Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
VW touareg 6 spd vs 8 spd trans

I currently have a 2010 Touareg TDI with 6 spd auto, and does very well towing up hills in overdrive without kicking down. Was wondering if anyone has a 2011 ( 8 spd) or later that has towed with it ? My feeling is because
of the added gears, it will be more sensitive to shifting down on hills. Any input would be appreciated..thanks
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Davis , California
8 speeds are better than 6.....or 5 or 4.......

I am a new member and this is my 1st posting!

We down sized from a large diesel pusher to an 2012 23FB this year and matched it up with the 2012 Touareg TDi. What a great combination!

Concerning your question on the 8 speed transmission, I have been impressed with how effective it is in keeping the diesel within its sweet spot. As an example, near my home there is a 2.7 mile long 7.2% grade. Over the years, with motorhomes or trailers, I've expected to be around 35 mph or so. On my frist trip with the new setup, I left the cruz set at 60. It held 60 mph the whole way! Remarkable. Even freeway on-ramp merging is easier as I can be at speed with traffic when it is time to slip in (if I am willing to put my foot into it).

The TDi matched with the 8 speeds means I do not hold up traffic on just about any road including mountain passes. And, I can still get mpg in the high teens. As I said, it is remarkable.
R.GreggR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
23FB with a Toureg TDI - take it from me (and I would know) - that sounds like a "match" made in heaven...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
23FB with a Toureg TDI - take it from me (and I would know) - that sounds like a "match" made in heaven...
Hi John,

We test drove the Toureg TD last weekend and WOW! My husband and I were impressed! The numbers do show that it is a match made in heaven with a 23FB but we were hoping to stretch it to a 27FB (7600 GVWR & 770 Tongue weight). Since you said "And I would know," I thought I would ask:

Is a 27FB stretching the Toureg TD TOO FAR?
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Davis , California
John will respond, but here are my thoughts

If you prefer more trailer I recommend you select something with more capacity so you maintain a safety factor. I considered a 25 footer (because I could) but I landed on the 23FB because it would leave me with a little extra room for safety. I also wanted to feel relaxed when I drove and Touareg/23FB combo is very comfortable.

By the way, the Touareg is very easy to drive around town, gets great millage and still enough room for the grandkids! Also, our Airstream fits in any campground. Our big motorhome didn't allowed us camp where our kids like to go.

Agian, even though we have "down sizes", I could not be happier!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Thanks for your thoughts R. GreggR :-) I just looked on the Airstream website and didn't realize that the 23FB has a queen bed in it! We'll have to check out that floor plan in person because you're right - it definitely provides more options in terms of campgrounds. Just curious, how are you liking the floor plan considering you downsized from a large diesel pusher?
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Davis , California
Where is the basement storage? Downsizing is a serious business

I believe we have made a great decision going with the 23FB but there are pros and cons with each plan.

Like many RVers, we pulled stuff out of the motorhome’s basement storage that had not been touched in years yet it managed to go everywhere with us. So, downsizing has been a health excerize. With this new perspective (small is beautiful) we have found there remains a lot of extra storage we have not used yet in our little 23FB.

Although the 23FB and 25FB share many similar features (e.g. queen size bed), I’ll share my observations concerning our decision process.
1. The main difference between them is two feet in length and 6” in width (and weight). Although it may not seem like much, the 25 is noticeable larger. Inside it feels wider and longer, making it a little more “livable”. However, getting back down to the 23’s 8’ width has been a pure joy to drive. I wanted to make driving more comfortable and shorter/narrower/lighter helps with that objective.
2. The 25 has a much better seating area where as the 23 only offers the dinette and bed. Also, the 25’s rear windows often provide better views. If you spend a lot of time inside it would be wise to consider this.
3. We like the double sink on the 23; it is interesting how small things help.
4. One of our key objectives was the rear bath. The mid-trailer baths did not offer the total privacy my wife wanted and they have a little less room to change in.

Since we place a priority on a queen bed, end bath and small, the 23FB won out. However, I don’t think you could go wrong with either length; there great trailers.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
1991 Excella 29' Polished

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.GreggR View Post
We down sized from a large diesel pusher to an 2012 23FB this year and matched it up with the 2012 Touareg TDi. What a great combination!
And, I can still get mpg in the high teens. As I said, it is remarkable.
R.GreggR, nice to hear that combination 2012 Touareg V6 TDi + Airtstream 23FB forks great got you !
We currently have two Touaregs (2008 V10 TDi and 2012 V8 TDi) and still have not decided yet whether to go for 23FB or 27FB. Due heavier tongue weight and similar width we have excluded 25FB from the shopping list in favour of 27FB.

Please advise if you do use any sort of WD hitch and/or sway control with 23FB.
Timofeevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We test drove a new Touareg TDI yesterday, wonderful performance with stability, towing power and economy as well. The 8-spd trans was geared so close you hardly noticed shifting, ideal I think for towing in hill country.

My only complaints are all the electronic gadgetry (long term reliability?) to boost its price, and a statement in the owner's manual to never use a weight distribution hitch (even though rated to tow 7700# ??????).

Otherwise we would have drove it home. Still want it though, can't imagine anything better for our combined needs of towing and economical daily driving. We could replace a car and a truck.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Davis , California
Touareg and WD hitches

There is a lot to read on this Forum concerning VW's position on WD hitches. I'll share my conclusion but you'll need to develop your own final decision.

As best as I can tell WDHs are widely used on Touaregs with no problems. My experience is it creates a very stable and safe ride. The idea of pulling a trailer of any significant weight without a WDH does not make sense.

I hope your investigation gives you confidence to decide.