Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
It is really important to check the particular f150 you want to buy. Mine with an ecoboost engine has a 2740lb payload and can pull 11000ib trailer. Since mine has gvwr of8300lb and the tongue weight is only 750lb I still have almost a ton of capacity. Granted the weight distribution uses some of that.
It is a supercab with 8foot box. Obviously not a popular combo
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
It is really important to check the particular f150 you want to buy. Mine with an ecoboost engine has a 2740lb payload and can pull 11000ib trailer.
Al
Sounds as if you have the "Max Payload Package" as well? - hard to find - I tried!

Not to be confused with the "Max Trailer Tow" package - to be found more easily.

Two different animals..........both great options.

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Yes I do. It is easy if you order from the dealer.
I am a contractor. Had to have supercab and 8 foot box.(drywall and plywood). Short boxes are for commuters!
Having trailer I had to have Max tow package.
That leaves you with not too many choices. Only engine offered with that combo is Ecoboost. That is how I got there. And I am very happy with it.
Most power I have ever had in a van or pickup. Heavy duty payload is automatic with Supercab and 8 foot box. But you can't get that combo in the fancier trim packages.
I think only in xl or xlt.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Yes I do.
Al

"Commuters" - Yeah, I work at a desk........but at home!......

Bet you have the 3.73 rear end as well.

Amazing how many folks focus on the "Max trailer poundage" advertised/promoted versus the payload..........which is the REAL limitation for 1/2 tons usually.

And, airbags / helper springs don't increase GVWR, they only "level" the load. Lots of test pilots out there.............

I think only Toyota(?) follows the SAE delineated tow rating parameters so far............

Guess I need to order up a Max Payload / Max Tow F-150 EcoBoost before the 2015 F series comes out............I love the EcoBoost, like a little diesel.

You can get the Max Payload on a EcoBoost - SuperCrew, but you have to get the 6.5' bed versus the 5.5' bed. But, my garage is too short, and my HOA is too..........

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
"Commuters" - Yeah, I work at a desk........but at home!......

Bet you have the 3.73 rear end as well.

Amazing how many folks focus on the "Max trailer poundage" advertised/promoted versus the payload..........which is the REAL limitation for 1/2 tons usually.

And, airbags / helper springs don't increase GVWR, they only "level" the load. Lots of test pilots out there.............

I think only Toyota(?) follows the SAE delineated tow rating parameters so far............

Guess I need to order up a Max Payload / Max Tow F-150 EcoBoost before the 2015 F series comes out............I love the EcoBoost, like a little diesel.

You can get the Max Payload on a EcoBoost - SuperCrew, but you have to get the 6.5' bed versus the 5.5' bed. But, my garage is too short, and my HOA is too..........
You will lose nothing when the new specs are out on F, G, and R (D). It will just be an additional performance based number which will put all MFRs on a level playing field for how much you can tow up a certain grade at a minimum speed, with A/C on...... You will have all the same CAPABILITY specs you have today for analyzing CAPIBILITY.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Max tow package compared to the regular tow package only gets you bigger mirrors.3:73 gears and a reinforced brace on the rear bumper.
You really need Max Payload Package also to pull a larger Airstream comfortably,which unfortunately most dealers refuse to order for stock inventory and it is only available in a long box .To top this off you can not get this in the upper level trim models and it is only available with funky wheels.None of the dealer personnel that I have spoke to even knew why anybody would want to order this option. Yet they can all tell you how many pounds the truck can pull.Very frustrating for a buyer.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
davcarv

The max trailer weight that you can tow means nothing.

You will exceed the max payload long before you get to the max trailer weight.
However the max payload is a difficult number to work with because you can't go to a scale and weigh the truck to see if you exceed it.

Set your sights on two specs- the truck gvwr (the maximum allowable weight of the truck) and the truck rear axle weight rating (the max allowable weight the rear axle can carry). Both can be measured at a truck scale.

For example, I have an 08 Tundra. The truck gvwr is 6,900 lbs, the rawr is 4,100 lbs. I am not going to use the following figures, but the payload is 1,680 lbs and the max tow rating is 10,600 lbs. When I load my truck including gas, wife, two dogs, small genny, bed cap, chairs, grill, tools, 2x8 planks and other stuff, and attach it to my 5,000 lb trailer I am essentially at the truck gvwr of 6,900 lbs. I am 200 lbs under the rawr of 4,100 lbs. Remember that my trailer weighs only 5,000 lbs. See why the max tow rating is meaningless.

I would read some of the threads defining the limitations of towing with a 1/2 ton vehicle, so you can make an informed decision on what trailer you want to buy.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

I am towing with a 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, with the two package, and could not be happier. My AS is a 1997 25' Excella Classic, and we are currently halfway on a trip from NC to the Grand Canyon and back. The truck has performed flawlessly, and pulled the AS out of the Palo Duro Canyon ( 1 mile, 10% grade) without any trouble at all. It rides like a luxury car and seems to be doing just great!
jmichaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Moflash and 7GenTex: the option is called "HD Payload" if you are looking to order it. It comes with those particular wheels because it has 7-lug hubs and 17" E-rated tires. You know, like a truck or something.

Lariat is the highest trim you can order with HD Payload, and I think you won't find it in a short enough truck for the short garage unless perhaps the short cab long box fits. HOA won't let you park outside eh? HOAs are a boil on the buttocks of American society.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Thanks but I traded my F150 for a F350 6.7 turbo diesel supercrew and it came with 20i inch wheels and they are truck wheels .....hmmm
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
davcarv

Set your sights on two specs- the truck gvwr (the maximum allowable weight of the truck) and the truck rear axle weight rating (the max allowable weight the rear axle can carry). Both can be measured at a truck scale.

Good luck, Dan
Dan,

Couldn't agree more...well maybe "not all that relevant" is how I'd put it.

Been trying to get GAWR out there for years as an important limiting number.

POI...check the build sheet for your AS, compare axle spec's to GVWR, you may be surprised. I was with our 03 Classic.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08051.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	195565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build Sheet 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	195566  

Old 09-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Aren't the prices of a maxed out F-150 more than a nicely equipped F-250/350? If you need more truck buy more truck.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
davcarv

You will exceed the max payload long before you get to the max trailer weight.

For example, I have an 08 Tundra. The truck gvwr is 6,900 lbs, the rawr is 4,100 lbs. I am not going to use the following figures, but the payload is 1,680 lbs and the max tow rating is 10,600 lbs. When I load my truck including gas, wife, two dogs, small genny, bed cap, chairs, grill, tools, 2x8 planks and other stuff, and attach it to my 5,000 lb trailer I am essentially at the truck gvwr of 6,900 lbs. I am 200 lbs under the rawr of 4,100 lbs. Remember that my trailer weighs only 5,000 lbs. See why the max tow rating is meaningless.
Sorry but I don't see the max trailer weight as meaningless. My Lariat ecoboost is rated to tow 11,300 lbs. Of course that is with the truck empty with no added accesories. One driver at 150 lbs and full tank of gas is included. Payload capacity is 1755 lbs., so subtract the hitch weight and you have the amount of weight you can add to the payload in gear and people. This then needs to be subtracted from the trailer weight as well. But by loading gear into your trailer and carefully monitoring the placement you can affect the weight distribution in the trailer as long as you don't exceed the GWR of the trailer. So I have no problem towing a 7300 lb trailer without exceeding hitch weight or payload. You can not make blanket statements solely based upon what your Toyota can do and what you personally pack.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Sorry but I don't see the max trailer weight as meaningless. My Lariat ecoboost is rated to tow 11,300 lbs. Of course that is with the truck empty with no added accesories. One driver at 150 lbs and full tank of gas is included. Payload capacity is 1755 lbs., so subtract the hitch weight and you have the amount of weight you can add to the payload in gear and people. This then needs to be subtracted from the trailer weight as well. But by loading gear into your trailer and carefully monitoring the placement you can affect the weight distribution in the trailer as long as you don't exceed the GWR of the trailer. So I have no problem towing a 7300 lb trailer without exceeding hitch weight or payload. You can not make blanket statements solely based upon what your Toyota can do and what you personally pack.
Hear, Hear! Also, sometimes we here get blinders on relative to our pretty narrow view of the towing world...ASes. Boaters, for example, can easily approach GCWR without arriving at RGAWR.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have recently run the numbers (max towing, GVWR, GRAWR) on every American made 1/2 ton truck looking for a way I could pull our trailer, and haul all the "stuff" we normally haul, and do it within the numbers, irrespective of the way they do it in Canada.

My findings were the max size Airstream I could safely tow, and stay within manufacturer's weight specs, is a 25 footer, generally speaking.

Yes, I know some of you tow larger and heavier trailers successfully with a 1/2 ton, but, 1. You may not haul as much stuff as we normally do, and 2. You actually may not be within the number specs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to tow with.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, wait for the 6.2, Max Tow specs this fall on Silverado/Sierra. There will be a gain in rgawr as well as a hint of more spring capacity. It gets a little larger gear set as well.

Also, I imagine the all 2015 F150 will boost their capacities to compete.

I THINK these trucks MAY make a 30'er, with toys a real possibility.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Steve, wait for the 6.2, Max Tow specs this fall on Silverado/Sierra. There will be a gain in rgawr as well as a hint of more spring capacity. It gets a little larger gear set as well.

Also, I imagine the all 2015 F150 will boost their capacities to compete.

I THINK these trucks MAY make a 30'er, with toys a real possibility.
That's a good thing because the current differential that us old hotrodders call an "8 bolt", is the weakest thing in the drive train in the current 1/2 ton trucks.

Hope the axles and wheel bearings are improved as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
These discussions on 1/2 ton truck capabilities is like talking to the wall at times.As Steve also points out.Payload is not just determined by just spring rates.There are many other critical parts on a vehicle that come into play when attempting pull a large Airstream trailer across the country.The automakers trend of advertising overinflated tow ratings along with uninformed salespeople and sales managers make for a dangerous combination for the customer that buys a new vehicle thinking they have made the right choice.There are many differences between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 or 1ton.
Some trucks are built for light duty use and some are built to do more its that simple.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robert Cross- Yup, "not all that relevant" would have been a much better way to put it than "meaningless".

mojo- I am not sure what your point is. My Tundra is probably typical of the payload capacity for 1/2 ton trucks, and I don't think I carry much more in my truck than the average Airstreamer. My point is that I am at the truck limit with a small trailer. I don't know where you are concerning gvwr or rawr with your 7,300 lb trailer. You may be close to the limit or you may be way under, but your trailer weighs 4,000 lbs less than the max tow rating of 11,300 lbs. Have you weighed your truck at a scale?

My point is that the average rv'er will buy your truck and figure he can load it up with people and all his stuff and then tow an 11,300 lb trailer. We both know that he will be way over the TV gvwr and the rawr.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #40
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The point is, I could tow an additional 2245 lbs. ie: a much longer, heavier trailer and the ecoboost can pull it. And that's meaningful to me.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote