Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Pam,

Phone or e-mail Andy at Can Am RV, he will have customers that tow with Highlanders and will be able to tell you the pros and cons of using that tow vehicle with an Airstream. I know you live a long way from Ontario but he'll be happy to advise you on local shops that can set you up.

For the record, we tow a 2011 28' International with a Toyota Sienna minivan. Can Am RV set us up with a modified hitch, oil cooler, brake controller and weight distribution/sway control system and the combination works. I'm sure Andy will be able to tell you if your tow vehicle will work with your planned Airstream purchase.
Mr. Toad: I put an email in to Andy last week but haven't heard anything back yet. I told him that you highly recommended him and that I very much appreciated anything he could offer, so maybe he's just really busy right now. If I don't hear back shortly, I may try to call instead. You have been most helpful...THANK YOU!!!! Pam
Pam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Thanks... we're talking in the context of V6 Highlanders here... not freight trains.

Question: Can a Highlander V6 pull a 19 footer?
Answer: Yes.
Context understood^. My point was about what I felt was an inaccurate generalization about 5/6 speed transmissions top gears and towing RVs. Freight trains' diesel generation of electricity for electric motors notwithstanding ... TORQUE makes the difference in internal combustion diesel vs gas engines and gearing for towing. PERIOD

I was attracted to this thread because we have a similar sized V-6 SUV. Agreed, a Highlander V6 can pull a 19 footer ... 'just dislike seeing the earlier inaccurate generalization on transmissions towing RVs. My apologies for anyone who was offended by my attempt at clarification. Heck, we can pull our 20' with our 2-door Jeep Wrangler V-6 as well - and, often do. The gas V-6 delivers great mileage, but O/D is locked out on mountain passes resulting in higher fuel consumption as well as a climbing transmission temperature; the engine needs to be kept in the torque band...regardless of horsepower. We had the same situation with the previous gas Mopar straight six, a bullet-proof transmission, a much lighter hard sided pop-up AND a transmission auxilliary cooler with an accurate temperature guage. Is that comparable info for those of you that expressed negativity on my clarification regarding top 5/6 gears as being inappropriate. A concern for us is the hitch receiver - although reinforced - being up to the job on the Wrangler frame ... TV mass vs AS mass ... very close; so, we generally reduce our travel speed accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
I would suggest there aren't many 5 or 6 speed transmissions that belong in top gear (overdrive if that is how it is labelled) when towing any kind of RV... You'll find the engines tend to lug and may even get worse mileage than dropping a gear.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Pam

I have been at Alumapoluza this weekend, I replied to your email today however it bounced back.

We have several customers with the same Highlander that you own as well as a large number with the Lexus version and Sienna's which use the same drive train. Most are towing 25-30' Airstreams and some quite extensively with trips to Alaska etc. That I know of all are quite pleased with them and we have had several move from older to newer ones.

The 19 or 22 are both easy for the Highlander. There will be no issues with handling stability etc. On some long grades you will shift down and climb in lower gears at about 3800 RPM but it will run on the level at 60 MPH in the 2300 RPM range. A large V8 or diesel will climb the hills 10 MPH faster but they will never save you enough time on hills to make up for the extra time you would spend in gas stations.

With either the 19 or 22 you absolutely must use a weight distribution hitch that is adjusted properly. I would suggest an Eaz-Lift brand with 600 lb. bars and a Husky friction sway control. There are no issues with the body structure, today unit body vehicles are actually much stronger than body on frame vehicles.

The Hitch that comes on the 08 Highlanders is not terrible but also not overly solid. Do you have the Factory trailer hitch or do you need to add one?

The picture below is a 1999 Lexus RX300 it was the first Toyota crossover we set up. This one had a 3.0 Ltre with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 3.5 and 6 speed that you have. It towed the 25 Safari to Alaska, Panama, New Foundland and several trips to California.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexus Alaska.jpg
Views:	2631
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	160033  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
TV mass vs AS mass ... very close; so, we generally reduce our travel speed accordingly.
I think you've hit it on the head right there... there is lots that can be done safely and enjoyably if the goal isn't climbing an 18% grade at 70mph...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Andrew: THANK YOU!!!! Your input is invaluable and I really appreciate it! Sorry about the email bouncing; I just realized I hadn't updated it, but it's good to go now.

No, we don't have the Toyota receiver on our Highlander yet. Been calling around to get quotes on that. Do you have any recommendations about that part of it?

Again, thanks for your detailed (and helpful) response.
Pam
Pam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #46

1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
baker , Nevada
I have a 2006 Hybrid Highlander and it tows my 1962 19' globetrotter great. I have anti sway bars and the dealer hitch. no problems.
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Roseburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Hi! We tow our 19 foot globetrotter with a 2003 highlander. Tows great!
Thanks for sharing! I plan to tow my '62 GT with a 2002 Highlander V6 and good to know.