Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
I expect to be buying a 2017 or 2018 Int'l Sig 25 FB next year. I will be towing it with a 2007 F-150 Supercrew Lariat (5.6 L) with 140,000 miles in good condition for its age like its owner. I expect the vehicle to get some use when not towing.

Time to replace my tires. My question is whether to replace the tires with Michelin Defenders (which are highway all season) or Michelin LTX (All-Terrain On/Off Road tires). We live in PA where we do get snow but I rarely if ever go off-roading. We do intend to take the trailer to Big Sky country in the early fall and late spring.

Better to get the All-Season or All Terrain? The Tire Rack analysis shows that the Highway All Season are better in the snow but I doubt that is the case when we get a foot of snow. Any thoughts? Thank you.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thank you sir, that was what I was asking.

I used the M/S vs. the A/S on my old SOB Class B, had great traction in muddy / wet RV park's.

This recommendation of the 700 comes from commercial operators of my acquaintance. Oilfield.

I saw 120k miles on the OEM set of LTX A/S at 4/32 remaining. 50/50 town/country. And not cheap with $1200 replacement cost. They'll last, but I'm concerned at your extra low miles on those OEM tires. Consistent with other owners? Even treadwear across face?

The A/S is a closed shoulder highway rib tire. The M/S is open shoulder meaning lower MPG. In my careful use it is about 1-1.25/mpg lower on the annual average. The traction improvement is worthwhile, overall.

The 700 commercial traction series Duravis won't help MPG. But the design is better than the boy toy tires favored by too many, and in longevity. I'll use them solely on the rear of my 2WD.

Like the Michelins they should also balance with zero weights, or close. I use Centramatic balancers on the truck rear (interference with caliper on front)

When I finally get around to it, the 250 series is what I'll put on this 9000-lb GVW Silver Streak.

Bridgestone is much my preferred tire in Class 8 trucks.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Need tires for '16 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I think a more frequent rotation schedule might be prudent, but not because of engine weight. I think the significantly higher torque coming out on the rear tires is going to have a higher effect on wear.
I might rotate at 25-30k miles. Or not. I annually measure tires with tread depth gauge across tire face at four points.

Pressure according to load (measured), and best driving habits mean most. My guess would be that driving this like a car is the biggest screwup. Brakes still on when starting a turn; too high a speed in curves, etc.

"Keeping up" with car traffic is low IQ. Can't brake or handle as well as an Accord. Same for the half ton softball daddies. Better habits pay dividends.

Rapid wear means investigation needed. By rapid I'd mean anything less than 70k miles from a set. Same for brake linings.

My second set of tires -- measured by tread wear -- was on track to safely take me out to 250k miles on the truck. Two sets of tires to cover a quarter million miles. But a defect caused all to fail and Michelin replaced them for less than half price at 72k miles.

It isn't that all other owners will achieve these miles. But my experience is not unique. It is that it is possible with best quality tires under the right conditions.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Go with the Michelin Man!

I have a new Ram 3500 on order, should take delivery next week? When I started looking at new trucks and pretty much decided on the Ram, the first thing that I told the Dealer was that as soon as he took delivery of my truck was that he take the "junk" Firestoned's off and install Michelin Defender LTX tires. This will be my second vehicle with this tire and I love them! They cost about $100.00 more per tire than the Firestoned's do and are worth every cent!!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
This recommendation of the 700 comes from commercial operators of my acquaintance. Oilfield.

I saw 120k miles on the OEM set of LTX A/S at 4/32 remaining. 50/50 town/country. And not cheap with $1200 replacement cost. They'll last, but I'm concerned at your extra low miles on those OEM tires. Consistent with other owners? Even treadwear across face?

Yes, even wear across the tread face, as measured by my mechanical tread gauge tool.

Based on wear, I seem to be about average for these Firestone tires, at least going by the comments on the Cummins forums.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thx. Didn't realize RAM installed such a lousy tire on 4th Gen trucks.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Old 11-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Thx. Didn't realize RAM installed such a lousy tire on 4th Gen trucks.
1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Yes......and the spare on the 2500s is a highway tire mounted on a stamped steel wheel. Not enough room to put a proper wheel and tire.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Yes......and the spare on the 2500s is a highway tire mounted on a stamped steel wheel. Not enough room to put a proper wheel and tire.

Steel wheel came with mine. But same OEM Michelin (LTX A/S) when built 08/03.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins