Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, and resale is another issue....you can hardly give away a standard cab pickup these days.
you might be right about that Steve. LOL everyone wants an extended cab. but i dont care about that. i just HATE the look of the extended cab. i can appreciate how useful it is and alot of folks like them.
and thats fine. i think its nice to look at when someone else owns one. LOL

but i couldnt own one because i just hate it THAT much. so..... if i HAVE to give it away when i am done with it.... SO be it! LOL

but seriously.... i do agree with you.... they are more useful.
i just dont like the view.
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChanger View Post
Annie;
Love my used 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. Bought it with 108K miles for 1/3 of what it cost new. Great power, especially for towing in the mountains like you'll face in the West. Noisy, relatively, with the custom exhaust. Yes to 15mpg towing and 23 around town. Gets as good gas mileage as our Lexus LS430 without towing.

Also consider AS past 1988--they went to 108" then, and past 1994 if you've got someone tall going along--They got taller in '94. You can still get an excellent AS in those date ranges.

Lots of wise counsel in the postings above. I know you'll really enjoy the experience!
Thanks SS..... nobody but me going anywhere in my AS. LOL i didnt realize that about the height difference.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

no gotchaz.

but the process of finding the sweet spot for many/lots/most of us...

is seldom clean or without the occasional detour or mulligan.

and lots of folks end up with what they have by happenstance...

then rationalize the outcome later...

the roads to perfection are many.

cheers
2air'

2air.... i was just reading this post and i know what you mean about finding the 'sweet spot'. LOL

i never thought of it that way but thats what some of seem to go thru when trying to decide what to buy. not just with an AS but with lots of things.
i know i do. it takes me a while to make a decision when there are lots to choose from.

some things i know right off i want or dont want... then the other 90% is alot of going back and forth.

i guess the more information you can get on something... the easier it is to make a decision.

i hope. LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Dear Airstream Annie, go to Richie Rich's public profile. See the big shiny '66 Sovereign ? Nice huh? (and cheap too). See the young people in the picture,and how happy they are? This baby weighs less than 5000 lbs. A' cheap sleep ' like this could make you happy too. Then hook up to a traditional Airstream T/V , a Suburban,and wave to all the A/S fans honking hello.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
Dear Airstream Annie, go to Richie Rich's public profile. See the big shiny '66 Sovereign ? Nice huh? (and cheap too). See the young people in the picture,and how happy they are? This baby weighs less than 5000 lbs. A' cheap sleep ' like this could make you happy too. Then hook up to a traditional Airstream T/V , a Suburban,and wave to all the A/S fans honking hello.
NOOOO !!!! you can cant call me airstream annie till i actually HAVE one ! LOL you are making me laugh.

OMG Richie thats a wondeful trailer ! its absolutely beautiful.
do you live full time in it? do you have any interior pictures?
VERY NICE!
Thanks for sharing that with me.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
The plan,like you ,is to move north in the Summer to escape the sweltering Florida heat. Enjoy camping the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway to a campground with a seasonal rate in the Finger Lakes region. When all the leaves have fallen, head south. Just release the hand brake,its all down hill to Florida Annie. I do have interior shots,if I can pull them up. Until then click on Photos to '60s Airstreams. A '66 Sovereign should be listed. Mine is about the same but with personal touches of course. Any 3/4 ton could pull it. Suburbans were made to be mated with this rig.Its a classic combo.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

YEAH Richie! thats the way to do it. no reason to be in the bad weather if you dont have to. i expect to be border to border and waaaay into alberta for the summer. LOL and then as far south as i can get ...tucked into the desert for winter.
my region will be missouri and west.... and the thinner the population the better.

owning an AS and full timing sounds like a lot more fun than owning a house.
maybe i will have the house one day... but right now.... i think this is the way to go. LOL

and i will have a look at your pics. your rig is beautiful.