Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Tailgate Seal

We just bought a new F240 diesel and Flying Cloud 30 as we gear up to go full-time next year. We also installed a cap on the truck so we can store more stuff out of the weather. I've never had a pickup before and my brother in law was telling me I should install a seal around the tailgate otherwise dust and rain will draft into the bed of the pickup as we drive down the road. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if you have installed a seal, which brand do you recommend? Thanks.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Did not have this issue with either my 1987 Toyota 4x4 with aluminum topper, 2011 F-350 with ARE Z-Series Topper or my current 2013 Ram 2500 with another ARE Z-Series topper...

I think you will be fine...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

Longtime truck owner here. I had a cap on truck, 1987 F150. Only slight moisture problem.

I also had sliding glass on truck and cap so I could get some AC into bed of truck. We built a suspended deck in truck bed, stowed gear beneath and air mattress on top. Travelled all over like that. Only water in bed once where things got damp. So I built another suspended floor on bottom and could slide it in/out for access.

If you seal, I would just put tape on inside seam of tailgate to see if that helps.

Any "dust" I saw was around lower seam and only if I had windows open allowing air movement inside.

First, take on really dusty road. Then garden hose the area by rear if cap. If cap is properly fitted, there should be little penetration.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Cabelas sells a tailgate seal.....unless you want dust in your bed you'd best install one.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The seal is worth the small time and trouble. A cap increases the air pressure exerted on the rear of the truck, so to speak, and dust in the bed increases. May not matter where you live, but where I do the seal was a real help.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Older trucks may have had this issue but I don't think you need to worry about it with any late models. I have an '06 Dodge 3500 and I never see any significant amount of dust in the enclosed bed area. If you see a need then maybe you can think about it later.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It isn't the year model so much as the local climate. Your truck is identical to mine so far as body gaps are concerned. And, as cleaning an 8' bed top to bottom and front to rear under a topper is no small job I highly recommend this cheap modification . . unless one enjoys this type of cleaning after a trip out West. Or after a drought. Etc.

Dust, heat and humidity (think condensation) make getting something from the bed a dirty job. Highway speed travel just worsens the problem: both the volume of dust, and the turbulence -- however low -- in the bed.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Pep Boys, and most any place that sells toppers, bedliners, etc. will have the seals. About $30. They are peel and stick and once in place really stay put. I have a seal on mine.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote