Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Sport 16, Tow Vehicle Question (another!!)...

good evening all,
I have read what seems like dozens of threads about tow vehicles and my head is swimming!

The Sport 16 is on order and I should receive it by the beginning of April which gives me some time to figure out the TV.

I wish it was just facts like suspension, torque, tow rating, etc. that mattered but there is so much more to it than that. The one thing I know is that I actively prefer a pickup truck. The other things I am considering are my kid's opinions, the maneuverability of it, the features / options included, budget, aesthetics (interior and exterior), and value.

I have test driven the Ram 1500, Tundra, Canyon, Colorado. I looked at but have not test driven Ridgeline and Tacoma.

In terms of each of the considerations...

--- Kid's Opinion - one of the first ones we test drove was a used Ram 1500 Laramie Limited - it was super plush inside and the kids LOVED it. They are pressing me to buy it. They think I would be the coolest mom in town driving around in this swag mobile.

--- Maneuverability - a smaller pickup truck would be better for getting in and out of parking spots. I don't really need the bigger truck for the Sport 16. There is a chance I could upgrade to a larger trailer down the road and thus having the larger truck would then make life easier. My driveway is not huge. I can fit a full size but it would cramp things a bit. I will keep my current car (small, easy to get around) so that could be what I take in and out of the city or places where parking will be tough. It is really tough evaluating how much of a pain a large truck really is. I don't have the experience other than a couple of test drives.

--- Features / Options - I'd like back up camera, tow package... seems if there is not a brake controller on it, I can add that. Same for tow mirrors, but the question is... If the vehicle comes equipped with the tow mirrors and brake controller does that also mean it has a transmission better equipped for towing? If I opt to buy one without the factory BC and TM, will it put undue wear on the transmission or is that a non-issue because the trailer is only 3500 (maybe that gets into tow capacity?).

--- Budget - I had wanted to be under $30k. I am finding that tough if it includes a trim level that includes leather seats. I think with the kids it will hold up better and I do like the nicer interior. I am having to go up in budget. Currently I am looking at the following:

-- 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited, 21k miles, feels brand new, very gently used, $36,500 (this is the one the kids love). No brake controller but has tonneau cover.
-- 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited, 29k miles, some dings, scratches, dirt, etc, but has the brake controller and has Ram Box storage which I could see being useful. Also has tonneau cover. $31,500. (4k savings is nice, 2 years older... if the bigger truck works out and I keep it forever the older model is no biggie. If it is too big and I want to trade in, newer will help with value).
-- 2015 GMC Canyon, 30k miles, tow package. Drive didn't excite me, neither did interior. $29,000 (price would make it a practical choice, wish i was more excited about it).
-- 2018 Ridgeline or Canyon - $38,000. I liked the interior of the Ridgeline better, exterior of Canyon better. Still LOVE the larger truck most but trying to get my mind wrapped around driving something so big.

--- Budget - used Canyon is lowest price. 2014 Ram Limited has all the options and not a bad price. 2016 Ram Limited was my fav as well as the kids but is it crazy to spend $36.5k on a used truck (granted miles are low). I tend to buy used so the new ones don't appeal to me as much.

--- Aesthetics - outside: I like the Ram best, then the Canyon, then the Ridgeline inside: Ram 1st, then Ridgeline, then Canyon. I do hope to do a cross country road trip. I like the creature comforts and am an aesthetic person so I have to pay attention to this. If I am driving thousands of miles, I think the plusher vehicle will be better. Sorry if that sounds bad.

--- Value: I think the Honda probably holds its value best. Then GMC. The Ram last but maybe I am getting it at low enough price for the fact they are the fully loaded top of the line models that I'm looking at so that mitigates trade in value? Honda and GMC are mid-range trim but have the leather.

I'm sorry this is so long - if anyone is still interested, what would you do? in my heart, I want the Ram the kids like. It was my favorite too. But $6500 more than I originally said I wanted to spend and also could be a mistake if I find it too big.

Is it stupid to get the loaded 2016 Ram without the tow mirrors and brake controller for $4k more, vs. the 2104 Ram with those but with some dings and more miles?

I read a bunch on the internet today about people who got rid of their big trucks for the midsize because the big were a PITA. I feel paralyzed by indecision.

I know you can't make my decision for me, but opinions?? Thank you
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
We thoroughly enjoy our 2017 Ridgeline. Fabulous daily driver, easy peasy in parking lots. Really like how quiet it is inside. The hidden trunk under the box is just the bomb. Our generator, 5gal gas and a whack of tools go in there.
We tow a 27FB Eddie Bauer without any drama at all. Tows like a champ. Our hitch work was done at Can-Am in London. 8000+ miles from Ontario to Arizona this winter, average of 12.5mpg towing, 25+mpg unhooked.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Longmont , Colorado
Sport 16, Tow Vehicle Question (another!!)...

You may want to also check out the Tacoma and Ridgeline if you’re not sure about the big trucks. They are all capable of towing your Bambi, but the amount of payload you can carry and space in the vehicle are going to be the big differences.
No matter your choice, a vehicle with a tow package is important so you have the upgraded transmission cooling. Also, most trucks with a tow package will have either an integrated brake controller or a plug in the harness to add one after market, so if one isn’t integrated, it shouldn’t be a deal breaker.
cstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Thank you both...
Hoping to be able to test drive the RL. My brother had one and loved it. It seems to get lots of love here on the forum which I guess surprised me a bit since tow rating is 5k....

Still love the Ram 1500 without the tow package. Perhaps the transmission in a v8 engine combined with a 3500 lb TT will be fine? Many of the used options I'm looking at have the tow hitch but not the tow package.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tundra!
Will give you room for that 25 or 27 you'll be trading for in 2-3 years...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska

I am a huge fan of my current combo Tacoma V6 (2017) 4 door short bed and 2013 16' Bambi. Equalizer hitch (with noise reducing pads and lube).
Truly solid combo in all conditions road and weather.
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love Tacomas, too, but...
The price and fuel economy are too close to a Tundra...
If your paying Tundra money and getting Tundra fuel economy, you might as well have that huge back seat and trick roll down rear window...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
As a solo female traveler the Tacoma is the best ergonomic fit for me, satisfied with mileage got a good trade in and limited some bells and whistles ! Driving comfort is important for me IMHO find something that fits you well
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

2017 16' Sport
Coeur d'Alene , Idaho
We've had our Bambi Sport for a year and tow with our family SUV, 2013 Acura MDX. Tows it handily and offers the family good comfort, safety, and extra packing space. Recommend!
jaf1062017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We are in the Tacoma school as well. We’ve had a 2007 Tacoma and now a 2016 crewcab with tonneau cover to tow our 19’ Bambi. We bought both new. We really like the Tacomas and you can get a newish one with all the bells and whistles including tow package and leather seats for about your budget. We don’t have leather but that’s not important to us. It’s our only vehicle so it’s good that it’s a V6. It does everything we need it to do … good drive, hauls people and hauls stuff. And you will have no trouble selling it if you decide to upgrade later. You can’t beat the reliability of Tacomas. They are really workhorses for their size.
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
thank you all so much!
still very much grappling with the big truck vs. mid size truck issue.
i liked the comfort of the big truck. i felt like i was driving around in my living room! I was imagining for the cross country road trip I am dreaming of that it would be nice.

for daily life the smaller truck is better.

this is not easy as there is not one right answer!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
thank you all so much!
still very much grappling with the big truck vs. mid size truck issue.
i liked the comfort of the big truck. i felt like i was driving around in my living room! I was imagining for the cross country road trip I am dreaming of that it would be nice.

for daily life the smaller truck is better.

this is not easy as there is not one right answer!

We found a huge comfort difference between the Canyon and the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is car-like and super comfortable. The canyon felt, to us, like a stiff, spartan, old school truck - fine if you like that, but not comfortable for us.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had a couple of the smaller sized trucks. I strongly recommend going with the full sized pickup. They ride better, handle better, and tow better. You can find a spot to park.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I would recommend an SUV or even a sedan. They are more stable, more comfortable and easier to drive and park when not towing than any pickup truck. IMHO the only reason for towing an Airstream with a truck is because you need space for heavy thinks like generators or bicycles. I suggest you read the "Hitch Hints" by Andy Thompson of Can-Am RV - particularly "What Can You Tow with Your Family Car."
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
I decided... Ram 1500

Following up...
Seems the last day of the month is a good day to buy a vehicle. The deal got better and so I bought the truck.

I thank you all for your advice...

I bought a full size truck, a 4x4 Ram 1500 Limited with hemi, 2016 used with 21,000 miles. It looks brand new. It's the one the kids liked best and the one I liked driving best (maybe it's the air suspension??). For being an enormous truck it drives so smoothly and felt least truckish.

I've still got my small car for when a big truck is too big for driving around. I like the idea of the big truck for when I go on the cross country road trip. Yes, the gas mileage is a compromise.

They can down $6150 from the original sales price. What I paid was equal to the lowest trade in price on NADA which seemed like a bit of insurance in case this all ends up being not the fun adventure I expected.

Going to try and post some pictures. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	305171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	305172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	305173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	305174  

Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Longmont , Colorado
Congrats!!! Looks great and you’ll have power and room to spare for new adventures in the Bambi [emoji4]
cstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Way to go! My guess is that in short order you will wonder why you waited so long to get a pickup. You will notice a difference in how other drivers treat you vs driving your small car.

You now have the best of both worlds - a super luxurious cab and a huge trunk that you can through anything in without concern that it may get dirty or scratched. Try that in an SUV.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Congratulations,that looks great. Now on to the WD debate.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
For being an enormous truck it drives so smoothly and felt least truckish.
I've been test-driving potential tow-ers, and that's what I found, too.

The Dodge (I don't care for the "Ram" moniker) looks brutish, but drives well, and the interior is comfortable.

Nice truck! Will look great in front of your silver baby.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Thank you all for the support!
Yes, now onto the WD decision... spent hours this morning reading and learning - seems I haven't scratched the surface though. I'd be thrilled to have someone just whisper the answer to me!