Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
Truck Decisions

Hello all,

This is my (our) first post here at this Airstream forum. We have read a lot of interesting, fun, and useful posts on this forum and have concluded that there is a great group of people here to chat with so we have joined the forum.

My wife and I are slowly taking the steps necessary to purchase our first travel trailer. Our dream, our preference is for that trailer to be an Airstream. We have looked at several of the current models in the Airstream line up and have decided that a 28W CCD or 28W Safari SE is the perfect Airstream (at least for us). The 28W is a nice combination of size being not massive, but also being not too small. The positives for this model are the walk around bed, and the distinctly defined areas within it. We particularly like the fact that there is a small living area for lounging, an eat-in kitchen, distinct bathroom area, and finally a bedroom with a nice sized walk around bed. We feel that this one trailer model could serve us the rest of our traveling days.

At this time we are looking for a new truck because we need one for general daily use. But we know that since a travel trailer is likely in the near future it only makes sense to obtain a truck now that will meet those towing needs.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to buy something once by buying right. Hence the desire to purchase a long lasting trailer like and Airstream, and we feel that the 28W can serve us in our short trip needs, and later on when retired we can comfortably use it for extended travel.

We are looking at the newly revised 2007 GMC Sierra 1/2 truck (ext cab with standard box bed) equipped with the MAX towing package. This model has the 6.0L V8 and features the upgraded brakes, suspension, heavy duty 3.73 rear end, and has the transmission cooler, etc, etc. The max. tow capacity is 10,300 lbs, GCVW is 16000 lbs, max cargo is 2160 lbs, and curb weight is just under 5000lbs, the wheelbase is 143.5".

The Airstream CCD 28W has a GVWR of 7300 lbs, UBW of about 5440, NCC of about 1865, and has a tongue weight of about 880.

With it just being my wife and me and our two dogs (two 5lb Chihuahuas) we feel that the truck even with the tongue weight and our other cargo will be well below the trucks max cargo capacity we'll probably be around 1200 lbs on the truck with trailer hooked up. Assuming a full trailer @ 7300 lbs and our added weight on the truck itself I'm thinking this truck will meet out towing needs with the 28W Airstream configurations.

Do you all think I'm figuring this correctly? Will we have sufficient "towing gravy"?

GMC does have a 3/4 ton version of this truck also with the 6.0L motor that has a 10,200 lb towing rating with a higher truck cargo capacity but I think this truck is a bit more than we would need for daily use and since it weighs about 500lb more than the 1/2 ton variant it will be more costly to run and higher priced in the initial purchase cost. So we are leaning toward the 1/2 ton with MAX package towing equipment described above.

Any experienced opinions out there willing to chime in with opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Bill

PS, I hope you all will not mind us hanging around this forum a while and talking about Airstreams, etc even though we don't yet have one .
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi bill and welcome to the forums and airstreams....

much depends on how often you will tow...

and to what location.

and IF the truck is the only vehicle for daily driving.

at 28ft for the airstream in question,

a 3/4 ton anything will work much better...

i love the diesel and the built-in brake controller on the ford.

yes the truck you are considering will pull it.

but so will the new toyota tundra,

and it's built in texas!

also consider than many many first time a/s buyers upgrade to a larger unit in the first 2 years of ownership....

so i'd perfer more truck than any 1/2 ton.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. You will all the Airstream information that you want here.

I have to agree with 2air. You should wait unitil June for the release of the new platform GM 2500 pick-ups. You will be much more comfortable towing a 28 with a 3/4 ton TV. A half ton would be straining. You will really appreciate all of the heavy duty features that come on a 3/4 ton.

We have an '05 25' Safari that we have towed with our 1/2 ton Tahoe, and the TV is marginal. We also have a 2500 Suburban that we tow with, and it does the job. We only use the Tahoe for short hauls in flat country.

Remember that an insufficient tow vehicle is the primary cause of perfectly good Airstreams becoming very expensive pieces of yard art.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Bill, our first trailer was a 25' Safari. We pulled with a 2005 Silverado HD CC with the 6.0 engine. Worked fine in this part of the country but it was under powered on the hills. After 6 months of owning the trailer, we knew an upgrade was going to happen. Based on that we bought a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD CC with the Duramax, then bought the 28' Classic. I think the first truck would have been under powered for the new trailer. The diesel will hold its speed (65 mph) up hills without straining.

Wish I had planned better on the front end and bought the 2500 and the 28' first. Would have saved a bunch of money! You are doing it right by thinking and asking.

Good luck on your purchases.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up Tow vehicle

Hi,
Do not get anything smaller than 3/4 ton. Also get the heavy duty towing package. This will give you a trans cooler and a bigger radiator. My prefarance is Chev. 3/4 ton with a standart trans. Great for hills and for mpg. When I say great for hills it means up and down. I use very brakes as little as posible. The Chev Duramax has an Alison trans. that when you tap the brakes it down shifts automaticly. Great for down the long hills.
Regards from Russell in sunny and warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bill, if given the choice, I'd go 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton. The operating costs day to day between the two are hard to notice. If the MAX as you call is GMCs version of the 1500HD, then you could be in good shape, but if you are truely the type that like to do it right the first time, go 3/4 ton and if possible grab a diesel if you plan many trips with high miles. Long run, the diesel truck and the Airstream will most likely outlive you both.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Silvertwinkie,

The MAX towing package is the eqivelent of the 1500HD, at least that's what the sales guy has mentioned. It is a significant upgrade to the 1/2 tons towing capability and is the reason why the towing capacity of this particular 1/2 ton enters the range of the 3/4 ton's basic towing ability. More info is available here: GMC | ALL-New GMC Sierra: Trucks: 1500, 2500HD, 3500 Pickups: ALL-New Sierra Specifications click on the towing capacity link.

I'm in no rush (much to the salesman's chagrin) it may well be June before I do any purchasing.

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
2air,

I did look at the '07 Tundra and actually drove one with the monster 5.7L V8 it was a nice truck, had tons of power. However, it was pricey at about $3K over the comparably equipped Sierra, and that was directly comparing MSRPs the Toyota guys were not really budging much on price and the GM guys are so I imagine I can get into a comparable GM product for about $5K to $6K less than the Toyota. Oh and the Toyota is kind of ugly to boot. The Sierra/Silverado are better riding and quieter than the Tundra that is for sure and with the MAX towing package they are basically as capable in the towing department as the Toyota. Also I liked the dash better in the GM products than the one offered in the Toyota. The GMs were basically more comfortable than the Toyota which surprised me. I do think that the new 1/2 ton Toyota would tow this 28W Airstream if properly equipped, I also think the Sierra/Silverado 1/2 will too if properly equipped. But I want to be dad-gum sure it will.

Thanks for your info. and the welcome!

Bill
Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Bill:

I pull our 28' SE with a 1/2 ton Chev Avalanche. It gets the job done, but I'm well aware I'm pushing it's limits and I generally don't leave flat land. Still, I haven't found the 28'er to be difficult to handle at all, so my personal feeling is that the 1/2 ton GMC MAX is more than sufficient - heck, it's 10,300 lb capacity is 30% above the GVWR of a 28' trailer!

I've noticed the consensus among forum regulars always seems to be the bigger the better, the more powerful the better, and so on, and it's obviously true that if you go to a heavier duty TV the trailer will be easier to pull, no doubt. However, you WILL sacrifice daily comfort. I've owned an F25O and two Chevy 1/2 tons now, and the difference in the ride quality is night and day. The F250 drove like a buckboard wagon.

The choice you make should really depend on which use is more important to you - daily driving or towing. Just because a 3/4 ton would pull your trailer easier doesn't mean it would unsafe or even difficult to pull it with the 1/2 ton GMC MAX.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have a 06 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.9 v8 and a 27ft a/s and it will tow it but it has to grunt hard on a slight hill need more horses only have a few ponies under the hood. I would get a 3/4 ton as soon as I can untill then just towing locally and 60 mph is about all the old girl will do.

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The best feature of any 'Big Tow' or 'MAX' package will be the transmission cooler. Full sized brakes & differentials shoulda been there all along -- the new Tundra is listening but the Titan never quite got there (the Big Three always have!). There are further issues whether you label your TV with an HD or 'MAX' package title.

Your 10,300# tow capacity matches you to the 2WD on the GMC site -- fine. Note the disjoint when adding the 10,300# tow capacity & the TV GVWR (6400#); adding the two exceeds the 16000# GCWR, so plan accordingly. I load up my 3/4-ton GMC Sierra D/A with a topper, 2 bicycles, a canoe, a genset and other gear -- I appreciate the large TV payload capacity. You'd better count on close to a 1000# tongue weight with a 28'er -- the WD/antisway gear and loaded propane tanks are aftermarket weights that contribute mostly at tongue weight. AND a spare tire is optional and also added up front. The usual arguments about 1/2- vs. 3/4-ton TV comes when readers are deciding on newer (heavier) 25' Airstreams. IMO a 28' is hands down in need of a full 3/4-ton TV. Everything else about super-imagining a 1/2-tonner is intended to capture the folks thinking about a Ranger. When you're going BIG, I'd think a 3/4 ton is much more in your range.

Okay, my 3/4-ton is a Duramax after all -- inconvenient to operate in the cold and only reaches a decent efficiency at highway speeds. Diesel is something of a PITA, needing warming up first run of the day. But let's just talk gassers as you talk about a focus on general daily use. A 6L should serve you well. The 500# penalty (as you say) of a 3/4-ton won't matter much for longterm economy and will provide more peace of mind of your being in the right towing range.

It is common and I can really streamline checking into campgrounds by filling my water tank before leaving home. Pulling closer to trailer GVWR shouldn't be marginalized by promises to 'be good' and tow at the lighter end of things. I've bought clothes that way...

Don't forget to look at the 27' FB models -- walkaround queen, lots of closet space, nice galley. And I have been in West, TX, on I-35 between Waco and Hillsboro -- hope you can get kolaches as good in East ....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi bill

i agree the toyota is ugly.

how much towing do you plan to do? how many trips per year and how long?

in the wind, in traffic, on a hill (up or down) or when a semi blows by...

having enough truck matters.

many folks here tow happily with 1/2 tons or less,

but trip length, frequency and routes matter.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
In the long term, the 3/4 will be worth more than the difference on resale/trade.

With the 3/4 you just need the standard tow pack.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Given that you want to make the right decision the first time, I think a 3/4 ton is the only way to go for you. You'll like the extra margin of towing capacity.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Bill,

The 28' is a good floorplan for all of the reasons you indicated. It works well for us.

Since you asked for opinions, here goes. I will mostly parrot what the others have said. We have a 28' CCD. The hitch weight is right at 1,000 Lbs as Bob suggested. Our previous T/V was a 2004 Dodge Durango and it did a decent job. However, towing with the 3/4 ton P/U makes towing so much more pleasurable. If you're planning on keeping the A/S for a long time, do your self a favor and go with a 3/4.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Any experienced opinions out there willing to chime in with opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

These are your words Bill but reading your comments it sounds more like you're trying to convince us to say the 1/2 ton will work. Reading the majority you'll see from here you'll see most {having been there done that} suggest a 3/4 is a better fit. That said it's your check book and certainly you can buy what you like. I just don't think your really looking for advice as much as you're looking for folks to agree with the conclusion you hae already come to.-----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
Silvertwinkie,

The MAX towing package is the eqivelent of the 1500HD, at least that's what the sales guy has mentioned. It is a significant upgrade to the 1/2 tons towing capability and is the reason why the towing capacity of this particular 1/2 ton enters the range of the 3/4 ton's basic towing ability. More info is available here: GMC | ALL-New GMC Sierra: Trucks: 1500, 2500HD, 3500 Pickups: ALL-New Sierra Specifications click on the towing capacity link.

I'm in no rush (much to the salesman's chagrin) it may well be June before I do any purchasing.

Bill
Bill,
Just be aware that while the 1500hd, a good truck, is in the 3/4 ton range, the 2500hd still has a beefier frame, bigger brakes (best I remember), heavier rear end differential and has a heavier duty transmission in the form of the Allison in the Duramax. I couldn't afford the Duramax in '01 but I did notice that the 8.1 gas engine came with the same Allison transmission and 11.5" ring gear rear differential as the 3500 while the 6 litre engine did not. That was a no-brainer for me.

I know that some specs have changed over the last few years but take a close look at the different trucks to see what you are really getting. I tow an '86 Sovereign 25' and I am perfectly pleased with the 8.1 gas/Allison combination. The only way I could be any happier would be if the truck had the Duramax.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
[quote=moosetags].
I have to agree with 2air. You should wait unitil June for the release of the new platform GM 2500 pick-ups. You will be much more comfortable towing a 28 with a 3/4 ton TV. A half ton would be straining. You will really appreciate all of the heavy duty features that come on a 3/4 ton.[quote]

The launch of the HD GM pickups has already happened, it was pulled forward by about 2 months. Both the Pontiac MI and the Flint MI plants are running full line rate building the new GMT-900 Chevrolet and GMC HD pickups.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Truck Decisions

2air and others,

I suppose the amount we would be towing a trailer and traveled with it would be minimal at first. We would likely get to do shorter jaunts of 3 or 4 days a few times a year and maybe one long trip of a week or more each year. So initially the amount of towing would be somewhat minimal. Of course over time I think we would travel all over the country at least I hope we'd get to. My wife and I love to see new places so the potential to see varied terrain is there. But for the most part the truck would see daily driver usage and needs to be liveable.

I'm not interested in diesel because I'm not convinced it will pay off on a cost per mile basis over the live of the truck. I've been there before with diesel so a gasser is the preference and as Canoe said it is a bit of a PITA.

I have gone to the GMC web site and configured a Sierra 1500 Ext cab standard box truck with the MAX towing package, and have done the same for a 2500 series Sierra too, price wise they are very close. I just don't want to live daily with the rough treatment a 3/4 provides and the slightly higher daily operating costs if it is not really needed. Mostly it's a matter of comfort here.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far!

Bill
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #20
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I put about 10,000 miles on my 2500 in the past 4 months, I think it feels almost like a car, no rough ride at all.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote