic.

Chevrolet also had a number of vehicles on display, but Ford was noticeable by their absence. When I drove by our local Ford dealership on my way home though, I did notice they had one of Ford's new 2008 F450 Superdutys on their front lot - now there's a truck that'll handle ANY Airstream - assuming that their new 6.4L diesel will stay on the road.
Friend of a friend bought an '06 PowerStroke -- already has had to have the engine pulled and a new one dropped in. And I thought the problems were fixed after the '04 issues!

Not for the 30' Classic? Right! Post 39 here gives payload capacities for the '07 Tundras -- pretty much the same as any strong 1/2 ton (all of which exceed the Nissan Titan by a far stretch). Real world hitch weights and the concept of safety margin (not exceeding 85% of a capacity) suggests that the Tundra might suit older, lighter Airstreams in the 24' to 26' range. If you're going to have weights of more than two people aboard and a truck cap, I believe a new 25-footer deserves some caution in pairing with this truck. Whaddya guess pulling that much weight? 9 mpg?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Magazine writer friend of mine always gets a spare key for the test rig. Dodge chip key was $35. Toyota chip key was $140.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I hope that folks go out and trade in '04 and '05 Tundra 4doors like crazy for the '07s! I might be able to pick up a decent deal to replace my '02 6cyl X-cab... although I'm still not sure I like the later models better than my '02... <sigh>

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Almost but not quite

Very nice truck with lots of power, but it still aint a 3/4 ton/heavy duty. We own a Toyota and Lexus, greta cars and SUVs too, but our truck is a big Ford. Until Toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton diesel, the Fords, Chevys and Dodges will rule the towing market. Not to say that the new Tundra doesn't work great for some AS owners, if I owned a smaller AS it would be in my garage.

Time
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Toyota is claiming big numbers ,and 401 ft pounds of torque is quite hefty for a 5.7 gas V-8 ,some real dyno numbers are in order on that one .It takes
alot of modifications on even a GM vortec to pull down 400 FT lbs of torque.
My thoughts are the rest of the drivetrain and the rear axle capacity ,or
rather how big is the ring and pinion gears (dana 60 or 70 territory?) These
huge towing claims need to be more than just the engines power ,many
times that alone is what the manafacturers use to say you can pull a 30ftr
no problem .What kind of oil and trans coolers are standard (if any), things
like that come to mind .A 1/2 ton with a 10,000 lb or greater tow rating
better have a heavy duty drivetrain in it with heavy duty big brakes and
things like that .I like toyota,the quality is good also ,but Im not going to
tow 10.000 lbs with one .This thing needs full floating axles in the rear ,that would be a big plus. My opinion from a technical point of view .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Did you see the ad?

It looked like the Chevy or Ford ring gear would fit inside the ring gear.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
]
Well markdoane ,not quite , the 4.7 uses a 9.5 ring gear and the 5,7
uses the 10 .5 gear very good size .The rotors are 13" diameter + so very good on the brakes .In your video ,you tube ,the guys holding up an 8 "
ring gear( the smaller one).I imagine its a stock toyota pickup ring gear ,have you seen the one ton toyota pickup dually ring gear ? thats the size ,the small one .The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4 ring gear and the 70 has
a 10.5 ring gear,so the 60 ring gear is larger and stronger than the toyota 9.5 and the 70 is the same size .The toyota is offering some heavier drivetrain parts there.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Now that a few members have bought 07 Tundra's, I have a question. Is the connection for the brake controller the same as my 03 Tundra? I would like to put the Prodigy I now have in my 03 into the 07 when I buy it....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemachine
, if I owned a smaller AS it would be in my garage.

Time
Uh, well , have you been outside lately, looked at a tape measure; John You DO own a small Airstream, (devil made me do it) see you in a few weeks! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you seen the latest commercial, where they load 2000 pounds of manure into the bed?
We call 2000 pounds of crap in a 1000 pound bag a "blivet", hope they don't change the name of the truck.
"The all-new Toyota Blivet"...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Size only matters when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemachine
, if I owned a smaller AS it would be in my garage.

Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Uh, well , have you been outside lately, looked at a tape measure; John You DO own a small Airstream, (devil made me do it) see you in a few weeks! Tim
DG..

First of all, you shouldn't blame you actions on Kevbo, second, I don't need no tape measure to know that I could park two 25' Safaris in the hanger you call an Airstream (rumor has it that the thing is so big that you even have an embedded journalist inside covering the rally), but that doesnt make my Airstream small, it just means that yours is bigger. Size is a matter of opinion, and so far, besides you, no one has said that mine is small, after all, it is a wide body.

We can settle this at Casini at the Fire Dancer (with wine).

Now to keep this from being a hijack.......since I posted last on this thread, one of our members bought a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 and is successfully towing their Safari 25FB, at 7300lbs, that is a fairly hefty tow according to most on the forum. The Tundra may be the exception to the concern of towing a 25' or larger with anything less than a 3/4 ton.

Time
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
one of our members bought a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 and is successfully towing their Safari 25FB, at 7300lbs, that is a fairly hefty tow according to most on the forum. The Tundra may be the exception to the concern of towing a 25' or larger with anything less than a 3/4 ton.

Time
Read the Motor Trend comparo of the new Silverado versus the Toyota this weekend. One thing I was very surprised to learn, and have not seen it discussed yet; the very low payload capacity of the Toyota. I would have thought we would not have seen that again after the Nissan debacle, good towing capacity severely limited by lack of payload. The Chevy was listed at ~1600#, the Toyota at only ~1100#. If I were to drop my Excella on the hitch of that Toyota and jump in the cab, I would be all done. I would have to leave the Wife, Kids, bikes, firewood, etc home. This lack of payload really hurt the Nissan in towing as other members on this board found out. Too bad, I am sure it is a nice enough truck but if you want to play in the serious towing game, you need payload in addition to tow capacity. This lack of payload will definitely limit you to towing no more than a 23’er. Even that won’t leave much room for “stuff,” maybe 300# or so at 15% tongue weight...
Anyone considering one of these truck should pay attention and scrutinize how you will load your truck in real world conditions.