Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
'65 Caravel 17'

2001 34' Limited
1965 17' Caravel
Lufkin , Texas
Hit by Lightning

My truck was hit by lightning while driving on I-40 near Lebanon, TN on June 23. I was towing a 34' Excella wide body 2001 trailer. The lightning struck the radio antenna. I was able to get a wrecker with the help of a Trooper.
We had reservations at the Countryside Resort between Lebanon and Nashville. The truck is covered by comprehensive insurance with State Farm. With a $50 deductible, the estimate is now over $6200. After a week of working with the insurance and the GMC dealership, the dealership loaned us a car to drive on to Texas at no charge. Rockie Williams Premier GMC/Pontiac/Cadilac in Lebanon and the RV resort have really worked to help us out. Estimates are that the lightning took out 8-9 major components and the main computer. Repair time will be two to three weeks at the earliest with the procedure of replacement and trouble shooting that has to be done.
We are now in Texas and will drive back as soon as the truck is ready.
A vehicle is a good place to be in a lightning storm.
jlovelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Wow!

I'm glad you are OK. So glad to hear everyone has been helpful to you. Hang in there, Praise God you were spared physical injury!
Roadschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Glad you were OK and that by all appearances, you are being treated well by your dealership.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Good to hear the wheels of progress are turning and that no one was hurt. I have a thread (Lightning storm question) regarding lightning strikes in an A/S. It has some pretty good posts made by people way smarter than me. Was your Excella hurt?

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I see that you have the same truck I do, an '01 2500hd with 8.1 engine. I love my truck and sure would hate to see it struck by lightning. Hope everything is fixed to your liking.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
What damage did your vehicle recieve from the lightning damage? I imagine it may have taken out the electronics, and did some body damage.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Darn close call!!!

Hope all goes well with the repair...if you need help when your back in Nashville, drop me a note. I'll do what I can.

Bill
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoffe
What damage did your vehicle recieve from the lightning damage? I imagine it may have taken out the electronics, and did some body damage.

Sam
Oops. Some times I wish I could delete my previous post, try not to look to much like a dope. I should have read the account more closely.
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
'65 Caravel 17'

2001 34' Limited
1965 17' Caravel
Lufkin , Texas
Thanks to all for your concern.
My 34' Airstream was not damaged as everything worked okay in the RV park over the next few days.
It has been determined by the adjuster that it was a proximity strike that hit the ground very near the truck and some of it entered at the end of the radio aerial. No body damage on the truck.

The computer modules are being replaced two or three at at time until something works. It may take another two weeks to resolve this issue.
Thanks Jim
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
'65 Caravel 17'

2001 34' Limited
1965 17' Caravel
Lufkin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63
Good to hear the wheels of progress are turning and that no one was hurt. I have a thread (Lightning storm question) regarding lightning strikes in an A/S. It has some pretty good posts made by people way smarter than me. Was your Excella hurt?
Thanks to all for your concern.
My 34' Airstream was not damaged as everything worked okay in the RV park over the next few days.
It has been determined by the adjuster that it was a proximity strike that hit the ground very near the truck and some of it entered at the end of the radio aerial. No body damage on the truck.

The computer modules are being replaced two or three at at time until something works. It may take another two weeks to resolve this issue.
Thanks Jim