Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Ashtabula , Ohio
Wow.

my first post i really bringing in some responses.

Anyway, no worries on solving this debate right this second, I'm not going to be towing it anywhere right now, probably a month or two from now, but not right now.

And per the general consensus, I won't be towing it with the jeep, although I'm suprised by how little respect it gets in the towing department. I had no idea this vehicle was so inept at towing. I'm not experienced with airstreams at all, but horse trailers, yes, and I've towed quite a few with this vehicle, although I'm sure they were much lighter.

In any case, I appreciate all the responses, and will most likely pay someone to move it for me when it needs moved. After trying airstream living out for a few months, I may get my hands on a nice tow-capable truck...but for now I suppose I can find some friends who will tow it (given that it'll reside at a local campground, I'm sure someone there should have a sufficient setup.

Thanks again for all the help, I can tell already this forum is going to provide an infinite amount of information I can use ;-)
atticus_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
all. If they thought that's all it should tow or carry, they'd have said so.
This is not to start a fight or anything like that, just something to think about.....

Can you really trust what automakers tell you is safe? Lets look at the honesty record....

Toyota sold incomplete chassis to several RV makers in the 80's. Some of those RV makers overloaded the chassis/rear axle which caused separation of the wheel from the axle.
Ford sold the Pinto and latest gen Crown Vic which if rear ended cause a nice big bonfire suitable for roasting weinies.
Ford sold the Explorer which was too heavy, with too short a wheelbase, to soften the ride they told owners to use 26psi, which of course causes overheating of tires. Roll baby roll.
The federal government forced air bags on us before testing data was fully available.

There are other examples. Out of these, the only ones who ever fessed up and made it right was Toyota which gave floating axles to the RV makers. Ford and the US government has yet to fess up to theirs.....

So, I don't think I want to trust what an automaker tells me to make me feel safe.
VSP Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Most U-Haul trucks either don't have hitches, or have a 2 1/4" ball welded to the hitch, which in turn is welded to the truck.
I've never heard of a 2 1/4" ball... must be so you can't tow anything but a Uhaul trailer?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul NC
I've never heard of a 2 1/4" ball... must be so you can't tow anything but a Uhaul trailer?
Sorry, I meant 2" ball. I was thinking about your trailer's 2 5/16" ball, and got my numbers tangled around my, uh, never mind.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Sorry, I meant 2" ball. I was thinking about your trailer's 2 5/16" ball, and got my numbers tangled around my, uh, never mind.
Hehehe... it made sense to me since Uhauls trailers use that top adjustment... I've only used a Uhaul once.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Auto makers and government have both cooked numbers to try to make you believe the lie of the moment. That's why there is independent research, and failure analysis labs. And, of course, the internet, Al Gore's personal invention... (just to prove the 'don't believe everything they tell you' idea)