Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Welcome....oh boy do you have a LOT of reading to do.

Or; just get yourself a 3/4ton Burb (or Excursion) and save yourself some trouble...

Welcome, again, proceed cautiously.

Bill
Wondering what you mean??? I have been doing alot of reading, thats why I have alot of questions Did my questions sound stupid??
stormywx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormywx View Post
Wondering what you mean??? I have been doing alot of reading, thats why I have alot of questions Did my questions sound stupid??
Probably your question comparing HEMI's to 3/4 tons prompted the remark or the fact that this type question just always generates a lot of responses and differing view points that will provide "a lot of reading."

I am surprised that no one has suggested that you select the trailer you want first. Doing so will narrow the search for the "perfect" tow vehicle (which by the way does not exist.) For instance - If you end up with a 34 footer, you'll probably want to stay away from the Durango/Aspen but if you land a 25'er, it might be OK.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
We've towed our 31' Sovereign almost 40,000 miles over the past four years with a 2004 Nissan Titan (essentially the same frame/powertrain as the Armada) with no problems.
The Armada is going to have an Independent Rear Suspension, not a solid axle like our Titans. Check the tow specifications closely if you go that route. The brakes got bigger in 2008, I feel they're still too small for serious towing in the hills.

Kevin
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Last year was our first year of towing. We didn't know one anything from another anything so we did a lot of stumbling around in the dark. Good for you for asking, seeking, questioning. We ended up with a 25' International, 2007. Before we purchased the AS, we had found a 2004 Nissan Armada. We had looked at a lot of SUVs and found many of them had a fairly limited tow capacity. Watch the numbers! Check out the limitation of each of every vehicle you consider. Everything from gas mileage to tow capacity to hitch load - all numbers are important!! Our Armada had a 9,000 lb. tow capacity - more than most SUVs we considered. We've pulled our AS through six states the first year and averaged between 12 and 13 mpg. Unhitched, we averaged between 18 and 19 - satisfactory to us - better than most. WIth the seats folded down, we've been able to haul everything we've needed and carpeted, it's been easy to clean up. It pulls like a dream, the smaller brakes are noticeable, but with trailer brakes, they work fine. You NEVER forget you've got about three tons inches behind the Armada - it takes more room to turn, start, and stop but its all so very manageable. We've driven it through towns, villages and busy cities - all without
incident. Through the mountains of Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia it had followed us like a dream and we've found it very easy to forget it is behind us. Backing it has been a simple chore. Make sure that when you look at vehicles, make sure it is equipped with a tow package. That will give you necessary reinforcements and adjust the tranny so it doesn't shift constantly when going through the villages, towns and cities. The other number to pay CLOSE attention to is the wheelbase. Check out the formula to make sure you have enough TV for your size AS. I think my Armada is a couple inches short of the formula figure, but close enough I figure. It is large enough for my 25' but if I had anything any larger, I would definitely have a larger TV due to weight, wheelbase and all other numbers.

Good luck with your search. We couldn't be happier with any other vehicle - we love our Armada. We were sitting in a campground next to another trailer talking with the other folks and he looked at the Armada and said, "Now that looks like a man's truck." Had to laugh - don't see too many of them around and it surprises me because we think it is the perfect vehicle. Happy 'streaming!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #25
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
Sarasota , Florida
To Rbolton,Newroswel and Pilgrem..Thanks It really was the Armada I was leaning towards,but now not so sure as I want to have something able to tow either 25-28. Ok , I admit, dont know anything about a Hemi Or a 3/4 ton other than they are powerful,sooo how do they compare? which is better? I love the Suburban but its a little long for my everyday car. I also have a 1/2 ton gmc savana van. so do not want to get a 3/4 ton... what ever tv I get has to be my regular car also... But just for my information...you guys are saying my 1/2 ton van could pull a 25 footer?? Its old 97 with 125k mi. I use it only to do art festivals. Thanks again,gail
Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Ok , I admit, dont know anything about a Hemi Or a 3/4 ton other than they are powerful,sooo how do they compare? which is better?
Gail, They don't compare. A HEMI is a powerful V-8 engine and "3/4 ton" indicates a heavy duty chassis configuration.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #27
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We also became Airstream owners last yr. Had a Envoy Denali that after crunchy some numbers decided was to small for the Airstream. An SUV was number 1 criteria, so after much reading, found a used Infiniti QX56 that has been great. We have put about 3,000 miles on towing and could not be happier.

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #28
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Thanks It really was the Armada I was leaning towards,but now not so sure as I want to have something able to tow either 25-28.
I love my Titan, but not because it is a good tow vehicle. Of the big 5 (GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan) truck makers, it's more of a Sports Truck. When I bought it in 2007, I was sure I would never tow anything with it. I've spent far too much time in the titantalk forums the last two years, and the two huge reoccurring problems are differential failures and brake problems.

It's been great since I bought it, and we've had the airstream out 3 times with 4 more trips planned in the next 2 months.

If you are looking to buy something, go to the local blue or orange home improvement store parking lot, look for the one or two Titans/Armadas, squat down and look at the differential in the back (round thing between the two rear wheels). All the trucks power goes right through that to the wheels. It's the size of a soccer ball. Now find a Tundra, it's going to be a little bigger. All the other trucks are going to be Chevy, Ford and Dodge, look at those, they'll be huge in comparison.

Crude way to judge a vehicle, I know, and certainly not the only way to select one.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Crude way to judge a vehicle, I know, and certainly not the only way to select one.
Excellent point actually. The larger the differential, the better it dissipates heat. When towing, heat is your biggest enemy. The hotter a part of your tow vehicle runs, the more likely it is to fail.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We pull our 28 ft Ambassador with a 2001 Excursion Limited, 4x4, V-10...we looked around and waited till we found what we wanted...

These big SUV's are dirt cheap these days, and you can find some great deals out there - the auto dealers don't give 'squat' for these at trade-in time, so you can take advantage of a great TV at a modest price!

We wanted the V-10 engine, and most Excursions were loaded with options when sold new (up to 2005). Ours had about 115K miles on the 'clock', and runs like 'new'...check em' out...Ford also has just about the best side mirrors as standard equipment on these models!

This SUV pulls the AS without any problems - and I like the idea that the TV is a heavy, stable platform for towing...plus we have lots of room for our stuff inside it's lockable cabin...I've added a front hitch receiver so I can maneuver the AS into a tight spot if needed...

We get just under 10 MPG average, when towing the AS...when we're towing at about 55 MPH, on the level, resetting the computer shows that the MPG runs about 12...starting and stopping accounts for the lower overall average, of course.

Good luck in your search...
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well here is another country heard from.Let me tell you,U said something about stupid questions.The only stupid questions are the ones you DON'T ASK.
I'm with the majority here I think,when I say if you are sure you will windup with anything over 25 ft I'd go with anything 3/4 ton BURB /2500 series/F250 any Brand, Choose what has the features you like.
These things are a dime a dozen and a pain in the rear to dealers.So with the economic times the way they are THEY WILL Wheel and Deal.
Our/my personal preference was a 1ton Single Wheel CrewCab(4dr) longbed.When hooked up and ready to roll, the rig weights in at 13,800 lbs.We travel with 3 small dogs and have plenty of room.
Our fuel mileage is 17 towing and 20 when not,highway mileage of course.
ITS a 7.3 liter diesel with 3:73 ratio rear gears. We get a great ride.
GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide. There are lots of experiences here so weight them and buy more than you will need to do the job. We have no regrets with our truck.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #32
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
Sarasota , Florida
Hello again, Well, We made the leap!!! Bought the Airstream and the TV !!! Packing all the "stuff" and getting ready for a short trip next week to a local RV park that caters to dogs... cant wait . We have it parked outside our house at the moment and have already had the neighbors over for "cocktails in the "Silver Clipper Lounge"!!! Thanks for all the advice and thoughts... I think we made a good decision... Hope we see some of you on the road!!! See Ya, Gail, John ..dogs Zeke,Danny and parrot , Cairo.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
Stormywx

1985 25' Sovereign
Sarasota , Florida
Oh Yea..... The TV..... 2002 Ford Excursion! and a Beauty !