Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Absolutely.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Especially when you have ST trailer tires rated for no higher than 65 mph...

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can only tell you this. I ran my 30'er (same as a 31'er for weight purposes) while it was hitched to an Avalanche. All my toys were at home...empty TV..but trailer loaded for camping. Scaled at 15700#, so I think you'll be over. Then if you have stuff in the bed....????

Not saying you can't, but don't expect it to be effortless...and don't be surprised if stuff on the truck starts wearing out faster or breaking....over time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Apparently an Avalanche weighs more than a Tundra.
I may be overloaded.
Still not ready to trade.
It is moot, anyway.
I have no money nor credit- can't borrow...
So I tie with what I have- a half ton pickup.
No payload numbers will change the circumstances/situation.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tow... Not tie...

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I suspect so, Avalanche was a pretty substantial vehicle. Over 5000#s. My scale ticket had 3 passengers and probably a full tank (60 gallons) water. Bikes were on the tongue too. Stuff adds up quick, thus my reference to OP about stuff in the bed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Some states post a minimum speed for their controlled access highways. What we have seen is 45mph, but I suspect that there may be some that differ a bit. It does not take long to get around someone doing 45. It takes even less time if they pull off at an acceptable turnout. There are few turnouts on interstates, but there are at least two lanes to let folks get past.

The valid point to consider is that not every rig should travel on every road or at all times. Rush hour traffic through ongoing construction was horrible in Salt Lake. Traveling 55 was a problem, because the trucks were traveling 70 or better and the lanes were very restricted. However, doing I70 through the Rockies was a breeze. When a truck needed to go slow they moved over. When they wanted to go faster, they waited for a break in traffic and then moved into a faster lane.

When you have a vehicle that has limited performance you need to pick your route with your safety and the safety of others in mind. We followed a 1 ton camper into Yellowstone from the West entrance. It slowed considerably going up hills. This was a bit frustrating, but in Yellowstone, you really need to slow down and see the scenery. However, on a two lane road that folks often travel to get to the next job or do personal business, a slow moving vehicle can be a hazard. Making 45mph is not that bad. But if climbing hills pulls you down to 15-25 mph, consider where, when, and how you go. That's not to say don't go. Just be considerate of others. Weekends in a tourist area might be wise to give a miss and rush hour in commute areas should be avoided. But with your RV experience this is likely preaching to the choir.

So, I think you should tow it. Given sufficient budget to purchase your dream and all the appropriate upgrades to keep it your dream; given a well maintained TV; and given a conservative approach to towing, you can make it work.

Travel safe and enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
. . . Not saying you can't, but don't expect it to be effortless...and don't be surprised if stuff on the truck starts wearing out faster or breaking....over time.
Which leads to the either side of that coin with a heavier truck, "don't be surprised if stuff on the Airstream starts wearing out faster or breaking....over time".

So says some of our long-time Airstream repair shop owners on the forum, Inland Andy and Andrew T. These fellows tend to recommend tow vehicles no larger than needed for the job. My Airstream Owners Manual also refers to this, so that is another factor to consider.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
45 is generally an Interstate minimum speed limit.
My Tundra and 30' will pull any hill east of the Mississippi at 65 mph.
I haven't towed with this combination, but the old 16' trailer and Chevy 5.3 would pull any hill west of the Mississippi at 55 mph.
I think my Tundra and 30' could even maintain 55-60 on the Ike gauntlet.
Don't know that for a fact.
Just a feeling I get.
Sure, parts may be wearing faster.
Parts also wear faster on 3/4 tons and 1 tons when connected to a trailer their entire life.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Which leads to the either side of that coin with a heavier truck, "don't be surprised if stuff on the Airstream starts wearing out faster or breaking....over time".

So says some of our long-time Airstream repair shop owners on the forum, Inland Andy and Andrew T. These fellows tend to recommend tow vehicles no larger than needed for the job. My Airstream Owners Manual also refers to this, so that is another factor to consider.
That is very true, but as a manufacturer's rep, that line is the published specs for that particular vehicle. I have seen those whom you reference advocate that it is OK to exceed those specs. Contrary to many OPINIONS here and elsewhere, they are NOT guestimates nor marketing numbers. As a fleet service rep, I have seen the consequences for exceeding specs many, many times in my career.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

That seems to be more of a concern for older HD trucks. New HD trucks have a nice ride.

Haven't seen any damage report by forum members towing with a newer HD truck.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That is very true, but as a manufacturer's rep, that line is the published specs for that particular vehicle. I have seen those whom you reference advocate that it is OK to exceed those specs. Contrary to many OPINIONS here and elsewhere, they are NOT guestimates nor marketing numbers. As a fleet service rep, I have seen the consequences for exceeding specs many, many times in my career.
We are fortunate to have Airstreamers of all experiences on board, and you're remarks are always appreciated. It would be good to discuss this idea of the right tow vehicle specifics for the particular Airstream, purpose, and load but I see already someone will derail it.

I hope the O.P. has gained enough info to proceed with his Airstreaming plans. It's a good life.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug,
I'll give you my take when finally putting down my own hard earned money. As you know, if you've run across many of my posts, I am fortunate over the past few years to be able to get my company vehicles configured close to my needs to tow in varied conditions with my own unique loads and trailer. I've towed with:

2500s both gas and diesel
1500s 5.3 and 6.2, 6 speeds and 8 speeds
Escalades, Yukon XLs, Avalanche, Express 1500 (my old personal vehicle)

Never tried a 3500, as it is overkill for me and just didn't want one.

I've done the math every way, but sideways. Balanced my forcasted present and future travel conditions for percent of time, etc. Listened to my wife as to which ones were comfortable and easy for her (even now) to get in and out of, park etc.

I love a 2500 diesel, but don't NEED it for more than a projected 5% Rocky Mountain travel days.

2500 Gas was fine, but something about 2500s made my wife's sciatica act up and would get progressively worse. (I believe it was entry and exit causing this).

I wound up with a 2015 1500 MaxTow, 6.2L, 8 speed. Won't bore you with all the details why, but important to this thread is the fact that I am just below all the axle and GVW ratings with ALL my toys and equipment on board (on paper anyway, haven't scaled it yet....haven't even hitched to the new TV yet....darned winter, anyway) and I'm well below GCWR and max trailer weight.

In a nutshell, not too much and more importantly, not too little TV. The right tool for the job, by the numbers and my duty cycle.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rich, sounds like a perfect setup for you. Even customized to her sciatica.

We are on our second Airstream and second half-ton truck. We are snow birds, traveling widely on the way to winter destinations. The two of us need little payload capacity traveling around the country and a comfortable, maneuverable and economical daily driver when we are exploring, or going to the movies.

We also need a two vehicle that is absolutely solid on the highway, capable of mountains throughout the country. The Ram 1500 5.7 Reg Cab 3.55 rear end was the least expensive tow vehicle that suited our needs. After two w.d. hitch brands we competed solved any unsteadiness on the highway with a ProPride hitch.

Our experience has been it does the job very well. The occasional drawbacks are it's a three passenger truck, and 3.92 rear end would pull the hills better. Our next tow vehicle would suit us best if it was a SUV, but you can't beat the economics of purchasing and maintaining a simply-equipped pickup truck and gas engine.

With that experience, I recommend the o.p. give his Titan a go, learn what it can/can't do, how it might be improved, and proceed from there.