Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
Recommended Tow Vehicle for up to 23 foot Airstream

Hello, I am new to this website and am looking to buy a used, late model airstream up to 23 feet long. I know about towing capacities, etc. in theory but I hope someone can recommend a pickup truck or an SUV that I can buy used, that has the best gas mileage, can handle the trailer, and is also handy for daily driving around.

thanks, Greta
GretaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
This is the topic of the century

Welcome!

I have freinds that tow a 25 with a Crown Vic, and have for 30 years, same trailer new car. Maybe a Grand Marqiue now.

A 23 can be towed with any full frame vehicle, just make sure the towing capacity is correct.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
I tow a 23ft with a Toyota Tacoma 4dr and love it, great match. 12 mpg average.
72safari23ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
In my opinion (and we all have them, don't we) any full sized, 1/2 ton, V8 powered, towing package equipped pickup will fill you need, as will any simular sized SUV.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
Thanks very much to all of you. Sincerely, Greta
GretaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
2006 Honda Ridgeline. Best in class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	84027  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
I love my Ridgeline but I just traded it in this week for a Nissan Titan to tow my 25' international.

The Ridge can only handle 5000lbs tow and 500lb tongue weight and would not be appropriate for a 23'. 22' sport would be "ok", just "ok".

I miss my Ridge but for a 23', you'd probably need at least a V8 1/2 ton pick-up or derivative of that, like Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia, etc.
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
So now I have the trucko--2010 Tundra w/ tow pkg. Now to start dreaming the single-barreled dream, the AS. I learned a lot more from you guys about trucks than I did from truck dealers!Thank all of you for your help. You can bet I'll use your help when I start looking seriously (ie. with money in hand) for the AS.
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Bordentown , New Jersey
What ever you do.......support the American economy. You're going to buy a great US made trailer why not buy a great US tow vehicle. GM,Ford Chrysler all are good and with incentives from all dealers it is the time to pounce.
Doohickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickey View Post
What ever you do.......support the American economy. You're going to buy a great US made trailer why not buy a great US tow vehicle. GM,Ford Chrysler all are good and with incentives from all dealers it is the time to pounce.
Actually, a lot of foreign badged vehicles are built in American plants now too. So you can buy Hondas and Toyotas and still support American labor.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Actually, a lot of foreign badged vehicles are built in American plants now too. So you can buy Hondas and Toyotas and still support American labor.

I've heard that said before and I wonder what percentage of the money actually goes to support US labor and how much goes back to the fatherland in the form of profits every year?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretaG View Post
Hello, I am new to this website and am looking to buy a used, late model airstream up to 23 feet long. I know about towing capacities, etc. in theory but I hope someone can recommend a pickup truck or an SUV that I can buy used, that has the best gas mileage, can handle the trailer, and is also handy for daily driving around.

thanks, Greta
Hi, I would say that you would be safe with just about any half ton truck or half ton SUV with a factory tow package; But as for fuel mileage, don't expect too much from either of these. The best you can do on mileage is how you drive it. Too fast or wrong gear and your fuel mileage will drop.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #13

2008 22' Safari
Keystone Heights , Florida
I tow our 22' Sport ( aprox. 4000 lbs. loaded) with a GMC Envoy ( Denali V8). I got 15 mpg, overall, on a recent 3500 mile trip. I previously owned a 2003 6 cylinder Envoy that was quite capable of pulling a 4500 lb. trailer. My wife and I use our Envoy as a our primary vehicle, and get about 19 mpg overall when not towing a trailer.
edgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GM,Ford Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've heard that said before and I wonder what percentage of the money actually goes to support US labor and how much goes back to the fatherland in the form of profits every year?
Well, if folks cared about the nationality of the profit makers, they would have to re-investigate carefully their "nameless" stock portfolios--mutual funds and such--with the end result being that they are making profit from numerous foreign companies, and numerous foreign investors are profiting by owning our companies, or owning large portfolios that include our companies. But I don't invest. If I did, I'd have to find out which foreign companies abuse child laborers and so forth, since I wouldn't want to profit from that. Thus who makes the profit is too complicated.

As for the cars: "Five of the top 10 cars on the cars.com list are Japanese nameplates - four Toyotas and one Honda. Or that three of the domestic U.S. models on the list are trucks. Of the Top 10 vehicles on the list, the only U.S. nameplate passenger cars on the list are the Chevy Malibu, made in Kansas City, and the Ford Taurus, made in Chicago." Toyota Tundra is among the top 10, made in San Antonio. Only one GMC, one Chevrolet, and one Ford rank in the top 10. Tundra is more "American made" than Dodge Ram.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GM,Ford Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Well, if folks cared about the nationality of the profit makers, they would have to re-investigate carefully their "nameless" stock portfolios--mutual funds and such--with the end result being that they are making profit from numerous foreign companies, and numerous foreign investors are profiting by owning our companies, or owning large portfolios that include our companies. But I don't invest. If I did, I'd have to find out which foreign companies abuse child laborers and so forth, since I wouldn't want to profit from that. Thus who makes the profit is too complicated.

As for the cars: "Five of the top 10 cars on the cars.com list are Japanese nameplates - four Toyotas and one Honda. Or that three of the domestic U.S. models on the list are trucks. Of the Top 10 vehicles on the list, the only U.S. nameplate passenger cars on the list are the Chevy Malibu, made in Kansas City, and the Ford Taurus, made in Chicago." Toyota Tundra is among the top 10, made in San Antonio. Only one GMC, one Chevrolet, and one Ford rank in the top 10. Tundra is more "American made" than Dodge Ram (and all the other trucks GMC and Ford make). I suspect that given the layoffs and sales force reductions, foreign/American auto companies actually have more Americans on the payrolls. Be interesting to find out (but not on this forum).
Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Most of the best-selling Japanese-branded sedans and pickups are assembled in factories in North America using the parts sourced in America. Keep in mind that only the niche (i.e. Toyota FJ, Mazda Miata) or luxury cars (i.e. every Lexus) are today actually made in Japan and shipped to US...

By buying a Japanese vehicle, your money goes to Toyota/Denso/Firestone(=Bridgestone) factories located somewhere in Midwestern US. On the other hand, by buying a American vehicle, the money goes to GM/Delphi/Goodyear factories somewhere in or vicinity of Michigan.

So, buying a Toyota would mostly mean supporting US economy.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
The profit margin for $20,000 (a competitive segment) vehicle is typically only several hundreds of dollars for automakers. SUVs and trucks (>$20K price), perhaps, rake in a few thousands at most.

The profit (say 5% of your money) is repatriated back to Japan.
Cost (95% of your money) = American labor + Parts made in US + R&D (My wild guess is perhaps a half is spent in US, and the other half spent in Japan)

The profit + the portion of R&D = the money going to Japan.
My guess is this only amounts to less than 10% of the total price you paid.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'm surprised at these profit numbers as I thought they would be a lot higher.
I actually thought that those companies were getting rich by selling their cars in the US market.
Thanks for the comments.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TV weight ratings should line up reasonably with TT weight ratings.
An fully independent suspension TV is preferred for stability solo or towing.

The default choice is always a half-ton pickup truck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
I have a 68 Tradewind and tow with a Explorer Sporttrac with the 4.6 liter engine. It has the 18 inch wheels and all the bells and whistles. I have towed the trailer to the Canadian border without a problem. It will of course slow down while going up big grades but that is not a problem. It will tow going 70 very easily. The usual gas mileage is 10 and of course sometimes better and sometimes worse. Very easy vehicle to get around in, this is very much like the Tundra. Looks as though your getting many replies. I hope this helps.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote