Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Lightbulb Powered Trailer Dollies...

PowerWheel / PowerMover/ PowerCaster... Any experience?

Hello everyone!

I plan to store my Airstream in the back garden driveway which is accessed by a very narrow alley and i can not get the tow vehicle into this very
tight spot to manuever.

I have found three "electric power trailer dollies" on the market...
Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with any of these companies?

Power Caster - The original trailer mover! Maneuver your RV or boat trailer in limited space with this powerful, easy to use and safe electric trailer dolly. POWER CASTER handles all types of travel trailers (including fifth-wheels), boat trailers, A
AC Trailer Dollies,DC Trailer Dollies,Fifth Wheel Dollies,Electric ATVS
PowerWheel USA, LLC - Your easy answer to trailer moving.

Aside from being the coolest gadget i've seen yet, the powertouch (a
set of electric motors that drive the trailer's wheels via remote control) is on sale!

Regards,

(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Javier-

What a great thread. I too have been looking for a power dolly but before spending the bucks was wondering how good and how big did I need. I look forward as you do to see what others have to say.

Thank you for posting!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Power Mover AC-6

I park my Argosy in the back yard. Difficulty doing it with the 3/4 ton Dodge Ram is real high and it tears up the back yard. It's okay if I manage to miss all of the trees. That wasn't fun....

The Power Mover is really cool. Although the unit is not the most craftsman like fabrication that I have seen, the unit is solid and works well. If you were going to push around anything bigger than my Argosy, I would get a bigger unit. Four wheels rather than the three I have would be good. It has a brake setup that is worth something if you have inclines.

The Power Mover configuration with the real long "handle bars" looked a bit awkward but as it turns out that the extra leverage is worth it. I can pivot the trailer on its center clockwise or counterclockwise.

All in all, it is a really good thing for me. See
All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
can't finish anyth

2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the reply! Let's see who else chimes in. The PowerMover guy was helpful and he seemed to know his product.

this is the one that i'm finding impressive...

Powrtouch Trailer Mover

Hopefully, someone with one of these will enlighten us. Evidently this is an English comapny (makes sense since everything in eurpoe is a tight fit).
(totally off thread) I know what the red numbers are, but what are the blue numbers?
2010 Touareg TDI
Old 03-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too have looked at these and the cost is what's held me back. My driveway is about 120ft long it's always a chore to get the Safari into the drive, but at the price these cost, my situation isn't that bad, but it sure would make life easier.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream
<snip> (totally off thread) I know what the red numbers are, but what are the blue numbers?
AirstreamForums UserID numbers. They are sequentially assigned when you sign up.

Yours is: #19502

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Wow, the PowerWheel/PowerTouch is really bitchin. What a great idea. You don't have to lug around some 70lb device to move your trailer. With my size trailer, backing in hasn't been much of a problem. But if I were to get a bigger trailer I might SERIOUSLY consider that product.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
I have used a power caster for 20 years and it is great. With our airstream I needed to upgrade from a PC 1 to a PC 2 because of the hitch weight. We have a 25' trailer.

I still have the PC1 if some one has a small trailer.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

power mover

I have a 3 wheel 110v Power Mover (see pix) that I use with trailers 5000 # or less and tongue weight less than 500#. There are several issues with probably all these devices.

1. It won't work on grass as the little wheels slip. Works fine on cement.

2. It is designed to connect to the trailer in a special socket that you have to attach to the trailer. Its like a trailer ball but instead of a ball its a cylinder or peg. Probably to prevent side to side movement. I never figured out a good place to attach this to an Airstream because the tonque is crowded. You not only need a place to bolt it on but need clearance to swing the mover around underneath to turn. I gave up and designed a different device that has a peg hole on one side and a trailer ball on the other side. I have to bolt this device on the the trailer when I move it.

3. It takes a lot of muscle to control the handle expecially when turning on the slight grade of the driveway in front of my garage. So much that I broke the handle and then had to add braces to the handle.

4. Coming down the slight incline is real exciting. You give the motor a slight blip of go and then the trailer starts picking up speed. I have to have a brakeman arond to stop the trailer after a few feet with a 4 by 4 under the wheel. Then we go again for a few feet. Never tried the brake which is simply a wire in the trailer connecter to the trailer brakes and the trailers battery.

With that said my mover does work for me to negotiate various trailers around a tight corner behind my garage. This tight corner has a very slight incline so when I back a trailer around the corner, the trailer is going up the incline. There's no way I can move these trailers up the incline with a simple dolly under the ball. I would buy one like I have again. And it doesn't take up much room in the garage.

pix 1- Incline in front of garage
pix 2 - My power mover
pix 3- my ball to peg adapter device
pix4 - mover peg
pix 5 - the supplied peg socket bracket that must be bolted to the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hill.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	34318   Click image for larger version

Name:	mover.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	34319  

Name:	device.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	34320   Click image for larger version

Name:	mover peg.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	34321  

Name:	sockt.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	34322  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a AC8 worth it weight in money. I have a very narrow drive and lets me fit the trailer in with no problem. Has saved me the cost on monthly storage. Best customer service I have ever had, they will get it right and not nickle and dime you to death.

All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
can't finish anyth

2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Hello everyone!

A quick update... I have given the Powertouch / powerwheel folks pictures and measurements of the 19 foot bambi to see if we can fit the powertouch to the airstream. Looks like everything will fit if i can sort out a "Jockey wheel" at the tongue.

Here's the question: With space at a premium (see picture below), how can i get a GRASS capable jockey wheel (airfilled 10" tire) on the trailer tongue?

I was thinking that after i remove the car, i could use a bottle jack to lift the tongue enough to fit a tire to the electirc jack post but i'm afraid that might be unstable. What do you think? Going over a grass lawn is an occasional but necessary requirement, so i need a jockey wheel that can handle softer terrain.

Does anyone know of a tire that can be some how mounted to the hitch socket?

I'll post the pictures and conversations with the powertouch folks later.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2007AShitch3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	35098  
2010 Touareg TDI
Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Multiple mounting points....

Golf....

Had a thought about your 'grass' issue. How about 'multiple' attachment points for your grass wheel.... something like:

Mount the wheel in the bottom of the tongue jack, with a stabilizer going to both sides of the a-frame (saddle mount) AND to the ball reciever (use existing to hold) ie. a 3 point system with the wheel in the center of it and mounted up INTO the jack tube. Thinking that would easily provide stability and should be capable of resisting 'wiggle', which I think would be the greatest issue in 'soft surface' movement.

I dunno, just had that thought and figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it. "Give it a think".

Be sure to post back when you 'solve' this one, OK?

Axel
SilverToy
Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
can't finish anyth

2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Great Idea!

I think we'll be able to mount a stable (10" air filled) wheel directly to the electric hitch post without too much hassle. The problem is that i will need to somehow get the trailer tongue high enough to slip the wheel into place.

Since the height of the tongue with the car attached is too low to slip the grass wheel into place, I'll have to unhitch the car and lift the tongue with something else. Right now, i'm thinking of doing that with a bottle jack into the hitch socket. That should get me tall enought to slip a bigger wheel onto the electic hitch post. My question is how stable will that be? I'd hate to have all that weight fall on me as i try to fit the wheel.

What i think would be perfect is something that looks like the front wheels on a 747... Twin wheels on either side of a center post. the center post could do the swivel.

Any ideas?
2010 Touareg TDI
Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
You might be able to use something like the following manual trailer dolly as a starting point.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Malcolm