Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #41
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
As you go about your daily travels take a look at the many trailers that you see. Utility, box, equipment, etc, etc.
You will see that few, perhaps even none of them have any kind of WD or sway control.
Then ask yourself why not.
Is it because all those other people are dumb or just don't know better? Is it because Airstreams just tow really lousy and actually need those towing aids?
Or could it be that Streamers often have plenty of dough and just love all those fancy but unnecessary doo dads and gew gaws?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
As you go about your daily travels take a look at the many trailers that you see. Utility, box, equipment, etc, etc.
You will see that few, perhaps even none of them have any kind of WD or sway control.
Then ask yourself why not.
Is it because all those other people are dumb or just don't know better? Is it because Airstreams just tow really lousy and actually need those towing aids?
Or could it be that Streamers often have plenty of dough and just love all those fancy but unnecessary doo dads and gew gaws?

It could also be that Airstreamers are well read and know more.

I was quite shocked when a friend of mine, who is a mechanic and tows all manner of goodies behind his various trucks and vans, didn't know the difference between a sway bar and a WD system. He genuinely thought that they were one and the same thing.

I think that there are many out there that really don't know what a WD, or sway, system can do.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #43
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
It could also be that Airstreamers are well read and know more.

I was quite shocked when a friend of mine, who is a mechanic and tows all manner of goodies behind his various trucks and vans, didn't know the difference between a sway bar and a WD system. He genuinely thought that they were one and the same thing.

I think that there are many out there that really don't know what a WD, or sway, system can do.
Both he and your post prove that you don't need all that stuff as much as it does that you do.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Recent visit with an Airstream dealer. When asking him about different WD/Sway hitches they had, his comment was "Airstream is the most aerodynamically produced trailer. I do not know why anyone wants to spend all that money on a sway control hitch". Cant wait for this dude to hook up my trailer.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitlupe View Post
Any idea what the folks that deliver the new trailers from factory to dealer use for WD/SC?
Those that I have seen use heaver pickup trucks and just the ball. Even if the wanted to use a WD system that would mar the trailer tongue. Keep in mind that those drivers tend to be professionals.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Can't believe debate goes on . . .

Safety, redundancy, minimize liability exposure, self-preservation, and the list goes on . . .

Grab the sharpest tool in the tool bag . . .

WD and SC.

No brainer IMO.

PS -- RV trailers differ from all other trailers, with their 3 large tank liquid weights distributed far from the center of motion, plus the liquid in a half-full tank sloshes around with its own internal resonance, with no internal baffles in the tanks. Hmmmmm . . .

Swing a pendulum with a large weight on the end, and then pinch the narrow end with two fingers to try to stop the swing. Hard to do . . .
Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Sway control/Weight distribution?

The day this photo was taken began at about 70°...then slowly this unexpected blizzard came in, cross winds maybe 30+mph. Trailer at one point was at 45° out to the left side, then I slowed to 35 mph and had six semi's following at 35 mph the remaining 75 miles into Laramie, Wyoming.

The next morning:

AirstreamREV_2009_Int_27FB_Snow_04.2010-3 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

I have also been in rain storms where sudden wind gusts lifted the wipers off the windshield of my TV.

My Reese dual cam WD hitch is probably not necessary, except in these critical situations. Then, I suspect, the SC/WD hitch was helpful. This is kinda like seat belts. Not necessary....except in rare situations where an unexpected event occurs....then life saving.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #48
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Can't believe debate goes on . . . .
As long as there are differences of opinion, as long as some do not fret and worry unnecessarily and as long as I am here the debate will go on.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My take is that most 3/4 ton or all1 Ton tow vehicle do not need weight distribution to tow an Airstream. The load really isn't that much, but in my experience, the two Airstreams I own do need sway control to be towed comfortably and safely at over 60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'm always slightly bemused when this debate crops up.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help their TV, no matter how big it is, by spreading the load a little with a weight distribution system. Why would you want to hang all that weight on a single point some distance from the rear axle when there are cheap and effective WD setups that will put some of that load on all of your available axles, including those on the trailer? It just seems like common sense to me.

If your WD system of choice doesn't already come with sway control or sway elimination then why not add a very cheap friction bar or two, just to seal the deal? Added insurance and a better towing experience. Again, it all seems to be such a simple and cheap method of reducing your towing risks.

Of course people tow without WD and anti-sway all the time, and good luck to them, but I can't understand why you'd want to cheap out on such things when you're towing a very expensive travel trailer.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
My take is that most 3/4 ton or all1 Ton tow vehicle do not need weight distribution to tow an Airstream. The load really isn't that much, but in my experience, the two Airstreams I own do need sway control to be towed comfortably and safely at over 60 mph.

Superat stultitia.
Which ones do you use? Are they stand alone sway only?

Anyone else use sway control only? If so which one and do you recommend it.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I use sway only, two of them. Available from harbor freight, Reese, eazlift, etrailer. Must have hitch head with holes for small hitch balls to attach sway to.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Planning not to use WDH, bad idea?

I use a 1/2 ton with sway and WD, but for a time I used neither. I found myself needing sway a lot more than WD because I cant drive 55.

I really cant say that I NEEDED weight distribution even with my 1/2 ton.

I have been running a Hensley for some time now.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #53

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The main advantage to the weight distribution function is that it puts some of the tongue weight back on the front axle of the tow vehicle. This helps steering, especially in wet driving conditions. Insufficient weight on the front axle can create a hazardous driving situation.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, I imagine some folks go without because of cost. I had to add $900 to the cost of my AS for an Equalizer hitch. That's a lot of money. I would have rather bought a couple of glass mat batteries. But decided towing is not something to go on the cheap.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Well, I imagine some folks go without because of cost. I had to add $900 to the cost of my AS for an Equalizer hitch. That's a lot of money. I would have rather bought a couple of glass mat batteries. But decided towing is not something to go on the cheap.
I too was thinking about cost and safety when I purchased the truck. Long wheel base, DRW, exhaust brake. I tow many different trailers and have owned many trucks. If I never came across Air Forums, the thought of sway control/WD would have never cross my mind.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When I drop the trailer on the ball, the rear drops about two inches and the front if the truck raises an inch, hardly making it necessary for a WD hitch. I realize this us unusual but not unheard of.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire, page 689 of the 2016 RAM 2500/3500 owner's manual (available to all on the ramtrucks.com site) states the following:

Quote:
If the gross trailer weight is 5,000 lbs (2 267 kg) or more, it is recommended to use a weight-distributing hitch to ensure stable handling of your vehicle. If you use a standard weight-carrying hitch, you could lose control of your vehicle and cause a collision.
Do as you see fit. Seems to me a small price to pay, but as long as it's not my vehicle - or life - you destroy on that million-to-one occasion, have at it.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #58
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, it is a bad idea. The axle location and lateral profile of an AS can result in sway if the tow stability profile is exceeded. A boat trailer places the axles quite far back to balance the aft weight of the engine mass. This provides a different towing stability profile than an AS. A trash trailer is usually shorter than an AS and often is towed at slower speed. Sway is not a problem, until it is a growing problem. It is a bad idea to assume that since you have not experienced sway on prior trailers that it will not ever be a problem on a future coach.

The other issue is that a stiff tow vehicle needs a soft coach connection. Take care with your bar selection.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 05-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I have not read all of the posts to this tread so I will address my comments directly to your original post.

Yes many have towed boats, utility trailers and toy haulers without sway control. I think the difference is that RVs are towed generally over greater distance and over roads that permit high speeds than the the boat to the dock or the utility trailer to the dump. This presents a different driving environment and more frequent chance of a problem and thus many see a need for a WD system.

In your case the your truck clearly will not need a WD system but you might consider the sway control offered by the Andersen system.
I am sorry to rain on you parade friend but the Anderson does "NOT" have sway control! There is nothing in that hitch that counters the sway direction. It does a passable job on WD but even that gets involved by having to add or remove chain links. I lived with one for one year, I wouldn't recommend it to friend for sure.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Yes, it is a bad idea. The axle location and lateral profile of an AS can result in sway if the tow stability profile is exceeded. A boat trailer places the axles quite far back to balance the aft weight of the engine mass. This provides a different towing stability profile than an AS. A trash trailer is usually shorter than an AS and often is towed at slower speed. Sway is not a problem, until it is a growing problem. It is a bad idea to assume that since you have not experienced sway on prior trailers that it will not ever be a problem on a future coach.

The other issue is that a stiff tow vehicle needs a soft coach connection. Take care with your bar selection.

Travel safe. Pat
Yes, I have never felt sway on any trailer we pull that was properly loaded. I have crashed when one wasn't. This is the reason the truck after incident has been long wheel base DRW trucks.

Thus my original post. It's great to hear everyone's experiences. I try to figure out if the recommendation is valid for me. Are they towing with a CJ5 or a long wheel based truck? Trailer size?

As I continue to gather info, I will be using some type of sway control rather than going without as I was planning.

I have been researching stand alone sway control but it is very limited as most tie into the WD bars or come together as a set.

Bar selection? Do I call the manufacture and tell them TV, 26' Argosy, weight and they will know?

Any suggestions?
Closed Thread