Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Ram vs. F-150

I am quite satisfied with my F-150, but recently I had occasion to borrow a friend's Ram 1500. I was surprised how much more crisp (sporty?) his Ram handled, and the ride seemed better than my F-150. By comparison my F-150 lacks road feel and is less responsive.

I know this is all subjective, but I'd like to hear from others who have owned both brands as to your comparison of them.

All of this falls in the "daily driver" category and excludes payload differences (F-150 wins this).

Your thoughts?

On another topic, I'm startled by the huge differences between Consumer Reports and Dashboard Light in assessing reliability of the above two brands, and especially so as regards the Jeep brand.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know many people love Ram, and this is just my opinion. My last Ram was a new 2000 1500, and in less than 50 K miles I had the following problems. Dash cracked, electric window failed (eventually fell into the door), pulled to the right; dealer said there was nothing wrong, floor heat never worked, overhead sunglass holder broke and hung down. Engine ran fine, but got 11 MPG average.
Now maybe Fiat has addressed the poor QC (???) but I won't be the guinea pig.

According to JD Power, the current bottom four manufacturers are Dodge, Chrysler, Ram, Fiat.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've had two Fords, when I was young, 1930 and 1950 sedans, they were both good cars.

We had a 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi and our present EcoDiesel. We bought them for the ride comfort, great interior and comfortable seats, good handling, remarkable fuel economy (EcoD 16-19 towing and 28-30 solo highway), and plenty of axle load capacity and towing capability for our extensive travels with our Airstream.

I think the comfortable ride is because of the full coil suspension, which also provides better lateral stability and handling (according to Ram engineers) than leaf springs.

Reliability for us. Five years with the two Rams towing our Airstream all over the country and hauling and towing loads at home they have only been in the shop for routine scheduled service.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Mollysdad's story reminded me of the time I thought the front end needed alignment or had loose suspension... until I realized the crown on the road I usually drove was non-standard and the wind often affects such matters. When the front-end shop told me the truck was within spec I didn't believe it ... then drove the truck a different route than my usual and... sure 'nough...no problem.
Anyway, the small items mentioned, while surely aggravating, do not come up to the level of condemnation of an entire product-line, IMO.

I"ve owned one Chevy, one GMC, and 4 Fords (3 of which were F150s) and Fords were always my favorite until recently. The GM products rusted out the bodies, the Fords were durable and dependable.... at least until the 2010 model year... was my experience. Then I drove a Ram 1500.

The 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 really impressed me with it's independent front drive axle suspension and it's rear coil suspension. The transmissions are the smoothest multi-geared I've ever experienced, and the Ramboxes are the cats-meow. The interior is well engineered.... although after 4 years I am worried that the drivers seat-fabric is wearing at the edge near the door where my butt slides off it when dismounting. I'll likely have to buy a new seat-cover before long to keep the pristine look I like. (I don't buy new vehicles every 3 years like most... I drive 'em until I wreck 'em or wear them out.)
The GMs were mid '70s models, as were two of the Fords. But those 350 V8s GM makes are incredibly strong and durable...the bodies were junk. The Ford bodies/beds were durable and the 351M engine ran way past 250K miles before it started smoking. (When I sold it the buyer was ecstatic over the price... and took it while I ordered a replacement title because I couldn't find the original... But when he got the replacement title and saw the 54K miles on the odometer represented 254K miles instead of the 154K he expected, he called me to complain. "You never asked," was my reply, "so I didn't think you cared. Didn't the 4 alternator and one transmission replacement receipts and warranty paperwork give you a clue?"
That '78 F150 was sold in '95... and I still see it occasionally out here in ranch-country pulling cattle to market. I was definitely a Ford guy.... but if this Ram holds up as well as it seems it is.... I'll admit RAM has finally beat Ford.
Of course, it's a competitive market and what was made in 2012 doesn't mean the 2020 product will still be out-front. One thing about life.... things change.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I've had a 2009 F150, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee eco-diesel, and 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 liter gas.

All three have been very reliable with minimal issues.

The Ram 1500 is by far the most comfortable of the 3 in regards to ride quality, seat comfort, ergonomic layout of controls, etc. 25,000 miles and not one issue.

The Jeep GC is great, but had a few computer glitches in the infotainment system that I was able to fix myself by downloading an update for the software (available on the Jeep website, download to a USB drive, insert into USB port in Jeep, and upgrade). 40,000 miles and only the above mentioned computer issues. No issues which affected drivability.

The Ford is great, but more "truck-like" in ride, etc. 70,000 miles and not a single issue.

Regarding quality, I think the vehicles today are so much better than they were even 10 years ago. It's hard to compare to historical data regarding build quality, because all brands have improved tremendously. It's difficult to actually find a BAD vehicle these days. If you buy a new vehicle and it's in the shop all the time, then it's probably just your bad luck. You'll find many more owners who have never had a problem.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Mollysdad's story reminded me of the time I thought the front end needed alignment or had loose suspension... until I realized the crown on the road I usually drove was non-standard and the wind often affects such matters. When the front-end shop told me the truck was within spec I didn't believe it ... then drove the truck a different route than my usual and... sure 'nough...no problem.
Give me a little more credit than that.
I assumed it was the crown when I did the test drive, I even tried to convince myself it was fine, except it wasn't. It ALWAYS pulled to the right. If you took your hands off the wheel, it would be in the ditch in 3 seconds. The front tires wore on one side. I took it to Dodge and after an hour the Service manager said it's in spec. I didn't get to watch. What does that mean? If it's in spec it shouldn't try to run off every road.

I knew the Pro-Ram folks would disagree, and that why I said "It's my opinion".
Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
They both build a great truck each has pros & cons. The Ram does have a quieter cab & ride and a smoother better handling more road compliant ride. Flip side you will want factory air ride or air bags to help the coils for heavier loads quicker than you will with the Ford.

274,000 miles on my 2014 EcoDiesel mostly delivering AS from Ohio to WA, OR, CA, TX & FL. Have had great luck mechanically. Lift pump, alignment, light switch.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
274,000 miles on my 2014 EcoDiesel mostly delivering AS from Ohio to WA, OR, CA, TX & FL. Have had great luck mechanically. Lift pump, alignment, light switch.
Wow! You know towing!
Be careful with my new AS, please.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Give me a little more credit than that.
I assumed it was the crown when I did the test drive, I even tried to convince myself it was fine, except it wasn't. It ALWAYS pulled to the right. If you took your hands off the wheel, it would be in the ditch in 3 seconds. The front tires wore on one side. I took it to Dodge and after an hour the Service manager said it's in spec. I didn't get to watch. What does that mean? If it's in spec it shouldn't try to run off every road.

I knew the Pro-Ram folks would disagree, and that why I said "It's my opinion".
OK, Mr. President... My post did not in any fashion criticize you personally. I only referenced your post to indicate the subject was about alignment. I never implied you didn't know if you had a problem or not. (Although it's apparent you do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
They both build a great truck each has pros & cons. The Ram does have a quieter cab & ride and a smoother better handling more road compliant ride. Flip side you will want factory air ride or air bags to help the coils for heavier loads quicker than you will with the Ford.....
Ram has noticed apparently. They now also have air suspensions.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
FWIW, I don't think the Ram 1500 air suspension is to increase load carrying capacity, I think coil and air suspensions both have 3900 lb axles front and rear.

It does level the truck for loading (but does not do any weight distribution), provides a softer ride, can raise the height of the truck for more ground clearance, and can lower the height of the truck for stepping up into it, and a little less wind resistance going down the road. Nice feature.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I love my 2016 Ram Sport with 5.7 Hemi. It rides like a car and pulls my 28 foot AS with ease. The 8 speed tranny is smooth and shifts way faster than did my Chevy Avalanche. Even on the Blue Ridge Parkway the Hemi did not strain on some steep inclines (Hwy. 151) I did install 2000 pound Sumo springs and use the 1500 pound Blue Ox wdh. I have some extra batteries in the front so my tongue weight is high at 1200 lbs. but the Blue Ox does a great job keeping me straight and level.

There are times I wish for the Eco Diesel but with most of my driving in town I really like the Hemi. Plus it sounds really cool when you remote start.

The only thing I don't enjoy is 10 mpg. Blame it on the 3.92 rear end.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I love my 2016 Ram Sport with 5.7 Hemi.
The only thing I don't enjoy is 10 mpg. Blame it on the 3.92 rear end.
The Tundra has a 4.30!
Back in my day a 4.10 was considered a drag racing rear end. I think with the newer overdrives and 6-10 speed trannys, a lower rear axle is okay.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
OK, Mr. President... I never implied you didn't know if you had a problem or not. (Although it's apparent you do.)
I prefer "King" when being addressed by my subjects. You may rise, my son!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
comparisons are sometimes trouble but...

I had never owned a pickup when I started contemplating a trailer. I first went to the RAM dealer in LaBelle- a big sale. I looked and came back home. I went to church the next day, Sunday, and was sharing with friends, two RAM owners. Both told me not to get a RAM. One bought new, the other used. A third guy, David, told me to get a Chevy. I liked the looks, still do. One thing that might be giving you that sporty feeling is that shorter wheelbase and, depending on what year of Ford you have, the quicker steering turn to turn. The RAM manager here in Fort Myers, when I went to look at the Ecodiesel told the inquiring sales guy and me no way when I told him I had a 1000# tongue weight- said it was not an option and took me to the 5.7L. Like I said, it drove nice and I liked the looks.

I have never posted this, talking of brands but I get a discount on GM and still bought Ford. To me, they define truck- hauler, load, etc. I drove each brand before buying, except Nissan, and noted things that were good in each but when it came down to engine-tow-load; I picked Ford- again. Low RPM torque, great payload, regular gas, etc. It is just hard to beat. It is not perfect but none of them are.

P.S. I just looked at your truck on your post, your truck is a heavier truck and I believe you have a full half turn more steering lock to lock. Those two things would make the RAM feel sportier. My '09 F150 felt like a battleship after driving the '15 F150 during my jumping between right before buying. Six to eight hundred pounds is noticeable.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I drive about 50K per year on my work trucks covering most of 3 states. Since these are leased I get to change out trucks about every 2 years. The trucks are usually 1/2 ton fully loaded with tools and gear. Sometimes I drive 3/4 ton versions that pull a 8K - 10K lb box trailer also loaded. All the trucks are full Crew Cabs.

I've had my 2015 Ford for just over a year with 65K on it.

The Dodge with Hemi motor is great for towing and just driving around town. Floor it and it goes great. The Ford seems to have a smoother ride, but not as much road feel. A little too soft in the suspension. I like this one better on long 10 hr drives. On job sites that have dirt roads it can get a little like being in a boat in rough seas. The Dodge is crisper but can get jarring.

The issues I've had are pretty consistent with the other guys who work for the company. The Dodges have great powertrain and running gear but poor quality on the interior and little things. Parking break levers breaking. Radio issues. Seat problems. That kind of thing. The Fords are better in that later category but can have some issues on drive train. Right now my Ford dealer has a back log of trucks waiting for motors or trannies. This may just be luck though as mine is good. I have the 5.0.

We also get to drive Chevy's but you didn't ask about that.

The only thing I want to tryout is a truck with vented seats and active cruise control. I got lucky and got one with vented seats and in 115 degree weather after sweating all day that was a dream.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Rodsterinfl, The difference in ride is not wheelbase. The other four half tons have leaf spring suspension the Ram has coil spring or optional four corner air ride.

Does it make any sense to you that your local Ram salesman says the EcoDiesel suspension is too soft for 1,000 pound tongue but the Hemi with same suspension is fine for that 1,000 pound tongue.

BTW for the Ram in 2014 rated max receiver tongue weight with WDH is 1,290 without I think 1,150.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Rodsterinfl, The difference in ride is not wheelbase. The other four half tons have leaf spring suspension the Ram has coil spring or optional four corner air ride.

Does it make any sense to you that your local Ram salesman says the EcoDiesel suspension is too soft for 1,000 pound tongue but the Hemi with same suspension is fine for that 1,000 pound tongue.

BTW for the Ram in 2014 rated max receiver tongue weight with WDH is 1,290 without I think 1,150.
Wheelbase has quite a bit to do with ride quality. The OP referred to how much sportier the RAM felt. It is similar to driving a Miata versus a larger car. The larger car may have a more powerful engine but the quick turning and maneuverability of the Miata give it a sporty feel even though it may not be as powerful. Extreme example. I was aware of the coils versus the leaf. That could be a whole other discussion. A coil suspension, as you pointed out, is softer, I would not equate that with sportiness. Isn't Ford the only one with leaf springs now? There is a 4" difference in wheelbase between the RAM Crew and the Ford Supercrew.
The manager's redirect was valid in that the Ecodiesel I was interested in only had a 1200# payload. With a 1000# tongue weight, that left me 200# for people and other cargo- not enough. He knew that limitation. He steered me to the 5.7L crew with 3.92 which I drove. Also, if I am not mistaken, the lock to lock on the dodge was fewer turns and the radius was shorter than my 2009 by a bit.

My point was that a vehicle with a shorter turning radius, a tighter steering (lock to lock- quicker) and shorter wheelbase would feel sportier. That and any weight difference. I know the Ford in reviews up until 2015 was referred to as the heavyweight in comparisons. I found a reference weight on the RAM of 5428 compared to 2013 Ford around 5580 (my '09 crew CAT weight).
Just my thoughts.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
This discussion has been very illuminating for me. Thanks to all of you for your comments!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote