Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I've got a 2009 Tundra Double cab and it tows my 2008 25 foot Safari just fine. I have a Prodigy and an equalizer hitch, and have experienced no problems at all with towing, climbing, or stopping. I have a Leer cap on the back which decreases my weight limit too, but I'm still well within the Toyota guidelines and am very content with my set up and think you will be too.
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Read this thread about the Equalizer. Bending plates are an issue for some.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ort-34484.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2004 25' International CCD
Moab , Utah
Our 2007 pulls our 25' International just fine. Probably 5 round trips through the Rockies and 30,000+ tow miles. All without a single issue. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have a 2009 double cab TRD and a 22 ft Safari and have just taken taken a jaunt up to Seattle for 5 days. The tow was very easy and we had no problem at all with the trailer. Power is certainly not a problem with the 5.7 ltr engine. We have just purchased a Hensley hitch and will be installing that soon, just to make sure handling in windy conditions is not a problem. I haven't looked into a larger Airstream at this time but think that we could easily move up 5 or 6 feet without change in TV's. Our previous TV was a 2003 4Runner with a 5000lb capacity and it was not nearly as stable as the Tundra, particularly in windy conditions. The 2009 Tundra TRD double cab will tow. No doubt about it. The gas mileage is a separate issue. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #25

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
My wife and I tow our 2006 Safari with a 2008 Tundra Crewmax and have absolutely no problems. The longest trip we have made thus far is from Knoxville, TN to a state park south of Birmingham, AL. Everything worked perfectly! Next week we are leaving for the International in Madison so we'll learn more on this upcoming tripl
oregonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
My neighbor has a rotor warping problem, the dealer has done a brakejob, already and it it back. He has 10000 miles on it. It an 08, the mechanic says he is seeing alot of this, I wont repeat my post requating advice.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mustang started a thread on brake issues the other day: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ues-53116.html

I have had no brake problems with our 2007 and we now have more 24,000 miles. I looked on Tundra Solutions to see if there were a lot of posts about brake problems and found very little about it.

As a general statement, and I am not pointing at anyone, it seems that because Toyotas have such a good reputation for reliability there's a few American truck fans that are eager to slam Tundras at any instance. Yet when you compare them, the Toyotas come out ahead over the years in reliability. There will always be a some people who had problems with Toyotas and some people who have had no problems with American trucks. These testimonials are interesting, but not conclusive. We have had hardly any problems with six Toyotas—all of which were either pickups or truck based SUV's. That's interesting, but maybe we're lucky. But overall, Toyotas rate very highly. Toyota gained market share over the last 20 years based not on looks, sexiness or price, but on reliability.

It's also true that Toyota has been slipping in relative ratings the last few years and even Hyundai rates ahead of them in the latest JD Power ratings. Hyundai some years ago adopted the Toyota QC system and seems to be doing a little better than Toyota at it. But all manufacturers are doing better and the ratings don't mean a significant difference in Toyota, but do show enough improvement among other brands (Cadillac included) to be just ahead of Toyota. The differences between all the top manufacturers is so small as to be unimportant.

If Toyota sticks it to us in the future, I'll be the first to complain. I have complained about 2 things—lousy gas mileage and how difficult it is to change the oil filter. Massive torque means lots of gas, but I think they could have done better. They have a filter and not a cartridge (containing the filter). They claim this is for environmental reasons. It is difficult to get to the filter, difficult to remove it (special tool required which I refuse to buy), difficult to drain it—oil tends to go everywhere. I was told the '08's are even worse for access to the filter. Every time I change the filter I decide to buy a different brand next time, but later I come to my senses. We don't want a vehicle that breaks down on a trip. Airstreams have enough problems to fix when traveling—who needs more that can go wrong?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote