Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Redondo Beach , California
Settling on a Diesel TV For California New Regulations ??

Hi Everyone

I have a 25' AS Safari with 7200# when fully loaded. I am under powered/ with a 1500 Ram Van right now. I am trying to settle on a new TV. Here in California there are new regulations that will affect Diesel engined vehicles.

See this URL

New diesel rules - SB Now

Anyone familiar with how these new laws will affect choices we make today??

FWIW, I was thinking of trying to find a Ford 7.3L F350 diesel truck..

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated..

Thank

John Mc
mccartjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I think its going to be like the gasoline powered vehicles. After 5 years old and then every other year take it in for the obligutory (revenue generating) smog test.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
ANY diesel that you may purchase in California is FINE....

The new Ford Diesel's will work - but don't know about the 7.3L - but if it was sold in California you would be fine.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Go diesel. You will never go back to gas, trust me. So many reasons: Power, lots of power and grunt. Better fuel mileage than gas, by quite bit. Longer engine life. Can run biodiesel someday when America gets it together to get it at the pumps.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Stick with the Dodge, the newer Fords have been issues for many owners. Especially if you buy used, because they are a nightmare to work on (body-off repairs) to get to the engine. You can't go wrong with a Cummins. We just bought our 1st (new to us 2003, dually, 4x4,quad cab) back in Oct. '09 and are loving it!
I agree with the other posters here be sure to buy one here in Calif. so it is Calif smog legal.

Good luck.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Ford is one of the BEST trucks out there. I've owned 3 power stroke diesels. Yes they had a problem in 03, and 04 with their new diesel then but 05 and up are strong great trucks. I have an 07 Superduty and still runs like new with over 80,000. No problems at all. Several people I know have the 05 and up, no Issues.The 6.0 will prove itself to be as worthy as the 7.3 diesel, which I had also and traded it in a 198,000 miles with NO problems. The current 6.4 is good also just not in the mpg department. BUT the BRAND new 6.7 scorpion diesel is amazing on fuel milage and extremely well built. Ford has learned a lesson on the 03 and 04's from the past and this new one is one AWESOME TRUCK. If affordable.

On dodges, great engine,...and thats about it. Built like crap on the inside, Everything rattles and nothing seems secure. I can't stand a rattle or a squeak when driving down the road.

On Chevy even Dodge, well, Support Capitalism and but a Ford.

Good luck in your search and Diesel is definatley the way to go.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have heard some very sad stories about the current generation of Ford Trucks. I don't want to put my money down on a newer (less proven vehicle) as it can cost a whole slug of money when (if) it does goes wrong. My wife is being a stickler and wants a newer truck but its certainly a tricky element that is definately needed when towing an AS.

The original reason for the post was that California is moving to newer regulations vis a vis diesel trucks, & I am was hoping someone smarter than I, had some insight. I've heard rumors that by 2014 the state will issue vouchers to buy back older trucks off vehicle owners to ensure that pollution levels are going to be forcibly reduced. Is any one on this board aware of how these proposed (& implemented) regulations are going to play out? Here's the link to (CARB or) California Air Resources Board Subject Top Page: Diesel Programs and Activities

On the choices for diesel trucks I've seen so far I am contemplating a Dodge with Cummins 5.9L and a GMC with a Duramax Allison combo.. I loved the idea of an early 2000ish Ford F250 with the 7.3L but the wife doesn't want to go for it! There are still a few of those out there that come up from time to time with reasonable existing mileages on them, anyway that's a different discussion..

Thanks again..

John Mc
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I would go for the 6.2 Cummings instead of the 5.9. With all the emission controls added on to the 5.9 I have read it really brings the power and gas mileage down. I'm not sure Dodge even offers the 5.9 now. I have an 05 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummings and more than pleased with it. Towing I get 13-14 mpg and just driving on the highway I can get 20-22 mpg. I believe the Cummings is easier to work on than the Duramax.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Test drive the Cummins auto with the exhaust brake. On your way back to the dealership you will be getting out the checkbook. It is that impressive!
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I've had several Ford diesels and the 7.3 is the best motor until now. The 6.0 and 6.4 diesels were a disaster for Ford. Keep in mind, diesels for Ford pickups were manufactured by another company. I'm getting ready to replace my 7.3 and have looked closely at the Cummings (Ram, formerly called Dodge), the Durmax (GM), and new 6.7 Scorpion (Ford). Currently, I have a 2001 4WD F350 7.3 Supercab long bed Ford. It has been a great truck. I have decided my next truck will be the Ford 6.7 F250. The F250 and the F350 have the same towing capacity and I don't need the bigger cargo capacity of the F350 any more. The F250 is a little less money and I'm hoping the ride is a little better too. The new Ford 6.7 also comes with a new 6 speed transmission that is also very impressive.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
Those rules apply to big rigs only at this time. The trucking co. that I work for has to retrofit their trucks with the new filters in order to be in compliance. Mostly this affects trucks going into the port facilities. Dodges are good however you should take a look at GM. It is my understanding that the 2011 models will have the highest torque rating of the big 3. Also do you need a 1 ton? Unless you are hauling alot in the bed a 3/4t will do the job nicely.
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #12

2006 25' Safari FB SE
A/S Squared, no I don't probably need a full 1 Ton truck I am getting more comfortable with the Silverado 2500HD from Chevrolet. So yes a 3/4 ton should do the trick. I have to say thanks again for all the help of this board to guide me to a good truck too. John M
Old 04-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccartjt View Post
A/S Squared, no I don't probably need a full 1 Ton truck I am getting more comfortable with the Silverado 2500HD from Chevrolet. So yes a 3/4 ton should do the trick. I have to say thanks again for all the help of this board to guide me to a good truck too. John M
The DA is a great combo...wait until you tow with it...amazing. The Cummins is great too...but it comes wrapped in a Dodge...
Verdict is still out on the new Fords...nice trucks, but I would wait to see how the new deezul is...

PM if you have any DA specific ?...

Bill
Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
[QUOTE=mccartjt;840693]I've heard rumors that by 2014 the state will issue vouchers to buy back older trucks off vehicle owners to ensure that pollution levels are going to be forcibly reduced.

WE (as the state of California) does not have the money to buy back owners vehicles - and the ones that are causing all the issues are the "Big Rigs" - not the 3500\350 series trucks and below.

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Go diesel!!!
We purchased a 2010 Ford F-250 diesel in January, replacing our 2002 1500HD 6.0 liter gas Chevy. The towing power of the Ford, along with the stability of ¾ ton suspension is amazing. I feel so much safer towing our 27’ Sovereign behind the diesel. Hills are no problem, ever. The mirrors are excellent and so is the built-in brake controller.
The Dodge is a great truck, too. The Cummins engine has remarkable power and is now a lot quieter. We test drove one and nearly bought one – even tested it to see if it fit in our garage. However, I was concerned about the longevity of Dodge/Chrysler especially when it came to warranty. The salesman blew it by telling us “you shouldn’t worry, because if Chrysler Corporation fails the Government will take over your warranty.” That was enough to sway my wife’s opinion. She proudly drives a (non-bailout) Ford Edge.
The mileage has been surprisingly good, but not as good as the older diesels without the particulate filter in the exhaust. My best tank has been 18.4 mpg freeway; my worst was 11.2 city.
Good luck!
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Sovereign View Post
Go diesel!!!
We purchased a 2010 Ford F-250 diesel in January, replacing our 2002 1500HD 6.0 liter gas Chevy. The towing power of the Ford, along with the stability of ¾ ton suspension is amazing. I feel so much safer towing our 27’ Sovereign behind the diesel. Hills are no problem, ever. The mirrors are excellent and so is the built-in brake controller.
The Dodge is a great truck, too. The Cummins engine has remarkable power and is now a lot quieter. We test drove one and nearly bought one – even tested it to see if it fit in our garage. However, I was concerned about the longevity of Dodge/Chrysler especially when it came to warranty. The salesman blew it by telling us “you shouldn’t worry, because if Chrysler Corporation fails the Government will take over your warranty.” That was enough to sway my wife’s opinion. She proudly drives a (non-bailout) Ford Edge.
The mileage has been surprisingly good, but not as good as the older diesels without the particulate filter in the exhaust. My best tank has been 18.4 mpg freeway; my worst was 11.2 city.
Good luck!
I attached a cell phone photo of my dash during my 18.4 mpg run. This trip was from Bishop, CA to San Diego. Yes, some of this is downhill but there was plenty of traffic to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012-20100325-1549.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	101045  
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote