Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Truck bed loading and security

I am wondering if folk could share their product experiences with their tow vehicle (assuming pickup truck) storage, security and loading options.

The bumper compartment on the airstream is good, but the core tools and supplies really ought to be in my truck bed. Does anyone have any good experiences with either under the rails cargo boxes or over the rails cargo boxes which wouldn't interfere with a third party canoe carrier (Thule, etc.)? I am also current carrying my mountain and road bikes in the cargo area (the Thule Insta-gator system rates high with me) so want to try and keep all options available and open when planning out a storage system.

Finally, what methods have you found to load extremely heavy components? My airstream purchase had a new honda eu3000i genset thrown in and now I am figuring how I am going to (solo) load and secure it into the truck for trips. Part of me wonders if there are any of the above cargo boxes outfitted with the appropriate access gate and vents to allow for a semi-permanent genset placement therein.... I suspect this is entering the custom build world but thought I would throw the question out there. Otherwise it's looking like the 3000i May wind up permanently placed at the house for the weekly power outage and a 2000 series picked up for travel use...

Thoughts, ideas, tangents all welcome.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Oh! Also, and this is a tangent, has anyone successfully done a Honda 3000i gas to propane option - after the genset has already had its carburetor flooded with gasoline? If so, I'd like to know your experiences.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
I am wondering if folk could share their product experiences with their tow vehicle (assuming pickup truck) storage, security and loading options.
I currently deal with this by towing with a Suburban.

I have had pickups with fiberglass and aluminum toppers over the years. They do add a nominal degree of security in that someone's going to have to break something to get in, though I got them mostly for weather protection. All the ones I've seen for sale have boat/ladder racks available for them. The disadvantage is that you have to crawl in to get to cargo, though side windows that flip open help somewhat.

Quote:
The bumper compartment on the airstream is good, but the core tools and supplies really ought to be in my truck bed. Does anyone have any good experiences with either under the rails cargo boxes or over the rails cargo boxes which wouldn't interfere with a third party canoe carrier (Thule, etc.)? I am also current carrying my mountain and road bikes in the cargo area (the Thule Insta-gator system rates high with me) so want to try and keep all options available and open when planning out a storage system.
I've had gull-wing type tool boxes. Don't know if they would interfere. They work out OK, lots to choose from out there in terms of materials and quality.

Quote:
Finally, what methods have you found to load extremely heavy components? My airstream purchase had a new honda eu3000i genset thrown in and now I am figuring how I am going to (solo) load and secure it into the truck for trips. Part of me wonders if there are any of the above cargo boxes outfitted with the appropriate access gate and vents to allow for a semi-permanent genset placement therein.... I suspect this is entering the custom build world but thought I would throw the question out there. Otherwise it's looking like the 3000i May wind up permanently placed at the house for the weekly power outage and a 2000 series picked up for travel use...

Thoughts, ideas, tangents all welcome.

Ian
I dislike generators and don't carry one because of the hassle with weight and with fuel handling. If I were in your shoes I'd sell the big one and buy either 1 or 2 2000s depending on whether you want to run air conditioning. Much lighter.

Those who carry really large gennies either use a folding ATV ramp or leave them in the truck bed all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Oh! Also, and this is a tangent, has anyone successfully done a Honda 3000i gas to propane option - after the genset has already had its carburetor flooded with gasoline? If so, I'd like to know your experiences.
Many people on the forums run propane conversions. Most of the conversions allow you to run either fuel.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I've an oddball set up I'd say. I use really heavy duty eyelet bolts in the truck bed spaced out so the Honda 3000 can be secured with a cable or chain. When I take the genset out the eyebolts screw out leaving a hollow threaded fastener in the lower grooves of the bed that don't interfere with using the bed as a truck bed for flat goods etc. I have a Diamondback tonneua cover with a mid section that is bolt clamped down and gull wings fore and aft, all aluminum diamond plate so I can walk on it and it securely holds my bike mounts. When I run the Honda I open the rear wing and it gets plenty of air.

There are plenty of sites that sell boxes with vents etc for generators but I'm wary of them and like to keep it simple.

Here's a pic of the bike tonneau set up.

I have an extremely HD bed slider that also works well but it takes up too much depth to allow the Honda to slide under the cover so I removed it until I get a giant truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	209862  
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a '14 Ram 2500 and just added a Honda EU 3000i Handi to replace the 2 EU 2000's. Once I went to the 4 solar panels I didn't need 2 small gens. (I would use one of the 2000's to recharge batteries and 2 for the A/C). The new generator weighs around 80 lbs and JUST BARELY fits under the Bedlocker cover. (This is the electrically operated aluminum tambour job.) I am not the least bit interested in a propane mod for it, but I am really, really impressed with the 3000i Handi. I have it secured in the truck bed and padlocked/cabled.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I have a couple of these ATV toolboxes in the bed of my Frontier. I like the fact they are shorter than the walls of the bed itself. In my case, the Nissan comes with utilitracks in the floor, so I have these toolboxes bolted down to the bed, and the lids have locks.
I leave them in the bed all the time, because I keep my tools in them for use around the horse stable, but they are sure handy for going camping too. Waterproof and pretty much even dustproof.

Better Built Diamond Tread ATV Toolbox : Cabela's
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered Ramboxes on my truck. Awesome add on, as they are on the outside top of the bed and make easy access to all my hitching tools, leveling blocks, fire extinguisher, compressor, etc. They don't much have trucks on the lot with these as they add $1,500 to the sticker (or thereabouts)... Great for those of us that pull a trailer....and I still have bed for other stuff, and the 37 gal. aux. diesel tank I installed back there...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote