Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you go to the Toyota website you will see that the numbers do not match what MT used. The payload for a 4X2 double cab std bed is 1680 lbs. This is slightly more then the numbers posted for the Silverado.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I'm on the fence deciding on a new truck. I can't decide between the 2007 Tundra CrewMax or a left over 2006 Dodge MegaCab Diesel. Even though it's a 2006, it will still be about 5K more. I don't have an AS yet so I probably won't be towing heavy loads for a while.

The AS that we have our sights set on is a 28ft SE for one simple reason, It has to have a bed that is at least as big as the one in our teardrop, which is a queen sized bed. Besides I looked at the weight and there is no weight difference between the 25' and 28' trailers (huh?) for a new model.

All the articles I've read say that the Tundra is very capable. 7300lbs for a 28ft SE is well within the 10,400lb tow rating. Being teardroppers, we pack light so we don't bring too much stuff. We both still work so a 2 week trip is rare.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Looking at the Safari specs page. I do see that there is less than 300# between the 28' & 25' UBW. The GVWRs are the same due to axle capacities; ie, the same axles are installed on each. Significantly the tongue weight for the 28' is 830# and for the 25' it is 720#. With weight distribution gear, LP in the tanks and a spare tire installed I can guarantee that each of these will bump up by 150-200#. The Tundra is still a 1/2 ton truck and probably has less payload capacity than a Detroit HD 1/2-tonner. Tundra specs for payload are at Toyota Tundra - Truck Specs: Auto and Engine Specifications. Subtract real hitch weight from payload capacity of the model you're looking at; this will give you the absolute remaining max load you can put onto the truck for people aboard, accessories, topper, gear in the box, etc. I would never question the Tundra for a 23' or less Airstream. The payload capacity issue causes compromises at 25' -- depends on how you want to travel. 28' is marginal IMO.

Tow capacity numbers are deceiving and do not exist by themselves. Look at all the tow vehicle specs and exceed none of them. Greatest safety is maintained when you stay 15-25% below any spec maximum.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Whoa! I would not suggest hooking up a 28’er to any ½ ton; I don’t care if it is built on Krypton. This is a recipe for ditch diving. Do a search and you will find some members who were fortunate to have survived such incidents.
You may squeak by with a 25’er, but you would be doing just that; squeaking by. OK if you don’t stray far from home or very often. But you will be at the limit of any ½ ton. If you have ambitions of wandering about you really need to be looking at ¾ TV’s for a 25’ or larger. As moosetags is fond of saying “inadequate TV’s are the leading cause of very expensive yard art.”
For an idea of where I am coming from, take a read of my post; http://www.airforums.com/forum...ice-28886.html
Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
I've just bought my first travel trailer and am in the process of buying a suitable TV. I too had considered the Tundra as I have not been a big fan of the quality of the US brands. With that said, when researching the Tundra I quickly realized that once the trailer was connected I couldn't put anything in the truck! That was when my wife was looking at a new 2006 Classic 28 footer. That idea quickly went by the wayside when she found a used 34 footer.

So I'm now in search of the new 2008 F250 or F350 with the diesel engine and auto tranny. I also want to have it configured with the Tow Command option that includes the integrated brake controller. I'd be interested in those of you that have this setup how well it works.

Hopefully I'll have our new truck by this next weekend so we can pickup the new "used" rig (2000 34' Limited). Plus my Hensley hitch arrives Monday.
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A Tundra, even if rated at 7300lbs is not going to cut it as a fully loaded 28' (non vintage) is rated at 7300lbs. You still have passengers, cargo and fuel Asianflava. You will meet or exceed that Toyota spec if in fact it is 7300lbs. You are squarely in 3/4 ton country here at 28'. Yes the new Tundra is better than the old Tundra, but that won't help you much with a 28 footer.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
A Tundra, even if rated at 7300lbs is not going to cut it as a fully loaded 28' (non vintage) is rated at 7300lbs. You still have passengers, cargo and fuel Asianflava. You will meet or exceed that Toyota spec if in fact it is 7300lbs. You are squarely in 3/4 ton country here at 28'. Yes the new Tundra is better than the old Tundra, but that won't help you much with a 28 footer.
That's exactly why I'm buying a Ford F250 SD or the F350 with the diesel Powerstroke engine.
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
That's exactly why I'm buying a Ford F250 SD or the F350 with the diesel Powerstroke engine.
Sounds like the smart choice. I'm happy with my '01 Chevy 2500hd with 8.1 gas/Allison auto combination hooked up to an '86 Sovereign 25'. If diesel was a little cheaper then I might be even happier with a Duramax or the '08 Ford F250 with the new 6.4 twin turbo diesel engine. Time will tell whether Navistar has a hit with this new engine.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Sounds like the smart choice. I'm happy with my '01 Chevy 2500hd with 8.1 gas/Allison auto combination hooked up to an '86 Sovereign 25'. If diesel was a little cheaper then I might be even happier with a Duramax or the '08 Ford F250 with the new 6.4 twin turbo diesel engine. Time will tell whether Navistar has a hit with this new engine.
davidz----Even with diesel fuel prices being more than gas I think you'll fine annual fuel cost with a diesel is less than a big block gaser due to the difference in fuel mileage.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Time will tell whether Navistar has a hit with this new engine.
I too hope the do. Ford needs a good thing to happen after the disaster it faced with the last diesel.

To me I'm with Pieman, the fuel costs can be offset in better mileage and engine life. However, unless you are buying pre-owned and someone else has taken the initial deprecation hit, that $5k premium for a new diesel combo is pretty steep. You'd have to be a full timer or drive a LOT of miles to make up that premium hit --or-- you'd have to have a massive load to justifiy it. The 8.1L is great and will do the trick and you can buy a LOT of fuel, at least for now for that $5k upcharge for a new diesel.

Toyota now, from what I've read has picked up a stake in Isuzu that GM dumped. I think it could be a matter of time before Toyota starts putting some diesels in the Tundra. I've heard and read several reports as I am sure most of us have....if they do, time will tell if Toyota forces the issue on these large upcharges to go to diesel, or if Toyota will simply jump on the $5k bandwagon.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The problem that seems to continually exist with regards to tow vehicals
and specifically to the tundra offering for 07 ,is the HUGE tow rating touted
by the manafacturer .The idea of 10400 pounds of tow capacity is really
great if it were to be true ,or more than the idea of the truck "just" pulling
that load down the flat level street .Many here have noted ,its still a 1/2 ton
vehical .Why would Toyota want to claim 1 ton class towing and yet still
call the truck a 1/2 ton ? reminds me of a 1989 red toyota pickup I was
behind on the freeway the other day ,it said 1 ton on the tailgate in the
typicle toyota decal styling of those years .There were a few sold like that
and they are in NO way anything 1 ton ,no dually rear axle with full floating hubs ,same small rear end as the standard truck ,many may remember
the many sob motorhomes on the Toyota chassis that had wheel bearing failures continually due to the standard pickup rear end being installed with that Add A Wheel dually conversion .All the US made big three trucks offer
big tow capacity ,yet back it up with the frame and wheelbase length and
other heavy duty features .I think toyota is doing good finally offering
bigger brakes and large ring and pinion gears (its about time ) and the truck
does indeed look solid and capable for sure ,toyota needs not to try to oversell it on the high capacity tow rating .I think people are going to get into trouble towing such a huge load with a 1/2 ton rated pickup .Of course
it's just an opinion here and folks can give it a shot ,but Im thinking its a bad idea .I see the new Nissan titan ad shows same go with more show as they
put it ,lots of the bright work chrome accessorys and such .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Many of the posts refer to 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks. How do you define 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton? Is it defined by how much load the truck can carry or what?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Many of the posts refer to 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks. How do you define 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton? Is it defined by how much load the truck can carry or what?
Defined by the bed payload.

1/2 ton is 1000 lbs

3/4 ton is 1500 lbs

1 ton is 2000 lbs
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Something I noticed on the Toyota literature. The payload specs had a note saying that weights included passengers. How many people is that? 1 or 4?