Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post

and as far as seat warmers go.... like i said..... when i cant keep my windows open for fresh air..... then i will be LONG gone from that location.
so... seat warmers are not even something i would EVER think about. LOL

not to hijack this thread... but what do you do for a living to be able to move everytime it gets cold/hot !?
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You mention considering a 25 footer. We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. Over the past 3 1/2 years we have pulled Lucy over 50,000 miles and have spent over 500 nights in her. Lucy has visited all of the lower 48 states. Lucy weighs 7400# ready to travel.

We tow Lucy with 3/4 Suburbans with the 6.0 liter gasoline engine. These tow vehicles do a very good job in all conditions. Towing Lucy's weight, I don't think that I would want to mess with the diesel hassles.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3454.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	91568  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I will amend my original comments that were directed strictly to the choice of gas or diesel.

Another consideration that is very important is the ride characteristics of the TV. I had towed for years with diesel Suburbans and switched to a diesel Ford Excursion 2 years ago, now the GM no longer offers a diesel and without doing any investigation. The Ford clearly was never intended to be a tow vehicle. I spent the first year redesigning the suspension system just to keep the truck on the road while towing.

Independent of the engine you select talk to others that are towing with your selection about other consideration, ride comfort, handling, ect, before buying. The Excursion has the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Annie, if you want to find out about rebates or specs, options available, and wholesale, trade-in, and retail prices for new and used cars, check: New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

Kelley blue book has a lot of the same information, but last time I was in the market, Edmunds was better. But: New Car - New Car Prices & Reviews - Kelley Blue Book

Consumer Reports has the same info for a price.

Check manufacturers websites for tow info, though it can be hard to find, it's usually there somewhere.

If you are a member of AAA they will negotiate a price and find the vehicle you want. There's a nominal charge. This is good if you don't like dealing with dealers you avoid some usual dealer charges this way. I've used them when living near a big city because they get good prices, though if you live far from a city it can be a pain because you have to travel to get the vehicle. I prefer negotiating myself because it's fun (I know, not too many people feel that way), but AAA does a good job.

Gene

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
not to hijack this thread... but what do you do for a living to be able to move everytime it gets cold/hot !?

Hi Flmgrip..... i am free as a bird because i have an online job and i NOW have mobile broadband. so i can pretty much work anywhere i want to.
if i cant get a signal out in the boonies then i wouldnt consider staying there for a season. but there are PLENTY of places to go where my laptop computer will do just fine.

and.... like i said..... a season to me is anytime i have to close my windows so i cant have fresh air flowing thru. LOL i am not talking about a cold snap.... i mean when the area i am in starts to be TOO COLD for that. ..... or conversely..... TOO HOT as in the desert climates. i dont like heating or air conditioning... or being cooped up inside with no fresh air.

as long as the sun is shining and the breezes are blowing..... thats where i want to be. i've set my life up to be child free and debt free so i am good to go with an AS ....till i get too old to do it. LOL

so....why not? if it werent for technology i guess i wouldnt be able to do this..... but time has finally arrived. AND.... i intend to enjoy it for as long as possible.

no reason to be statonary anymore.
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Hey Howie... Crawford Gene.... MORE great info and comments ! thanks ALOT ! you have given me LOTS to think about. this whole thing is certainly going to be taking some time to sort out.

and Moosetags.... LOVE your comments. thanks... and Lucy looks great. i am thinking about 25 ft. too. that would be a good size for one person.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
i have NOT selected an AS just yet.... but it might be a heavy one...maybe 10K pounds plus if i decide on a 30ft.

i am starting to think about what truck to buy. whats your opinion for either gas or diesel ? and why?

i would love a dodge ram diesel but if gas is going to be a better bet for price that would be ok as well.

what do you think?

thanks
I had a gas F-250 that I initially used to pull my 31 Classic. I now tow with a diesel F-250. Much better power going up the mountain passes. Wheel base and factory towing package are factors as well. You usually get transmission cooler, possibly an oil cooler, larger brakes, bigger alternator,..
I have an extended cab, long bed truck. The truck is 23 feet long. This has been a blessing more than once.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Dlesel Mieage vs. Gasser

Quote:
but one thing the truck guy at ford DID say is that the gas mileage with diesel is not better than gas. i found that strange since everyone has been telling me that it does get better mileage.
You need a new truck guy; this one doesn't know what he's talking about. Diesel fuel has about 30% more BTUs per gallon than gasoline. Assuming you extract those BUTs equally as efficiently, you WILL get better fuel mileage (measured as miles per gallon of fuel) with a diesel ... at least in over the road applications. If this were not the case, semis, locomotives and ships would all be gassers instead of diesels, but they're not. You might not get better mileage in town, as diesel vehicles tend to be heavier, so you've got more mass to accelerate, decelerate, etc. and that wastes heat / BTUs / fuel.

But the larger question is cost / need / payback, etc. Putting aside the bettter torque of diesels and that advantage, I'd focus instead on the suspension, brakes, etc. - that's where towability comes from. Outside of on mountain grades, a diesel won't be much advantage to you. But beefy infrastructure will always pay off.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
AnnieD

Gas versus Diesel

No hassles or manly sounds with our 6.4 diesel.

100% reliable and quiet as a church mouse.

Get a diesel if you are planning on keeping it for a while.

When its time to trade - top Ł's

John in the UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	91601  
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have read on various threads about expensive normal maintenance on diesels. Perhaps some specifics on that would help Annie.

Gene
Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have read on various threads about expensive normal maintenance on diesels. Perhaps some specifics on that would help Annie.

Gene
Diesels are more expensive to maintain and the regular maint is a must. Filters must be changed at required intervals. My maint interval is 7,500 miles. My old car was 5,000.
I pay about $300 for the "small" visits and $450-600 for the big ones. This is the price for the extra power. ok torque.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Diesels are more expensive to maintain and the regular maint is a must. Filters must be changed at required intervals. My maint interval is 7,500 miles. My old car was 5,000.
I pay about $300 for the "small" visits and $450-600 for the big ones. This is the price for the extra power. ok torque.

thanks alot.
so what are the small visits? and what are the big visits?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
All I've done to my 7.3L Powerstroke is change the oil every 5k (15qts at about $12/gal so ~$50 in oil + $12 filter=$60-$65 per oil change if you DIY, which I do),the fuel filter once and it didn't even need it, and the air filter. I'm not sure why people think diesels cost more to maintain? Of course I've also changed the front and rear diff oil, transfer case oil and transmission fluid/filter change, but you need to do that with a gasser as well.

With a diesel you don't have any spark plugs to change, no plug wires to burn up on the headers, no ignition system, etc.

another thing I do, is try to only fill up at big rig truck stops. The fuel is usually fresher since they get more traffic, always a good thing. I've never (knock on wood) had a bad tank yet (ie water or other crap in it). I have a truck stop only about 10 min from my house so that is where I usually go.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #34

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
thanks alot.
so what are the small visits? and what are the big visits?
Small visits are 7,500, 15,000 22,500, 37,500, 45,000 ....
Big Visits are about every 30,000 miles. Lots of greasing, changing more than just oil. I forget the specifics. 60,000 was my last big one. About $600.

Since you have a heavier truck you will go through tires faster. Mine weights 8,100 lbs empty. It has topped out at it's max weight of 10,000 lbs.

Oil changes and Fuel filter changes can be a DIY job. If that is all that needs to be done I will do it myself unless it is -30 outside.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Small visits are 7,500, 15,000 22,500, 37,500, 45,000 ....
Big Visits are about every 30,000 miles. Lots of greasing, changing more than just oil. I forget the specifics. 60,000 was my last big one. About $600.

Since you have a heavier truck you will go through tires faster. Mine weights 8,100 lbs empty. It has topped out at it's max weight of 10,000 lbs.

Oil changes and Fuel filter changes can be a DIY job. If that is all that needs to be done I will do it myself unless it is -30 outside.
what you describe is maintenance on any 3/4 or larger truck--gasser or diesel.

Diesels typically have more oil capacity and require fuel filter changes more often, but other than that, maintenance is no different than any other heavy truck.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
The regular maintenance isn't what's expensive on a diesel. It's repairs. Most dealership service departments will rape you if your truck is an out-of-warranty diesel, even for minor repairs. Parts for diesels tend to be expensive as well, so even a reasonable mechanic may not always help things if you have major engine trouble.
On the positive side, even a 34' Airstream is not enough load to cause modern diesels to even break a sweat. So, most diesels are going to last a loooooong time towing one.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #37
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
i have NOT selected an AS just yet.... but it might be a heavy one...maybe 10K pounds plus if i decide on a 30ft.

i am starting to think about what truck to buy. whats your opinion for either gas or diesel ? and why?

i would love a dodge ram diesel but if gas is going to be a better bet for price that would be ok as well.

what do you think?

thanks

Diesel....

I wanted to make this a one word thread, just diesel. At this point, you are probably are no closer, go with what makes you happy. Flip a coin and if it is heads, it's Diesel and Tails its a gasser.

Now when you flip the coin, if it comes up tails and you like it or comes up heads and you don't, get a gasser. Conversely, if you flip and it comes up heads and you have that happy feeling, or tails and you are disappointed, go with the Diesel. This is a very scientific method which has solved 1000's of life altering decisions in our house.

I will say that a Diesel is really nice on big hills, heavy loads and gives a lot more choices in tow capacity. No whether that is true or not is a different story. But I really like having the Diesel. FWIW which is very little.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I could not afford to full-time without the diesel.....15mpg!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Mike and John... you guys are funny. thanks for that. what i really want is that cummins diesel. i have always loved the sound of it. LOL

but i dont know.... its all about what i should allow myself to spend as i really dont have unlimited money for ALL of this. LOL

i'll just have to see what AS i eventually buy and go from there.

thanks again for the chuckle.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Annie, maybe you should flip the coin about the trailer and see what's left over for a truck, though you could end up with a 34' Classic towed (not very far) by a 1970 Microbus.

Gene