Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dennis,

If we are going to start breaking laws, might as well pull the gate down. I have a chain. Farmers on tractors are an issue here—play it as it lies. No, I'm keeping my rear wheels.

Gene

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #58
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Is Towing 6000 lbs with a diesel overkill?

...you would never know.

Bill

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The big gas engines on contemporary 1/2 ton trucks should go over any mountain easily. I'm sure it would have better gas mileage at sea level and would blow the doors off a lot of cars should I decide to go drag racing (I've been thinking about challenging someone in a muscle car at a light, ).

Gene
Gene has the good info. I quick google search show the Tundra surprisingly quick, with or without a trailer in tow. YouTube - 2007 Toyota Tundra "Best in Class"

Luv that 66 Olds though.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Is Towing 6000 lbs with a diesel overkill?

No.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
More on gas vs diesel

From Consumer Reports. A little more conservative, note that the 2500
versions are diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Economy:Acceleration Chart.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	93115  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #62
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster View Post
From Consumer Reports. A little more conservative, note that the 2500
versions are diesel.
What about the F-250. That number looks like the gas version. I get much better mileage.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #63
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
What about the F-250. That number looks like the gas version. I get much better mileage.
In their tests, they quoted 10 mpg overall. In fact, the F-250 was the slowest, thirstiest, worst handling (for both routine and emergency manoevres), least comfortable and the noisiest of the models tested.

They liked the rear seat comfort and cargo convenience though. Hey, you can't win them all.

Top heavy-duty truck tested was the Ram 2500 Lariat and the top full-sized (1/2 ton) was the Toyota Tundra.

I also liked the recommendations for vehicle size versus TT weight. Here it is:

Check out the little image for the "heavy load" vehicles.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
That test was of the just-redesigned 2008 F-250 with the Powerstroke. Your truck is probably lighter (IIRC, the 08 redesign got heavier) and lacks all of the emissions stuff on the newer truck.

Aage, the top scoring heavy-duty truck was the GM 3/4-ton with the Duramax, not the Ram 2500. In that 2007 article, the Tundra did top the 1/2-ton truck group, but after it got the 6-speed auto for 2009, the Silverado became the top-scoring "normal" 1/2-ton truck (excluding the unique Avalanche or Ridgeline.)

Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I get better mileage with the Tundra.

Gene
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #66
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, I admit that the layout and policies on keeping old results on CU is not clear, but from what I saw this morning, the most current tests of trucks does still rate the F-250 at the bottom.

Also, I see that the two I mentioned were, in the results I read last night on CU, the only two that in that particular test, were "Recommended", and not the "top rated" models.

They mention in the article that there is a re-design due in 2010 for the F-250, but it is at the bottom of the ratings if you read this small excerpt, which, as I say, appears to be for the current model.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Towing with a diesel is a dream, I know, I own one. You arrive more rested etc. Just cruising down the highway. The flip side is day to day, the ride of the heavier suspension is not as enjoyable as a 1/2 ton truck. Some of the 3/4 ton trucks don't meet the same safety requirements as the 1/2 ton trucks. The f250 is stands out in this regard as the body is not shared with the 1/2 ton trucks and does have the same roll over protection/crash worthiness of the F150 (except in matters of shear size). But the one factor that does not seemed to have come up in this thread is the fact that, while Diesels are fairly reliable, when they do break they are very expensive to repair, think Audi, Mercedes, BMW. If you would not own one of those cars because of maintenance costs, then don't go near a diesel unless you are only going to own it while it's under warranty.....I speak from experience, owning a diesel pickup and having owned a number of European cars.

However, if you ever tow with a diesel.....well it's tough to go back. If I was to go back and get a 1/2 ton, I would likely get a Tundra, the F150 would be a close second choice. I don't like the looks of the new Chevy's (subjective I know) and their interior quality is still iffy (my '03 has the WORST interior quality of ANY vehicle I have every owned) but the newer model is a bit better....mostly better looking, slightly better constructed. While not much of a Chrysler fan, I think the Rams have made great strides and may be worth some consideration.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
My $.02

My $.02

I own a 1999 Dodge Ram Quad cab with the Cummins Deisel, 4 speed automatic transmission, that I bought brand new. It's going on 160,000 miles, and I've had no trouble out of the truck to speak of. As just the pickup mode it gets 25 MPG+, when I put my 4000 lb utility body on it it still gets 18 MPG running 70MPH, pulling my 33' Argosy running 70 MPH with it I still get 12.5 MPG out of the truck. I have never, and I mean NEVER had any issues with starting, even in single digit weather.

Buying a truck is like anything else, you need to look at your budget, usage, and the amount of time you think you'll have the vehicle. The thing about the Cummins is the truck will outlast three 1/2 ton pickups, and probably two or more 3/4 ton gas pickups. With the towing capacity, and here's something to keep in mind even with the smaller trailers, the engine braking capacity of the rig on hills, it's exceptionally hard to beat them for towing. In my experieance, my Cummins has run circles around other tow rigs, and the fuel mileage is unbeatable [this is where you really recoupe your initial cost to buy the deisel engines].

The drawbacks are that things aren't cheap when they do break [but with the amount of time it lasts it's still cheaper then most gas engines], and they are not as quiet as a gas motor.

As I said, I have never had any starting issues with mine, including not being plugged in in single digit weather, it's always fired right up. I do admit that after my experiences owning Ford, Chevy, and Dodge in both gas and deisel versions, I'll buy a deisel any day of the week over a gas motor. but like I started out with, that's my $.02
Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Hi Catman.... thanks for your 2 cents. LOL i think i read somewhere on this board that the earlier diesels get good milage. thats not the case with a new ones. 25mph would be great in pickup mode. but i dont think they get that anymore.
pity.
i LOVE the cummins diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman6 View Post
My $.02

I own a 1999 Dodge Ram Quad cab with the Cummins Deisel, 4 speed automatic transmission, that I bought brand new. It's going on 160,000 miles, and I've had no trouble out of the truck to speak of. As just the pickup mode it gets 25 MPG+, when I put my 4000 lb utility body on it it still gets 18 MPG running 70MPH, pulling my 33' Argosy running 70 MPH with it I still get 12.5 MPG out of the truck. I have never, and I mean NEVER had any issues with starting, even in single digit weather.

Buying a truck is like anything else, you need to look at your budget, usage, and the amount of time you think you'll have the vehicle. The thing about the Cummins is the truck will outlast three 1/2 ton pickups, and probably two or more 3/4 ton gas pickups. With the towing capacity, and here's something to keep in mind even with the smaller trailers, the engine braking capacity of the rig on hills, it's exceptionally hard to beat them for towing. In my experieance, my Cummins has run circles around other tow rigs, and the fuel mileage is unbeatable [this is where you really recoupe your initial cost to buy the deisel engines].

The drawbacks are that things aren't cheap when they do break [but with the amount of time it lasts it's still cheaper then most gas engines], and they are not as quiet as a gas motor.

As I said, I have never had any starting issues with mine, including not being plugged in in single digit weather, it's always fired right up. I do admit that after my experiences owning Ford, Chevy, and Dodge in both gas and deisel versions, I'll buy a deisel any day of the week over a gas motor. but like I started out with, that's my $.02
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
AnnieD,

You have recieved a lot of responses here, I'd like to add mine.

I'm new here, let's say ZERO Airstream experience, OK!

But I own 2 Dodge Diesels, we also have an '07 at work that I use for various company activities. I am a new guy with the Cummins, only about 100,000 miles saddle time since about 2004 or so.

I like the Cummins. If you open the hood of the Big 3 full size diesel pick up trucks and just poke around, I think you could easily pick out which one you would rather work on, I sure can. No doubt they all have pulses and minuses, but the grunt level power of the Cummins is very hard to beat.

I have several suggestions, pardon me if I step on someone else's previous posts.

1. Test drives.
2. Check into this forum: www.turbodieselregister.com they are as dedicated to the Cummins as I'm sure the Airstream community is to Airstreams. If you look for local and regional activities on TDR, I bet there might be something not too far away.

I just towed mine home this Saturday, only 50 or so miles. It grossed 15,700 Lbs on a CAT scale, I can't wait to take it up I-77 into VA and crest it at Fancy Gap, I think it is about 8 miles up into the mountains, no I don't want to race up the hill, I just want to pull it with the power and respect that is possible.

It's a simple, servicable, strong, dependable and reputable power plant for the Dodge. I enjoy it. My favorite years would be the let's say 2000-2006 range. The last of what is known and the 2nd Generation body and the pre-Diesel Particulate Filter 3rd Gen's. Pre-DPF in Dodge can be early '07 also. The DPF adds a bit of complexity and servicing.

Best of luck on your search and happy trails on what ever you decide.

GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote