Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
HA HA HA

I think it was fairly expensive...around $50-60k (US). I don't know what it would cost if you already had the burb and just wante the conversion.
Man, if I float those numbers past her I'll lose more than my keyboard privileges ........I lost the hair a long time ago (can't even remember over what now it's been so long) so who knows what it would be now.

It is very intriguing though, other than the issue I've raised in another post here about the smell/cleanliness issue. I do believe that diesel will be a viable alternative for smaller vehicles in the not too distant future.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Cost disadvantage of Diesel engines

The article craftsman quoted
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Interesting read. Diesel Cars in the US
I regularly hear and read claims ... ... diesels.
8:24 PM
lists and explains a lot of the inherent problemes in trying to make diesel engines more popular.
However, I would like to add one aspect to it:
Gas-engines (at least the ones of the "american iron type" with pushrods, 2-valve-heads, regular-non-adjusting camshafts etc.) are cheaper than diesels (which have to apply expensive technology in order to meet emission control regulations)

True.

But:
I think the picture would be different, if "emissions" would include a larger portion of all the emissions a vehicle generates (may be even evaluating a "typical" life cycle of the product) - e.g. carbon dioxide (equivalent of the amount of fuel burned).
If CO2 would be part of the equation - and it clearly is an (harmful) emission - the gas engine would be evaluated in a more fair way:
It would then have to meet tougher, yet fairer standards that ultimately require the reduction of fuel consumption.
A good example are electric hybrids: potentially effectiv (when applied in a lot of stop-and-go traffic) but expensive - similar to an diesel

Long story short:
Emissions control regulations are not really fair to the diesel (IMHO)
I would like to include CO2 into the view while keeping up the established high standards:
Et Voilá - a much more even race

Finally one question to the potential customers in the US:
Would you require the "new small diesel" to be a V8?
I think a V6 would be cheaper and at this size perfectly fine, right?!
No?!
Comments pls...

Greez

Martin,
happily driving a 2300 lbs AUDI 1.4 ltr TDI
(@ approx 110 SAE hp or 90 DIN hp and 50mpg ) as a daily commuter (not pulling a AS of course - and not, yet, meeting future california emission regulations )
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #63
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
There is a place north of here in Canada that will install the DuraMax/Allison set up for $18,000 Canadian (which is about the same as US now)

I would guess they'd do a Suburban for the about the same jingle.
It's a bit different issue installing in a Suburban than it would be in a truck. There are several modifications that need to happen, like frame extension and body lift to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Just saw one Friday.
The windows were down but I do not think the guy driving it was lacking any headroom from it being crushed.
I see them, about one or two a week here.
Of course, I am right down the road from the GM Tech Center. My transmission plant is only three miles from it.
We do get to see nifty new models running around, all covered in black padding too! That is when you
That is pretty amazing to me because GM said that the recalled all of them and crushed them. In addition, I also watched the movie who killed the electric car which also appeared to indicate the exact same thing. If there are a few zipping around the Detriot area, hope no one else finds out...it would be yet another black eye for GM given the arrogance and all that followed the end of the EV1.

If you see any more, grab a pic or two and post it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Hey Safari 57,
My wife drives a VW Jetta TDI for the past 7 years. No obnoxious fuel smell with the diesel car in the attached garage but...... you get a whiff of diesel smell through the vents when sitting at a stop light. I can handle a little bit of smell at 45 mpg
Car starts in any weather and runs like a scalded dog but..... this car has a few quirks that are better left fixed by the owner and not the dealer.
Apparently you can't buy these cars new in California due to emissions regulations. From what I understand people have to buy them "used" and bring them into California. Our gov't keeps us from getting more fuel efficient cars.... that's a whole different topic/thread.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
That is pretty amazing to me because GM said that the recalled all of them and crushed them. In addition, I also watched the movie who killed the electric car which also appeared to indicate the exact same thing. If there are a few zipping around the Detriot area, hope no one else finds out...it would be yet another black eye for GM given the arrogance and all that followed the end of the EV1.

If you see any more, grab a pic or two and post it.
I see them two to three a week.
I don't know what you mean about "arrogance". Contrary to popular belief on here, GM did not set out to have the EV1 project fail. Like I said, I am familiar with this project. If there is anyone else on here who is, then please feel free to speak up.
I also cannot fathom what you mean by "another black eye for GM". I can see that, with all the misinformation found on the web, that I can go nowhere here. If any of you would read the replies to the original article posted you will see that there are two engineers from Troy, MI, (right next door to Warren, MI) that commented on seeing them coming and going all day long.
I will try to get pictures. They are still on the road and they are not sporting Manufacturers license plates.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Yes the Suburban conversion would be a bit more labor intensive than going into a truck. The trucks have to be lifted as well to accept the DuraMax set up. Bet he'd do a Suburban for not much more. Just a thought. I seriously considered it before putting in a new long block in my 1 ton Chevy dually.

As to the emission issues with diesel vs gasoline......... If you factor in the additional pollution caused by refining oil from the diesel stage to gasoline there is probably a load of crap that goes into the atmosphere.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes

I don't know what your seeing but I can't find a reference anywhere on the web that says anything but all EV1's were returned and destroyed.This must be one of the biggest of the urban myths. Can all these sources be wrong? Can you provide one reference to any of these cars ending up in private hands? I don't necessarly believe EVERYTHING that I read but everything that I read about this car say's none survived as private transportation.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #68
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman

I don't know what your seeing but I can't find a reference anywhere on the web that says anything but all EV1's were returned and destroyed.This must be one of the biggest of the urban myths. Can all these sources be wrong? Can you provide one reference to any of these cars ending up in private hands? I don't necessarly believe EVERYTHING that I read but everything that I read about this car say's none survived as private transportation.
Pretty much sums up all that I read as well. Sent you a PM pattersontoo
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
What a coincidence, "Who Killed the Electric Car" is on one of the Starz movie channels (SCINE) at 7:20 CST. Go figure.........
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote