Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Dooooooont do it! you will have little springs and such flying all over, and you will over work the mice on the wheel.

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Dooooooont do it! you will have little springs and such flying all over, and you will over work the mice on the wheel.
Maybe not.... depends on the mouse

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Can some of youse who tow with mid size SUVs and minivans tell us what kind of mpgs you get towing vs. not.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylevg View Post
I'm sure the manufacturer has designed and tested with their own safety factors added in. That will allow the TV to support the weight they have recommended.

I don't think that any TV manufacturer is going to make a recommendation that would be knowingly unsafe.
That's right. After all, the manufacturer is warranting their vehicle's powertrain to tow that limit - it costs them money if they get it wrong.

Engineers use a "margin of safety' when designing structures or products. If a bridge has a 4 ton rating, it won't collapse when you drive a 8001 pound vehicle over it.

Tow ratings are typically created based on powertrain cooling requirements, usually testing when maintaining a highway speed (typically 55) up a steep grade at a high ambient temp. Needless to say, you don't to that all that often, but that threshold dictates drivetrain durability in a worst case situation.

I've been able to talk with several factory engineers about tow ratings and typical towing advice. They're typically bemused by the idea of an 80% rule and one was curious that they sell so many of their 3/4 ton trucks to folks who would easily be within their 1/2-ton truck's tow limit. Another told me that their three-row V6 unibody SUV was "rock solid" when towing a trailer weighing well in excess of its rating, but the powertrain cooling limits at the extremes dictated the conservative rating.

That said, you have to consider that the limit isn't just based on what the empty and dry trailer weighs. You need to take into account how many passengers are in the vehicle, tongue weight limitations, and how much stuff you have in both the trailer and the vehicle. Those questions make towing a 4500 lb (empty) trailer with a vehicle with a 5000 lb limit more, well, questionable.

Tom
Old 06-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylevg View Post
Hi, this is my first post. (Be gentle)
It's more of a ?, than anything else.
Why the "80% rule"? If the TV manufacturer, i.e. Toyota, Ford, GM or whomever says it's OK to tow 5000 lbs, do they really expect you to not to tow more than 4000 lbs?
I'm sure the manufacturer has designed and tested with their own safety factors added in. That will allow the TV to support the weight they have recommended.
I believe that while it maybe a little easier to tow an "80% rule" situation than a 100% (50% would be even easer). But does that mean that a 100% unsafe?
I don't think that any TV manufacturer is going to make a recommendation that would be knowingly unsafe.
Yes - a good post. Manufacturers don't necessarily provide an unsafe recommendation, but vehicle operators frequently are not very intelligent or caring (although I personally believe Airstream owners are likely among the MOST responsible towers out there).

If you have a vehicle rated for 5000 lbs. and a trailer at 4800 lbs. all should technically be OK, except when you add the propane in the tanks, gas can for the boat, 10 gallons of water, generator, kids bikes, food, etc. and the weight of the trailer goes over 5000 lbs.. To add to that, the gross vehicle weight might be maxed out with 4 passengers, gear, fuel and other supplies even before the overloaded trailer is hitched up.

No buffer or margin for error = major probability of a nasty pile up.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
That said, you have to consider that the limit isn't just based on what the empty and dry trailer weighs. You need to take into account how many passengers are in the vehicle, tongue weight limitations, and how much stuff you have in both the trailer and the vehicle. Those questions make towing a 4500 lb (empty) trailer with a vehicle with a 5000 lb limit more, well, questionable.Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
If you have a vehicle rated for 5000 lbs. and a trailer at 4800 lbs. all should technically be OK, except when you add the propane in the tanks, gas can for the boat, 10 gallons of water, generator, kids bikes, food, etc. and the weight of the trailer goes over 5000 lbs.. To add to that, the gross vehicle weight might be maxed out with 4 passengers, gear, fuel and other supplies even before the overloaded trailer is hitched up.
Both good points. However, the GVWR for the trailer in this case is 4,500 pounds. If I remember correctly, there is 1,100 pounds of NCC available for the 22' SS before reaching that GVWR. Two 30 pound propane tanks weigh probably around 100 lbs total. 10 gallons of water would weigh 80 pounds. A generator, 100 pounds. Bikes, 50 pounds (2 bikes). 2 cases of beer, 33 pounds. Add in 100 pounds of cow-products, and you still have 640 pounds available for anything else I've forgotten (and if the air conditioner isn't included in the base weight, there's 120 pounds for that included in that 640 pounds).

The Highlander has 1,800 pounds of payload capacity on its own. Even with a hefty driver, and 3 hefty passengers ready to eat those 100 pounds of cow-products, that still leaves around 800 pounds for gas, twinkies, a really good pair of hiking boots each, and the tongue weight.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I cant believe anyone would consider towing with a highlander. WOW!
Its like buying a $1000 mountain bike, and saying I cant afford a helmet.
Its like going to bike week with out a Harley
Its like going fishing with out a rod
ect ect ect
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I cant believe anyone would consider towing with a highlander. WOW!
Its like buying a $1000 mountain bike, and saying I cant afford a helmet.
Its like going to bike week with out a Harley
Its like going fishing with out a rod
ect ect ect
Or, buying a full size truck to tow a 4500 lb trailer, when other alternatives (that are more comfortable, safer, and more economical daily drivers) are available is like:

Buying a mountain bike with 6 inches of suspension travel to ride the paved bike path.
Using a sledgehammer to hang a picture on the wall.
Getting a Viking stove to boil ramen noodles.

Making it sound like using a Highlander in this instance is unsafe or is a cheap way out (considering a new Highlander costs as much as a full-size truck, if not more) doesn't seem to be a valid argument.

Tom
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Or, buying a full size truck to tow a 4500 lb trailer, when other alternatives (that are more comfortable, safer, and more economical daily drivers) are available is like:

Buying a mountain bike with 6 inches of suspension travel to ride the paved bike path.
Using a sledgehammer to hang a picture on the wall.
Getting a Viking stove to boil ramen noodles.

Making it sound like using a Highlander in this instance is unsafe or is a cheap way out (considering a new Highlander costs as much as a full-size truck, if not more) doesn't seem to be a valid argument.

Tom
Great post! How true!