Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
well I contacted Andy, Very knowledgeable!
He recently had a customer with an LR4 he put a hensley hitch
on and the customer is towing a 30' classic and has absolutely no
issues. I asked him if I was better off getting a lighter model like the sport 22'.
He said it wouldn't matter he would add the hitch regardless since
the factory installed hitch is junk.
Now I just have to decide wether I want to become an RV owner
like the rest of my border collie friends or continue staying
at hotels with my dogs. Most of the hotels charge $75 a night fee
extra for a pet and the rooms are uncomfortable, plus you have to drive to where the sheep herding trials are being held from your hotel.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"Now I just have to decide wether I want to become an RV owner
like the rest of my border collie friends or continue staying
at hotels with my dogs. Most of the hotels charge $75 a night fee
extra for a pet and the rooms are uncomfortable, plus you have to drive to where the sheep herding trials are being held from your hotel."

Go with the trailer...it's much more fun.
Exactly how we started. Water Trials & Conformation.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FADO & BOB.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	153181   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 121.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	937.8 KB
ID:	153182  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

"wheel base crap"

Echo,

This will be my last post ever on Air Forums. I understood that the forum was to help people with problems or make suggestions that would help them enjoy their Airstream to the fullest. When Wally took groups they would have "bull sessions" as he called it to go over new ideas and work on problems together.
As for me giving you advice that you asked for, I was really trying to keep you safe and hopefully make your time behind the wheel more enjoyable and not a "nail biter" because your towing combination was difficult or dangerous for you.
So you posters understand I'm not just talking out of my ass here I have been a Professional Truck fleet manager for over 30 years. I have controlled as many 275 trucks trailers, bobtail trucks and aircraft at one time. I have operated Logistics in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan to deliver pre-fab schools to places that we used donkeys to deliver the loads. My professional specialty is custom spec at the factory level for heavy duty trucks, in other words you tell me what the job is and I build blueprint on paper for the truck to do that job...right down to the type of grease in the hubs. I hold a commercial truck driving license for over 30 years ticket and accident free.

I know what I'm talking about, and to have some Jackass spit out
" I really dont believe in that wheel base crap" undermines what the basis for the whole forum is about. Starcraft is towing with a Liberty and a 16ft trailer, hardly the knowlege base your question is needing. Some people just like to run their mouth reckless, frankly I dont need it.
Happy Trails,
Patrick
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Hey Echo,

Did Andy say anything about replacing the hitch receiver (you know, that little chunk of metal that Land Rover sells that slots up into the bottom of the bumper)? I too have an LR3 and would like to be able to tow my 25' Eddie Bauer with it (I use a Suburban right now). It's always seemed a little flimsy to me but if Andy's had good luck with it combined with a Hensley...

What does he do for a brake controller? Does he add extra engine or transmission cooling?

P.S.: Don't let the guy above get to you.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by isteer123 View Post
Echo,

This will be my last post ever on Air Forums. I understood that the forum was to help people with problems or make suggestions that would help them enjoy their Airstream to the fullest. When Wally took groups they would have "bull sessions" as he called it to go over new ideas and work on problems together.
As for me giving you advice that you asked for, I was really trying to keep you safe and hopefully make your time behind the wheel more enjoyable and not a "nail biter" because your towing combination was difficult or dangerous for you.
So you posters understand I'm not just talking out of my ass here I have been a Professional Truck fleet manager for over 30 years. I have controlled as many 275 trucks trailers, bobtail trucks and aircraft at one time. I have operated Logistics in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan to deliver pre-fab schools to places that we used donkeys to deliver the loads. My professional specialty is custom spec at the factory level for heavy duty trucks, in other words you tell me what the job is and I build blueprint on paper for the truck to do that job...right down to the type of grease in the hubs. I hold a commercial truck driving license for over 30 years ticket and accident free.

I know what I'm talking about, and to have some Jackass spit out
" I really dont believe in that wheel base crap" undermines what the basis for the whole forum is about. Starcraft is towing with a Liberty and a 16ft trailer, hardly the knowlege base your question is needing. Some people just like to run their mouth reckless, frankly I dont need it.
Happy Trails,
Patrick
Hi, don't give up because some people have different experiences and opinions. It's OK. Your experience reminds me of this. [picture below]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6095RS.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	153251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6090RS.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	153252  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
echo, experience dosen't trump others' lack of same.

Stick around your skin will get thicker over time, all you can do is offer an opinion, if others won't accept it, so be it.

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
If you decide on the Airstream, you will love it! Mine is still in storage and can't wait to get it out and use it this spring. We actually bought ours so we could take our 3 extra large dogs with us. Haven't found a hotel that would let my pack stay as of yet. . Good luck with whatever you decide! But if you decide to purchase one, please post pics.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Hey Echo,

Did Andy say anything about replacing the hitch receiver (you know, that little chunk of metal that Land Rover sells that slots up into the bottom of the bumper)? I too have an LR3 and would like to be able to tow my 25' Eddie Bauer with it (I use a Suburban right now). It's always seemed a little flimsy to me but if Andy's had good luck with it combined with a Hensley...

What does he do for a brake controller? Does he add extra engine or transmission cooling?

P.S.: Don't let the guy above get to you.
I think he said he would replace it. He said that was the main issue with the
LR4, He thought the suspension was actually better than some trucks.
The engine is pretty powerful so that should not be an issue. The only debate
left is the Weight distribution hitch is not recommended by land rover.
Andy says this is not a problem with the vehicle others say the manufacturer
knows best. Kind of leaves me in a dilemma. I guess I can always by helium
balloons and attach them to the As to help decrease the weight .
Again Andy seems to have a lot of experience and knowledge. I did ask him if I would be better off with a smaller lighter AS like the 22' sport and he
said he would still not use the Land rovers stock hitch. Also stated this is not just an issue with Land Rovers! He has seem many problems as well on other heavy duty vehicles. Let me know what you decide to do I am going looking today.

As for the post above I actually appreciate the concerns of others on this forum! People are just giving advice to keep us safe. If it wasn't for that poster
I might not have done the research and just let anyone install a hitch. Now
I realize its a big deal to make sure you get the right hitch and its installed by someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Andy often replaces OEM hitches, or at the very least reinforces them. He just set up my new-to-me Traverse for towing. Since it didn't come with the tow package Can-Am installed a Class III Hidden Hitch, then welded on two additional triangular supports that run up under the centre of the vehicle and bolt onto the "chassie". The spare tire had to be removed then remounted and as a result it sits a little lower than factory. The additional supports distributes the hitch/towing forces across the Traverses's unibody construction, which is very strong to begin with due to the way it's manufactured.

Anyway, a strong and rigid hitch is just the first step to ensuring a solid, good handling rig.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
As for the post above I actually appreciate the concerns of others on this forum! People are just giving advice to keep us safe. If it wasn't for that poster
I might not have done the research and just let anyone install a hitch. Now
I realize its a big deal to make sure you get the right hitch and its installed by someone who knows what they are doing!
There are RV folks out there and on this forum that have been researching and towing for most of their lives and they still have marginal combinations that are less than optimal. You made the connection with Andy. You are one of the lucky ones. You have the ball. Carry on to the goal line for the touchdown.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Backing up what others have said, Andy added a couple of bits of extra steel to the Hidden Hitch unit that's made for my minivan. It strengthens the hitch and helps transfer the weight forward when the weight distribution system is loaded. That, and a few other modifications, make a stable and very capable towing platform out of a vehicle that the manufacturer rates very low for towing. Of course, this approach doesn't please everyone, and that's fine, but Andy's setups really work and he has much evidence to support his approach.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
shut your pie hole

wiesster What are you a know it all! I am learn it all and always open to learning new things. I trust very very few professionals! Just so I am aware exactly what grand information have you provided. Have you towed with Land Rover like poster is asking about. It is newer model and I have seen them running around look pretty stout. Maybe you have this vehicle confused with little rav4 looking model that is fit to tow 1 jet ski. Ok did some reading back mention wagging the dog. Yes you are correct and only solution is to drive 30 foot truck lol, no one has that option.

Here is picture of vehicle in question for anyone wondering.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...a&fr=yfp-t-504
Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The spec's say the LR4 with towing package is good for 7700lbs. It weighs 5600lbs itself, and a GVW of 7100lbs, so you've got 1500lbs of payload (and trailer hitch weight) to play with. 4 people and their crap is easily 1000lbs, so you need to keep the tongue weight less than 500lbs. Anyway, all these specs add up to being right on the edge of what a 25' Airstream is going to give you... but it's doable.

As far as who is wagging what... your LR4 is about 9 inches less wheelbase than my Sequioa... but otherwise pretty close in specifications. Lots of people tow 25's with Sequioas, Tahoes, Cherokees... Pulling a big trailer requires a big change in driving, no matter what you have for a tow vehicle. You can easily double the weight your motor is pulling, and even with trailer brakes the extra load on the vehicle is huge.

Whatever you go with, just take your time and relax. A lot of these crazy problems people are trying to solve come with trying to pull down the interstate at 85mph and act all surprised when their trailer flies off the road.

You can have a lot of fun and not piss too many people off enjoying a nice 55mph cruise.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
echo44,

I hope you have gained from these responses to your post. Please do post a follow up, so we can all learn from your experience. Reports of actual results are of great value.

Interesting how the tow vehicle, hitch, towing topic can stir up such interest in this and other forums. Also it is one of several topics on which opinions are held strongly!

Cheers,

Charlie