Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
Azflycaster,

In the '07 Tundra that black box you saw under the back seat is a storage tray of sorts. A couple of the Tundras I looked at had it. It is actually just a black colored styrene foam tray that adds about $150 to the MSRP. It reality it was worth about $15.00.

My biggest issue with Toyota is the way that the company "Packs" their vehicles in order to make excessive profit. "Packing" is the slang term used in the auto business when lots of over priced floor mats, striping, road side assistance, fabric protection, and window etching, etc. are done to inflate the price. Most often this is done at the local level by dealers when they have a popular model in demand then they can reap in extra cash. But with Toyota the company itself does the packing at their "Ports" as their salespersons like to call them. In reality these ports are their regional distribution centers.

When I looked at the new Tundra I was disgusted to see $3k -$4k dollars worth of "packing" on all the new Tundras on the lot. The big rip off being the "extra mile package" which was about $1350.00 and added nothing tangible. Now it is possible to get an "unpacked" Toyota but you have to fight a bit with the dealer and be prepared to wait a bit or have them hit the computer and find one. A small percentage of their vehicles actually do get sent to dealers without being "packed".

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Truck dealer game...

at one time i had friends in the auto dealership game... actually acquaintenances... their description of the game at that point was that the base of any vehicle is marked up between 12% and 15% depend on dealership volume and time of year. All of the add ons after that are marked up a minimum of 50% and some a lot more. When we bought out TV we bought a base model ('05 Dodge Ram 2500) for $25,000. The one they wanted to sell us was $40,000. We've bought our coach and all of the accessories for less than the difference between the base and upgraded models. With the 2500, the potential amature driver has the advantage.

one man's opinion

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
If you're waiting for a 3/4 ton Tundra, consider this from the SEMA e-newsletter today:

Nissan is not the only automaker to cease plans to build a heavy-duty pickup. Toyota was expected to launch a heavy-duty pickup in 2009 using a vehicle developed by its Hino Motors Ltd. affiliate, but that project has been halted indefinitely, according to Automotive News.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
fuel tanks...

Whatever you get, you need to be aware that shortbeds have smaller fuel tanks than longbeds and that may be a factor on your travels.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Another Dwight chipping in here. Both Dwights have one ton dually Chevies with crew cabs and long boxes. Both are super stable and wives can drive them with confidence even when faced with Interstate trailer truck traffic trying to blow you off the road. If you have limited experience towing or want your wife to drive the dually really makes it alot easier. The big duallies are not the friendlies to parallel park or shop in small parking lots in town. Gas mileage is not really that much different that the same engine in a smaller velicle. In some states your tollroad charges will be higher. You will also wear out more tires per mile.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Hi Bill:
I just pulled a 28' Safari SE from Airstream of Arkansas with my GMC 2500HD Diesel with the tow package. I talked and researched trucks for about a year and decided on the GMC. It is a 2005 2500HD. It took me another 14 months to find the AS I wanted. Our trip was a little over 1900 miles and my trip computer said I averaged right at 18 miles per gallon from Searcy, AR to Fresno, CA. We hauled the "Little Girl" through just about every kind of road condition you can image (no snow, ice, or tornados). Two lane and steep grades in AR and cities on Hwy. 40. I have an Equal-i-Zer hitch and Prodigy controller. We were only nervious in the cities where they were working on the roads and made them kind of narrow, but she sailed right through without a dent. Only the trucks doing 75 were noticed just a bit. Over all it was a great trip and real learning experience for someone new to towing. My wife drove a good deal of the time and she handled the driving just great. I am new to Airstreams and pretty green at towing, so I wanted to have the right TV to go along with the right AS. I am very pleased with the truck, the trailer, and the tow. We head for Yosemite the last weekend of March!

Just understand that I am new to towing a travel trailer and can only relate this one experience.

Good Luck!!!
"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I agree with most of the other replies, go with a 3/4 ton. I'm using my second diesel now, wouldn't consider a gas engine again. After a poor experience with GM I would be wary of any of their specs. I discovered a Dodge could be purchased for 4 to 5 thousand less than GM products. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Dodge/Cummins product.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Do not make the mistake of buying a truck for everyday driving. Buy a tow vehicle designed for MORE than you plan on towing. As you have heard so many make the mistake of..."omg...it rides too rough" so lets go with the half ton. I have a different philosohy than most here. If you have ever pulled with a one ton dually...you will never pull with anything else. It is not much more money to purchas and the added stability and contoll is ...well...unbelievable.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
Whatever you get, you need to be aware that shortbeds have smaller fuel tanks than longbeds and that may be a factor on your travels.
This can be taken care of by replacing the 26/27 gal. OEM tank with a midships 45 gal. replacement tank from Transfer Flow. Since I am not a fan of the long bed PU with an ext. cab or crew cab, this is what I will do in the future.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
As DFord79 stated, the duallies offer a lot to the pulling factor. We have always pulled with a crewcab dually, it gives me the peace of mind that if I have a blowout on one of the rear tires of the truck that I can safely handle the problem with more than ample control. We don't pull with a 4x4, so the extra tires of the dually offer better traction control in wet or soft conditions. The overall length of the crewcab dually (longer wheelbase) gives a ride that is second to none. Parking the crew cab dually (whether connected to the trailer or not) has never been a problem for us, we have always had a 34' and a Hensley hitch so getting in and out of tight areas is easy.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Another item to consider for those looking for a new truck:

Toyota Tundra misses the mark regarding crash safety rating: Toyota promised to deliver a 5-Star rated new Tundra to satisfy its customers. However, it received only 4-Stars, while its domestic competitors; Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Dodge Ram, and Ford F150 pickups each received 5-Stars in the frontal crash rating test. (Automotive News 3/20/07).
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
45 Gal tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
This can be taken care of by replacing the 26/27 gal. OEM tank with a midships 45 gal. replacement tank from Transfer Flow. Since I am not a fan of the long bed PU with an ext. cab or crew cab, this is what I will do in the future.
I remeber filling my 42 gal tank in the Suburban, it took a long time.

Now I have the GMC 2500 with the 26 gal tank. I am interested in that 45 tank. Where does it fit midship? I looked under the bed, and really didn't see any room, except where the spare tire is, but, that would be stern though.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
tanks...

Usually they just replace the factory tank with a larger one, another good aftermarket tank is by Titan Tanks <http://www.xxtank.com/>.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Wow

Wow you guys (gals too) are great. Thanks so much for sharing what you know and your experiences too. I'm quite certain now that I'll go with a 3/4 truck now that way I know I'm good for the 28W model and also for a 25FB, and if for some reason we go smaller (23D maybe?) I'll be happy knowing that I'll be able to just yank it down the road with ease.

While I am leaning toward the GM, I'll still consider Dodge and Ford too. I've not looked at any Dodge products yet, and have only looked at Ford 1/2 tons. I'll go check out the 3/4 in the Ford and Dodge line now. But will likely end up back at the GMC dealer I really like the new '07 GMC line. I guess I should look for good used too to cover all of my bases.

Thanks so much you are the best!

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
Cosmotine,

Thanks for your input here, since you are dealing with a 28W already I appreciate you chiming in here and telling me how it is. The issue of a 1000 pound tongue and you feeling more comfortable in a larger tow rig is dually noted.

Mike Lewis,

Nope, I've not decided yet, for real. I still think I have a bit to learn since I've never trailered anything. The cost is not too big a concern as the difference between a basiclly equipped SLE1 Sierra 2500 and a upgraded MAX tow equipped SLE1 Sierra 1500 is nil, they basically cost the same thing.

The issue too much information. I have two coworkers who each tow travel trailers one coworker has an Airstream which is a Safari 25' and he tows with a '06 Ford 1/2 ton 5.4 Triton crew cab with tow package and says he has no issues towing his Airstream. The other guy has a '05 2500HD series Chevy crew cab with the 6.0l V8 he tows a 26' SOB. Now he has no trouble towing this trailer either. However, I've ridden in and driven both of these guy's trucks and the 1/2 ton Ford is much more comfortable and gets a few more miles per gallon in daily use. So between what my coworkers are telling me and the information I've been reading on this forum I remain a bit confused still.

Of course I don't yet know how a new '07 2500 series GMC will ride as there are none available just yet in my area. I suspect I need to go check these out in closer detail.

Thanks all for all of the help so far! You are really a great bunch of folks!

Bill
I'd be interested in comparing the real figures between the two trailers you mentioned. The 25' Safari may be much lighter than the 26' SOB and I'd question the 1/2 ton owner as to where he has towed the Safari. My '92 Z71 4X4 with 350 V8 and 5 speed manual trans got my '77 31' Excella up to interstate speed but struggled on steep hills.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
I agree, and we'll see

Craig,

I don't know the weight of my friend's 26'SOB, I know prior to his having a 2500HD Chevy he towed it with a 1/2 ton Chevy but was not completely happy with the towing. He bought the 2500HD in anticipation of getting a new 5th wheel SOB.

The 25' AS and 1/2 ton for combo that my other friend owns has really only been towed around Texas in the Austin/Hill country area. But this summer this guy plans on towing on through the mountain areas of New Mexico and Colorado. I suspect that this will be the trip that really tests his combo.

I may have purchased a truck by then, but if I have not you can be sure I'm going to ask him how it went when he gets back from New Mexico and Colorado.

Bill
Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
2007 GMC Sierra

Wannastream,

I bought a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra in January. I love my truck. I bought the crew cab short bed for use in my business. I do not tow anything as of now but like you I am in the market for an Airstream at some point.

Just wanted you to know that the new GMC trucks are great.

2007 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton.
No AS yet.
RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #78

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The new GM Trucks look great. The 2500/3500's are just now being released. I've been thinking about a 3500 non-dualy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
Moose is right. The trucks look great. I have never had so many compliments about how great my truck looks.

Of course it is red with 20 inch wheels so the younger guys really like it.
RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I love my Chevy Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax! It is very comfortable and roomy for our family of 5. Although, (usually on long trips), I have said they need to come up with a privacy window (like in limos) that could separate the kids from us.. wouldn't that be a dream !
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote