Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #81
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44
Hi I am a newbee
just found this post,
I have an LR4 and two border collies looking for an airstream
to take with us to sheep herding trials.
I was thinking about getting a cloud 25' with black leather
(good for the dogs) than my dream got smashed when I found the
hitch weight capacity is only 550lbs
The cloud hitch weight is 835lbs. On another post people have said
to use wds hitch. However the LR4 in the manual say not to use one.
I am concerned if I use one and get in an accident i will be sol with the
insurance company. any ideas?
I guess another option is to go with a flying cloud 23' FB which has
a much lighter hitch weight? or a 22FB sport even lighter
than I give up the dream of the 25' cloud. I also looked at the interstate
but they are too expensive and have very little room.
I do love my LR4 it is a very comfortable car has been reliable other than minor maintance issues covered under warranty.
My experience based on the research i did is not only is the weight a issue, the wheelbase on the LR4 may be too short to pull a 25 foot as you end up having the tail wag the dog. Others may have more to contribute but if you go this way you may wish to install a sway control hitch from Pro Pride, which will make all the difference.
We ended up getting a F250 as was uncomfortable with the weight and the wheelbase issue. Have more conversations with your Airstream Dealer Service Department as they may have proven alternatives. Best of Luck
Brian - BDE
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
I'll just add my towing experience with a 2005 LR3. I do not have an airstream however have towed owned and towed over the last 6 years have owned and towed a toy hauler popup, a 3,800# 21' hard side, and now a 25' 5,000# Lance travel trailer. I also use my Rover for offload adventuring so it is set up with sliders larger tires and a winch hidden in the front bumper. My newest trailer when fully set up for camping weighed in at 5'100# and I had a hitch weight of 540#. I use a Sherline tongue scale to check it out every now and then.

I am I also using the new Anderson weight distribution hitch with this setup and it has been a incredibly easy to set up and the performance was has been great so far. Last weekend I towed on two days with wind advisories of 30 to 50 mph gusts and it towed like an arrow. Adding the weight distribution also moves some weight back to the front tires as well as helps with the bounce that you get between trailer and tow vehicle.

One of the best features of this hitch for the Land Rover platform is that it only weighs in at #50 instead of the 80# to 100# of some of the other WDH setups.

I will say that I am sure there are better towing platforms but none that will allow me to adventure like I do with mine once I get there
Craiglud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCanada View Post
This is a bit late to the game, but hopefully will clear up some of the confusion...

My truck - it's a Land Rover LR4 - pretty much the same as an LR3 with more horsepower, and a smoother torque curve. The tow ratings are identical.

The difference between the two ratings for the hitch:
The 550 lbs limit is for dead weight on the tongue.
The 770 lbs limit if what the removeable receiver is capable of.

Go by the tongue weight of 550 lbs, not the 770 lbs.

Ok, so it says in the manual that a weight distribution hitch is not recommended.

It's a European thing.. They don't allow them typically, depending on what country you're in, so they discourage them for a variety of reasons.

Yes they will work fine, and yes you can exceed the 550 lb limit on the dead tongue weight by using one.

In practice, you should be able to get ~1100lbs using a good quality weight distribution hitch.. Of course, you're going your own way here, but experience has told me that there's no problem - as long as you are smart about how you drive, keep the speed down, etc. YMMV

For a weight hitch, I highly recommend the Hensley Arrow with sway control and their TruControl Gold brake controller.

I've got 950 lbs (weight distributed) on the tongue, and am towing 7400 lbs (loaded) for my trailer - a 36' Wildwood Heritage Glen 312 QBUD.

No problems, tows straight as an arrow (no pun intended). Never had any issues with the removeable hitch receiver...

However, I am a very safe driver and follow the rules of thumb at all times. (ie. DO NOT try to tow this much weight in high range if driving under 15 mph for extended periods (like making your way through a child-infested trailer park), etc..)
Don, wondering if you are still around and can give an update on how the Hensley Arrow is working with your setup? I love that hitch and almost bought one except for the weight of the hitch setup. -Craig
Craiglud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #84
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Hi, Folks:
I have owned MANY land rovers from NAS D90- NAS D110, RR Classic, DI, DII, P 38 RR, MKIII RR, and even some Series IIA's, but now that we are looking at a 25' EB AS, I am now worried about the LR3 with a Curt hitch on Kaymar rear bumper.

It isn't just the weight, even though it is a concern as my truck is loaded with weight from off-road gear, but I am worried about stability, stress on the truck (already lifted with Johnson Roads, and 33" tires). Considering an F250, but when you have been a rover guy, it is a HARD decision. Bottom line, I have two kids that are more important for the love of the green oval. So a switch to the blue oval may be in order.

Here is a pic of the truck with our previous trailer.

[/URL][/IMG]
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:38 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrover View Post
Hi, Folks:
"Considering an F250, but when you have been a rover guy, it is a HARD decision. Bottom line, I have two kids that are more important for the love of the green oval. So a switch to the blue oval may be in order."
IMHO, it seems to me that you have already made the decision. If you were to have a serious roll-over accident with your rig, and you were towing with the LR3, you would never forgive yourself for not following your concerns to their conclusion. If you had a similar accident when towing with the F250, at least you would know that you had chosen a proven suitable tow truck.

Whether or not the LR3 is a suitable tow vehicle for your trailer, and whether or not any accident might be caused by an unsuitable tow truck are not the true issues.

The true issue is that for your peace of mind you need a different tow truck.
I am speaking as one who has two children, six granddaughters, two great granddaughters, who has owned a Land Rover Discovery for 25 years, and who only tows his Airstream Excella 25 with a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9 diesel. I could roll down the highway with a cab full of kids, confident that I have a proven safe rig.

Nick.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #86
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
... my truck is loaded with weight from off-road gear, but I am worried about stability, stress on the truck (already lifted with Johnson Roads, and 33" tires).
As we discussed, your mods will only decrease the stability, dramatically in my opinion from experience, especially the ride height being taller than factory by 2".

What I hadn't really added up in my head was that your particular LR3, which most people on this forum will not be very familiar with, is already well near the factory spec limits for rear axle weight.

When you consider, if being honest, that the LR3 in pure stock form at it's lowest weight, is already barely "qualified" for the tongue weight and overall GVW, it's probably really not a good idea. If you could make yourself drive at no faster than 45 mph, then sure, but out on our interstates pushing 70+ and the big hills from where you are located, to get anywhere else...well, it sounds like pushing the limits right to the edge and likely beyond.

Add on top of that the higher TW for the darn 25' EB and it's just plain not going to be a fun time, not relaxing anyway. The TW is over 800 lbs. Your LR3 has an extra 200 lbs on the rear bumper already.

The other thing people often don't think about is the distance from the rear axle to the hitch point. On the LR3 and LR4, and Range Rovers, it's a long way. The vehicle is designed with as short a wheelbase as possible for better maneuvering off road but the Discovery has grown a long way in size from the D1 and even D2 so the rear overhang is pretty long compared to something like a Mercedes G with practically no overhang, relative to the wheelbase.

If you were considering something with a TW of more like 500 lbs, then it would be better, but even then for long trips, you already have all the extra steel on the lr3 using up pretty much all of the cargo load rating, which is part of how the TW rating is calculated.

Lastly, go on the other forum, expo, and see what amazing things can be done with either a full size pick up or.... the bigger suv platforms like a suburban or maybe even a Toyota Sequoia.

Hey, want something sweet like the LR3 but more tow rating and every bit as viable for that gnarly 4x4 trail near the state park campgrounds for day trips away from the AS? Maybe dig up towing experiences info on the Land Cruiser which, until some US guidelines were revised to be more conservative, had an 8500 lb (now 8200 lb) tow and 10% TW. This is partially due to the super built rear end design using a solid axle and steel springs with a normal high rated receiver built right into the last frame member.

True 33" are simple in stock form but 35" are possible with the mods like your lr3 has. KDSS provides really, really good highway manners while opening up in slow-mo for trail flex. I really think you should give it a test drive as well as a diesel truck. The trucks these days though....wow, creature features and incredibly cool all around. I just prefer SUV total enclosed spaces.

Too bad Ford dropped the diesel excursion. That thing with the new tech would be insane with 35's, lockers, towing the AS and playing on all but the narrow 4x4 trails and 2 whole families could ride inside it

Hmmm, here's an idea...doo keep the lr3. Make your budget for the tow vehicle with this math:
Max amount willing to spend on new TV if selling off the lr3 - value of lr3 = budget for TV.
If willing to spend $50k on new truck but lr3 is honestly only worth about $20k at most, new to you TV budget is $30k! The last generation of Ford diesel excursion can be bought for $10k! A nice as heck big truck can easily be bought for under $30k.
Try to figure out a way to keep the lr3 for what it's clearly better suited and a TV that is just for the trips with the Airstream.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 AM   #87
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
... my truck is loaded with weight from off-road gear, but I am worried about stability, stress on the truck (already lifted with Johnson Rods, and 33" tires).
As we discussed, your mods will only decrease the lr3 stability, dramatically in my opinion from experience, especially the ride height being taller than factory by 2".
*(people on this forum are not usually familiar with the above "mods": rods=2" lift in the air springs, stock tires are a 30", his are a 31.5" E load range BFG at ko, the "weight" is rock sliders that alone weight close to 200 lbs, the ARB front bumper and winch easily anout 200 lbs, the rear bumper and tire carrier 200 lbs, crap on the roof, 100-200 easily, people inside ~400 + their luggage. LR3 cargo rating is only in the 1500 lb range. The rear axle weight rating is on the door but the items listed already pull about 500 lbs out of that number)

What I hadn't really added up in my head was that your particular LR3, which most people on this forum will not be very familiar with, is already well near the factory spec limits for rear axle weight.

When you consider, if being honest, that the LR3 in pure stock form at it's lowest weight, is already barely "qualified" for the tongue weight and overall GVW, it's probably really not a good idea. If you could make yourself drive at no faster than 45 mph, then sure, but out on our interstates pushing 70+ and the big hills from where you are located, to get anywhere else...well, it sounds like pushing the limits right to the edge and likely beyond.

Add on top of that the higher TW for the darn 25' EB and it's just plain not going to be a fun time, not relaxing anyway. The TW is over 800 lbs. Your LR3 has an extra 200 lbs on the rear bumper already.

The other thing people often don't think about is the distance from the rear axle to the hitch point. On the LR3 and LR4, and Range Rovers, it's a long way. The vehicle is designed with as short a wheelbase as possible for better maneuvering off road but the Discovery has grown a long way in size from the D1 and even D2 so the rear overhang is pretty long compared to something like a Mercedes G with practically no overhang, relative to the wheelbase.

If you were considering something with a TW of more like 500 lbs, then it would be better, but even then for long trips, you already have all the extra steel on the lr3 using up pretty much all of the cargo load rating, which is part of how the TW rating is calculated.

Lastly, go on the other forum, expo, and see what amazing things can be done with either a full size pick up or.... the bigger suv platforms like a suburban or maybe even a Toyota Sequoia.

Hey, want something sweet like the LR3 but more tow rating and every bit as viable for that gnarly 4x4 trail near the state park campgrounds for day trips away from the AS? Maybe dig up towing experiences info on the Land Cruiser which, until some US guidelines were revised to be more conservative, had an 8500 lb (now 8200 lb) tow and 10% TW. This is partially due to the super built rear end design using a solid axle and steel springs with a normal high rated receiver built right into the last frame member.

True 33" are simple in stock form but 35" are possible with the mods like your lr3 has. KDSS provides really, really good highway manners while opening up in slow-mo for trail flex. I really think you should give it a test drive as well as a diesel truck. The trucks these days though....wow, creature features and incredibly cool all around. I just prefer SUV total enclosed spaces.

Too bad Ford dropped the diesel excursion. That thing with the new tech would be insane with 35's, lockers, towing the AS and playing on all but the narrow 4x4 trails and 2 whole families could ride inside it

Hmmm, here's an idea...doo keep the lr3. Make your budget for the tow vehicle with this math:
Max amount willing to spend on new TV if selling off the lr3 - value of lr3 = budget for TV.

If a person is willing to spend $50k on new truck, while the lr3 is honestly only worth about $20k depending on current miles, a new to you TV budget is then $30k remaining !

The last generation of Ford diesel excursion can be bought for $10k! A nice as heck big truck can easily be bought for under $30k.

Try to figure out a way to keep the lr3 for what it's clearly better suited and a TV that is just for the trips with the Airstream.