Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Oyster Bed Bridge , Prince Edward Island
Chrysler Aspen

Stay away from the Chrysler Aspen Limited with the Hemi, poor stability, mileage and overall waste of money.. Stick with GM and save yourself. Only good thing about Aspen is the look....well I guess you could leave it parked somewhere....lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer set up 117.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	79926  

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
Stay away from the Chrysler Aspen Limited with the Hemi, poor stability
Wb... You are comparing the Aspen with a Hemi Magnum. Big difference.

Could it be that you were spoiled with the Magnum and the Aspen handles like a typical SUV??

Interested in hearing more of your views on the differences in handling between the Magnum and the Aspen. thnxs

Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Oyster Bed Bridge , Prince Edward Island
There are huge differences in the handling.. I'm not sure where to start other than I should have listened to my good buddy Andy at CanAM. It was my virgin trip today, just alittle spin down the highway to see what it was like. I took a passanger along with me who had also been in the dodge Magnum while towing and they said... geez, you can really feel the trailer in this truck compared to the Magnum. The only possitive with this SUV is i felt I picked up speed a wee bit faster than the car. weird as they both have the same engine. the Magnum (car) got 12mpg this thing on the road was barely getting 10mpg. Well, lessoned learned I will take the huge hit in two years and trade this jalopy err SUV in and get another car. the Magnum cost us 39K and this SUV cost us 57K and all i got was a back up camera to hitch up alone...WOW
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Chevy Express

Consider the value of a full-sized van. We have a 12 passenger 2005 Chevy Express 3500 (1 ton.) We remove the two middle seats when towing our 2006 Safari 25' SE FB. The large back seat remains for the dogs. Gross capacity 10,000 lbs.

There's about 7' of open floor where the two middle seats were removed, where we keep a storage unit for our on-the-road stuff, dog stuff, campsite stuff, etc. Camp chairs and firewood go behind the back seat. There's even enough room to lay out an inflated mattress and nap when you're tag-teaming trying to drive across Texas!

When we aren't hooked up to our AS Silvia, Silvester (our van) is great at moving groups to family events, furniture for our oft-moving daughters, and home improvement tools and materials.

Best of all, compare the prices for a Chevy Express, GMC Savana or Ford van against the SUV prices.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Breaking point, 25'

Hi, you have been given a lot of good advise; I will make it somewhat simple. If you decide on a 25'er a half ton will work just fine. If you decide on the 28'er I would recommend a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. Even though a half ton might be within the weight limits of a 28'er You have to consider the fact that a larger trailer is a larger sail in the wind. [My opinion, others may disagree]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Crew Cab pickup gives you a "dirty" place to carry stuff you don't want in your SUV. Of course if you are a very neat person, don't carry a generator and don't carry extra stuff an SUV will work great. You'll also save some money. Do the math on the weight. You'll likely go with a 2500HD 6 Liter. Of course the best way to go is a Duramax. Goes good, stops good also. Stopping is really important at the bottom of a long hill.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #21
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
lake lure , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Welcome....oh boy do you have a LOT of reading to do.

Or; just get yourself a 3/4ton Burb (or Excursion) and save yourself some trouble...

Welcome, again, proceed cautiously.

Bill
Wondering what you mean??? I have been doing alot of reading, thats why I have alot of questions Did my questions sound stupid??
Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormywx View Post
Wondering what you mean??? I have been doing alot of reading, thats why I have alot of questions Did my questions sound stupid??
Probably your question comparing HEMI's to 3/4 tons prompted the remark or the fact that this type question just always generates a lot of responses and differing view points that will provide "a lot of reading."

I am surprised that no one has suggested that you select the trailer you want first. Doing so will narrow the search for the "perfect" tow vehicle (which by the way does not exist.) For instance - If you end up with a 34 footer, you'll probably want to stay away from the Durango/Aspen but if you land a 25'er, it might be OK.

Roger
Old 05-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
We've towed our 31' Sovereign almost 40,000 miles over the past four years with a 2004 Nissan Titan (essentially the same frame/powertrain as the Armada) with no problems.
The Armada is going to have an Independent Rear Suspension, not a solid axle like our Titans. Check the tow specifications closely if you go that route. The brakes got bigger in 2008, I feel they're still too small for serious towing in the hills.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Last year was our first year of towing. We didn't know one anything from another anything so we did a lot of stumbling around in the dark. Good for you for asking, seeking, questioning. We ended up with a 25' International, 2007. Before we purchased the AS, we had found a 2004 Nissan Armada. We had looked at a lot of SUVs and found many of them had a fairly limited tow capacity. Watch the numbers! Check out the limitation of each of every vehicle you consider. Everything from gas mileage to tow capacity to hitch load - all numbers are important!! Our Armada had a 9,000 lb. tow capacity - more than most SUVs we considered. We've pulled our AS through six states the first year and averaged between 12 and 13 mpg. Unhitched, we averaged between 18 and 19 - satisfactory to us - better than most. WIth the seats folded down, we've been able to haul everything we've needed and carpeted, it's been easy to clean up. It pulls like a dream, the smaller brakes are noticeable, but with trailer brakes, they work fine. You NEVER forget you've got about three tons inches behind the Armada - it takes more room to turn, start, and stop but its all so very manageable. We've driven it through towns, villages and busy cities - all without
incident. Through the mountains of Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia it had followed us like a dream and we've found it very easy to forget it is behind us. Backing it has been a simple chore. Make sure that when you look at vehicles, make sure it is equipped with a tow package. That will give you necessary reinforcements and adjust the tranny so it doesn't shift constantly when going through the villages, towns and cities. The other number to pay CLOSE attention to is the wheelbase. Check out the formula to make sure you have enough TV for your size AS. I think my Armada is a couple inches short of the formula figure, but close enough I figure. It is large enough for my 25' but if I had anything any larger, I would definitely have a larger TV due to weight, wheelbase and all other numbers.

Good luck with your search. We couldn't be happier with any other vehicle - we love our Armada. We were sitting in a campground next to another trailer talking with the other folks and he looked at the Armada and said, "Now that looks like a man's truck." Had to laugh - don't see too many of them around and it surprises me because we think it is the perfect vehicle. Happy 'streaming!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #25
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
lake lure , North Carolina
To Rbolton,Newroswel and Pilgrem..Thanks It really was the Armada I was leaning towards,but now not so sure as I want to have something able to tow either 25-28. Ok , I admit, dont know anything about a Hemi Or a 3/4 ton other than they are powerful,sooo how do they compare? which is better? I love the Suburban but its a little long for my everyday car. I also have a 1/2 ton gmc savana van. so do not want to get a 3/4 ton... what ever tv I get has to be my regular car also... But just for my information...you guys are saying my 1/2 ton van could pull a 25 footer?? Its old 97 with 125k mi. I use it only to do art festivals. Thanks again,gail
Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Ok , I admit, dont know anything about a Hemi Or a 3/4 ton other than they are powerful,sooo how do they compare? which is better?
Gail, They don't compare. A HEMI is a powerful V-8 engine and "3/4 ton" indicates a heavy duty chassis configuration.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We also became Airstream owners last yr. Had a Envoy Denali that after crunchy some numbers decided was to small for the Airstream. An SUV was number 1 criteria, so after much reading, found a used Infiniti QX56 that has been great. We have put about 3,000 miles on towing and could not be happier.

Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #28
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Thanks It really was the Armada I was leaning towards,but now not so sure as I want to have something able to tow either 25-28.
I love my Titan, but not because it is a good tow vehicle. Of the big 5 (GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan) truck makers, it's more of a Sports Truck. When I bought it in 2007, I was sure I would never tow anything with it. I've spent far too much time in the titantalk forums the last two years, and the two huge reoccurring problems are differential failures and brake problems.

It's been great since I bought it, and we've had the airstream out 3 times with 4 more trips planned in the next 2 months.

If you are looking to buy something, go to the local blue or orange home improvement store parking lot, look for the one or two Titans/Armadas, squat down and look at the differential in the back (round thing between the two rear wheels). All the trucks power goes right through that to the wheels. It's the size of a soccer ball. Now find a Tundra, it's going to be a little bigger. All the other trucks are going to be Chevy, Ford and Dodge, look at those, they'll be huge in comparison.

Crude way to judge a vehicle, I know, and certainly not the only way to select one.