Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
WOW! thanks everyone for your comments ! i am thinking SMALLER now.
and i am wondering about what would be good to tow. i do know i want a truck as opposed to a van. just not sure what truck so i guess i should look at all of them.

most of the time..... i'll be solo and the 'home' will be parked so i have to consider that as well.

thanks again for your comments.
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I pull a 2006 22' International with a Dodge Mega Cab 1 ton . I love it. I bought the truck for the work I do and I enjoy pulling any trailer with it. The 22' pulls well and I am never lacking for power. If its in the cards you will never regret having more truck IMO

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
ok so if a diesel is overkill ...... should i still consider a 3/4 ton truck? or would one of those new gas 2010 ford 1/2 tons do the job?
Ford seems to think it's new 1/2 ton will do the job.

Ford commercial for the F150..
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We tow a 25' FB with an '07 (2nd generation) Tundra. Never have had any problems. The 5.7 L. engine has lots and lots of power. I expect it would tow a 27' just as easily.

I think you'll have to look around quite a bit to find a cab with the extended option. Tundra does have a standard cab with an 8' bed. I know you don't like extended cabs, but the standard cab is uncommon and may be harder to get a good deal on. It has more payload than our DoubleCab. The Tacomas are larger than they used to be—more like the 1st generation Tundras—and might also be an option for a 23'. They get better gas mileage than the Tundras. We buy Toyotas for their reliability—I don't want to fix trucks anymore or even have to bring them to a dealer when under warranty.

The Tundra or any full sized truck can be a pain to park. The sonar option does help a lot, but you can't shrink the truck when you are not towing. The Tacoma is still pretty big, but not quite as big.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
why do you want a new diesel? i have a 2004 4x4 dodge with the cummins motor. she gets great milage, will pull any trailer up any grade with ease, and has the tightest turning circle of all the 3/4 trucks (will out turn my dads yukon and nieghbors ford, both 1/2 tons)

bottom line: EVERY1/2 ton on the market will tow your trailer, a very big portion will tow 7500. out of the current selection amd ride quality,

i recomend the 2010 dodge ram 1/2. coil spring rear end for ride quaility when empty, 400lbs of touqe on pump gas (chevy and ford need E85 to come close). she's like a cady with a truck bed
Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I tow a 23 footer with a diesel ('08 GMC Duramax). Four reasons: 1) lots of torque which is great in mountains and on-ramps, 2) big time brakes, ring gear, etc., and long-lasting engine, which makes for longevity, 3) better fuel mileage and thus range, and 4) I never worry about how much I put in the truck - just pile it in and drive away. I'm quite pleased. BUT there ARE downsides: a) initial cost of the diesel purchase; b) much stiffer ride (esp. when empty or near-so) with 3/4 ton suspension ... and just now you can't get a diesel in 1/2 ton (but soon you will be able to); c) probably poorer mileage in-town (it takes more oomph to get all that mass moving).
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
POI...

Shop all week long but go for your road test on FRI....

They really need to sell rigs right now and will make a good deal, the store I worked at regularly let the vehicle go out over the weekend for an extended RT. It's worth a try.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The end of the month is good because they don't want to renew the loan on them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About new (later '07,'08,'09,'10 year models), the Diesels DO NOT get better fuel mileage than gasoline rigs.

I recently traded an '07 1/2 ton GMC truck with the 5.3 Liter gas engine for an '08 3/4 ton GMC truck with the Duramax Diesel engine, and in all aspects to date, it gets worse fuel mileage than my gas truck. It gets worse mileage around town, and worse mileage on the road at simular speeds, and it gets worst mileage towing a small trailer. I've not had the oportunity as yet to tow the Airstream with the Diesel. It does have lots of power, however.

The thing is, these model Diesel trucks by law now must have a Diesel Paticulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust system, part of the new emissions control, and that restriction, plus the systems need to regenerate itself about every tank of fuel, is killing the fuel mileage. The DPF is actually a very fine screen wire filter that removes the black soot from the Diesel exhaust, and as you would think, gets plugged up with the soot. At that time, the system goes into a regen cycle where the 'puter adjusts the injector pump timing, and richens the mixture to the point that the exhaust gets super hot, and burns the soot in the DPF to ash. This cycle plus the restrictive nature of the DPF is what is killing the fuel mileage in the newer Diesels. I have reports from drivers that have removed the DPF, and reprogramed the 'puter of getting an increase of 6 mpg, and by the way at a cost of about $600. By the way, doing so is illegal, and voids the truck's warranty.

My gas truck got 18 mpg on the road... the Diesel gets 16.4. The gas truck got 16 around town (I live a ways out and my "around town" is simular to some's road), and the Diesel gets 14.5. My gas truck got 15 towing our small Casita TT, and the Diesel gets 14.5.

Then, you can figure all the increased costs to service the Diesel. Unless you've experinced it, you wouldn't believe.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If they are still manufactured, you can look into a light duty 3/4 ton truck with a V8 gas engine. Mine gets 14+mpg without the trailer, and about 10 towing. It has the bigger brakes, but a somewhat softer ride than the 3/4 ton HD models. And our trailer is the same model and year as Aage's.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
I tow a 28' with a GMC 1/2 ton regular cab, short bed with a 5.3 liter 4x4 engine and have plenty of power. An extended cab with the same engine will weigh about 1100 lbs more - so the regular cab with the same engine has more power to pull the trailer because it's not lugging the extended cab. I get 20 mpg without the trailer and about 12 towing - even in the hills of NH. The regular cab is a great truck, very quick and lots of pep by itself, easy to handle - so check out the various brands and pick one based on how comfortable the truck is for you. You don't need a big honking sledge hammer to drive a finish nail!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We tow a 25' FB with an '07 (2nd generation) Tundra. Never have had any problems. The 5.7 L. engine has lots and lots of power. I expect it would tow a 27' just as easily.

I think you'll have to look around quite a bit to find a cab with the extended option. Tundra does have a standard cab with an 8' bed. I know you don't like extended cabs, but the standard cab is uncommon and may be harder to get a good deal on. It has more payload than our DoubleCab. The Tacomas are larger than they used to be—more like the 1st generation Tundras—and might also be an option for a 23'. They get better gas mileage than the Tundras. We buy Toyotas for their reliability—I don't want to fix trucks anymore or even have to bring them to a dealer when under warranty.

The Tundra or any full sized truck can be a pain to park. The sonar option does help a lot, but you can't shrink the truck when you are not towing. The Tacoma is still pretty big, but not quite as big.

Gene

i am going to look at a tundra Gene. i know someone that has one and loves it. if i cant find what i am looking for i will order it. i know you can order the regular cab.
i dont mind driving a regular cab, 8 ft bed truck. i did drive one for 17 years before i got the car i have now. i never worry about parking.... i just park at the end of the lot and walk into stores. always looking for a chance for some excercise. LOL

parking was never a problem anywhere....not that i found
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Once again thanks all. you have given me alot to think about. LOL i have talked to so many truck dealers on the phone today. i made appointments to get in to see as many as i can before friday.

i am looking forward to seeing what kind of deals they are going to want to make me.
i think the closer i get to the end of the years the sweeter the deal is going to be...in fact..... dec.31st should be an interesting day to go truck shopping. LOL

i have already had the dodge dealer knock off $1900 to get my attention.... so who knows what else is comming.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
AnnieD, welcome to the VC Highlands country. You have lots of A/S neighbors.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I got my 2005 Dodge Cummins because that's what I always wanted, and I'm not getting any younger..... Certainly I don't need it to tow my 16' CCD, or for going back and forth to work - but it works just fine for those tasks. Driving solo it will do 21 mpg on the freeway, and 16 to 17 mpg back and forth to work (mix of freeway and stop n go). Towing it will do 16 or 17 mpg on the freeway, and when I'm on I80 in western Wyoming it will pull the Three Sisters hills at 65 mph (my typical max towing speed) without downshifting, and if I do have to slow down, I can accelerate back up to 65 with no worries.

I read the posts about the stiff ride from a 3/4 ton chassis (nothing to do with a gas vs diesel engine) and trouble with the trailer frame bending, or rivets working loose. I'm on my second Airstream and have not experienced this problem, but it's something to think about as you decide.

At a minimum - get what you need (plus a nice rating margin for safety and towing performance and comfort) - nothing wrong with going bigger if that's what you want.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post

I read the posts about the stiff ride from a 3/4 ton chassis (nothing to do with a gas vs diesel engine) and trouble with the trailer frame bending, or rivets working loose. I'm on my second Airstream and have not experienced this problem, but it's something to think about as you decide.
I found there was no merit to the "over-trucking"/"over-hitching" theory.

My experiment is documented here:

Here's my airforum thread:
Measuring forces at the hitch

I also condensed my findings on my blog:
Measuring Forces at the Hitch

In short, "heavy-duty", or more accurately, "properly-rated" hitches and vehicles, DO NOT 'transmit' appreciably increased forces to the trailer, over lighter torsion bars and/or softer suspensions.

The OT/OH theory intrigued me, because like many urban myths, there's just enough to it to make it seem plausible (e.g. killer bees from mexico, California breaking off into Pacific, Y2K Armageddon, government fixing healthcare)- but under quantified scrutiny, it's simply not credible to assume negligible increases in acceleration with "heavy-duty" suspension and/or "heavy-duty" torsion bars, causes structural failures in our Airstreams.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Bigger is not necessarily rougher...

In regard to the notion that having a big diesel truck will pound your small trailer to pieces, I would offer my opinion that that is not necessarily correct.

I towed my 5,000 lb or so 19 footer for years with a Ford Ranger, extended cab 4x4 rated for 5,600 lbs towing. Being 80% or more of capacity, the ride was rough and the days were long.

Wether it is related or not, I even had a total of 5 rivets pop inside (Jackson Center replaced them for no charge).

Then in 2008, for a variety of reasons (not just for towing my Airstream) I moved up to an F-350 Super Duty extended cab 4x4 with 6.4 L Diesel.....

What an absolute dream to tow with. The ride is 100 times gentler as it just floats down the road, and to beat an old cliche to death "you don't even know the trailer is there".

Part of that is because the F-350 has nice huge springs on the rear, but the first 3 inches or so are super soft for a gentle ride. Even with the Airstream on you never get down into the heavy, harsh springs. You ride down the road and the trailer gently follows along. Far, far smoother than the Ranger.

At nights when we get to our campground everything is still exactly as we left it that morning - all the items in the frig are still on the same shelf, the box of crackers in the cabinet is still upright. Back when we towed with the Ranger that was not true as things were always tossed around so I know it rode much rougher then.

Plus you have the added benefit of just poking your toe down a little and running whatever speed uphill or downhill you should. I had no issues with towing with my much smaller Ranger, it did the job just fine, just slower and rougher.

But having had the 2 very different vehicles there is no way I will ever go back, the Super Duty Diesel is just so much more comfortable to tow with.

best regards, Dave W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	92942  
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #38
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Even if you really live IN Virginia City the !/2 ton should be OK, if a mite short-winded at the top of the grade. The Cummins could yank that AS over the Rubicon!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your proposed diesel, is more for towing the Queen Mary.

All you need is a 1/2 ton truck, or an equal.

Andy

Agreed. With my 1/2 ton ford, with the little 4.6 v8, I hauled a 3000lb, 16 foot gooseneck with 8,000lb of cattle routinely. It struggled up hill, but it did it, and I'm sure it would have preferred a little old airstream. Occasionally I hooked it up to a borrowed hay trailer that would hold 8, 1-ton bales. 2000lbs x 8 = start off in 4 low.

I have a diesel now, and it's seriously overkill for my 29 foot AS, but it's a must for my heavy hauls. The 1/2 ton was much more enjoyable as a daily driver.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
About new (later '07,'08,'09,'10 year models), the Diesels DO NOT get better fuel mileage than gasoline rigs.
Depends on the truck. Sometimes you just get a lemon mileage wise.

My gas v8 got 14 on the highway at best. My diesel averages 18, and I've had up to 23 on flat highway.

Additionally, when pulling a load, my gas truck dropped to around 8mpg. My diesel drops to average 16.5.
(Edit: both my gas and diesel trucks compared are/were 2002 model Fords. Both 4x4 with BFG All Terrains)

For most people though, the bottom line is if you tow a lot, or put on lots of highway miles, go the diesel. If it's mostly your around town commuter with the occasional highway trip, go gas. If you pull through the mountains a lot, get the diesel.

With the increased maintenance costs, etc., diesels don't begin to break even and outdo gas dollar wise until you've put on what, around 150,000 miles?