Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #533
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
With a significant tailwind I got 15.4 between Titusville, FL and Florida City, FL with my Ecoboost 2013 F150 towing a 28ft International. Usual mpg varies between 11 and 13. Better, but not by much then my previous truck, a 5.7 ltr. V8 Tundra.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I was at the Toyota/Ford dealer today because my Tundra needs an alignment every 92,000 miles and they had a 2014 F150 EB Platinum edition for $55,000. I think there's one with a longer bed—this one had a 5.5' bed, so I guess you can order the long bed if you want. They had a 2014 Tundra Platinum 5.8 liter for a few thousand less a couple of weeks ago. These are Airstream prices. At those prices my '07 Tundra looks really good for several more years.

Gene

Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #535
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Out of curiosity did you price a 2014 Tundra? Between the two the F150 would win hands down as a TV.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #536
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I will just live with my used junk. All my stuff is paid for. Take that to the bank.

Perry

I share the same thoughts!

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #537
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I think that anything close to 50k for a 1/2 ton TV is nuts. I paid 25k for my 1/2 ton Tundra new in 08. It still looks and runs new. I would only change TV to get more payload, meaning 3/4 ton.

Dan
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #538
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
All I can say is my EB is truly a beast! I can pull my A/S 25FB, Free Balling, up hill 10% grade at 10,000 feet with the cruise set on 65 mph.... no problem... no noise, she just goes. Yes with the 6 speed trans I don't even need the 3.73, my 2011 EB had the 3.55 and that was plenty... (I wanted the huge mirrors and was forced to get the 3.73 ratio on my 2013) you get the great ride in the F-150, all the sophisticated electronic stabilization systems. Don't have to bother with def, or high price Diesel. I have the 6.5' bed, 4X4.... I get a great ride pulling or solo...in fact pulling I don't even know my A/S is in tow.... and quiet, you start in the AM and you can't hear it.... you will not wake your neighbors. The price of an oil change and maintenance is a fraction of a oil burner.... it is truly a beast... 16mpg solo, 10 towing... I can buy a lot of cheap gas compared to the crazy price of Diesel, and don't have to take but a few bucks out of my pocket for an oil change, every 15k miles...$22 bucks compared to hundreds of dollars every 7K miles. I got rid of my 2011 F-250 after 6 months of ownership and got the EB.... I have never looked back.... I truly believe the EB has more power. I bet I were to do the math the EB is truly more economical to operate then the oil burner.....
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #539
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If the EB continues to be reasonably reliable and the cost of operation stays down then it will surely go down in history as a very good engine.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #540
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Iím new to posting on this thread but have read thru it to glean helpful information people have been posting about their EB F-150ís. I thought Iíd post my experience in my search for TVís for my Airstream. I have been towing for the last 10 years with a 2004 Chevy Avalanche 8.1L with 4.10 rear axle ratio. I was interested in trading this in after 125K miles to get caught up with all the new technology in todayís vehicles. I had no problems with this vehicle towing my 2005 28í CCD. It has been a very capable and comfortable TV!

My needs were this:
Had to fit in my garage (248Ē) (my Avalanche was 220íĒ)(Ford CC 6.5í bed 243Ē)
Exterior color silver
Tow rating of at least 11,000#
GVWR was a big concern but I really didnít know what I needed (my Avalanche had 8400# GVWR)
Gas powered
Comfortable ride for long trips and most of the convenience items we need for our aging bodies.

I liked the Ford because the GVWR was higher than Chevy, GMC, and Ram with the Max Tow Pkg (7700#). I could not find any vehicles with Max Payload Package that would up the GVWR to 8200#. The ride in the Ford is much more comfortable than I remember before when I tried it.

After exhaustive online builds and inventory searches to match my needs, I finally resorted to see if my local Ford dealer could find the vehicle I wanted. Voila! They were able to find a new 2013 Ford 150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab with the 157Ē WB and 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio, Max Tow Pkg (no Heavy Duty Payload Pkg) within 250 miles. I decided to buy it. They wanted $500 over dealer invoice plus $3000 rebate, and $1500 bonus for my trade-in. I thought this was a fair price. It actually has more options than I wanted: off-road package, side bed steps, rear bed step.

I took my new truck to an after-market dealer to have a Roll-X tonneau cover and rubber bed mat installed. I loaded the TV with all the usual camping paraphernalia and took it to a scale to see what it weighed. Wow 6650# with a full tank of gas (36gal). That left only 1050#. So I hooked up the ďTwinkieĒ and took it across the scale. My TV weighed 7700#, my trailer weighed 5500#. I didnít unhook and weigh the tongue. Does this mean my tongue weight was 1050#? My Airstream was well within the 7300 GVWR at 6550#, but I didnít have any water, food, or clothing in it. So the tongue weight may be even higher with those additions.
Iím well within the combined GVWR of TV and trailer of 17,100# (Iím at 14,250#)

There have been many posts regarding the limitations of F-150ís and the GVWR on this thread. It seems to ring true with my experience as well. So my concerns are the fact that Iím maxed out with the GVWR on the TV (without my spouse and small dog guessing another 150#). How critical will that be for the wear and tear on the PU? What do they do on Heavy Duty Payload Package vehicles to increase GVWR to 8200#? Add more springs? Wouldnít this make the ride rougher?

I took it out and adjusted the brake controller to 7.0 gain as the proper setting. I did a short 15 mile roundtrip to get the feel of the tow ability of the new PU. It seems to be quite capable and comfortable!
Looking forward to our first camping trip to try everything and report further how itís all working out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	210513  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 04-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #541

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm View Post
I
~~
What do they do on Heavy Duty Payload Package vehicles to increase GVWR to 8200#? Add more springs? Wouldnít this make the ride rougher?

~~
I don't know if they change the springs, but they DO use a different rear axle and front hubs. HD Payload comes with 7-lug hubs, 17" 7-lug wheels and load-range E tires. The differential with the 7-lug hubs is a 3.73:1 ratio limited-slip unit, not the e-locker 3.73 on the Max Tow trucks without HD Payload.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #542
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
HD payload pkg

Thanks DKB,

I did look up the specs for HD payload pkg. In addition to your listing it does say they put on HD shock absorbers, upgraded springs, radiator, and auxiliary transmission cooler, 9.75 gear set?, LT245 - 75R17E BSW all terrain tires. I'm sure the ride would be stiffer and not as comfortable.

I wonder if I can at least get upgraded tires from P to E rated and if this will make at least some difference in payload rating? I'll call my dealer to see if this can be done.

Thanks again for your input.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #543
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Pushed around......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
When towing, with my 2013 F150 twin turbo, we get pushed around when ever a tractor trailer rig passes us. We also can feel it whenever a large sedan passes us going the same direction.

Though I love my EcoBoost SuperCrew - it is the "twitchiest" handling pickup I have ever had. Trailer attached or not................
Old 04-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #544
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
jordandvm.......I have the same problem (lack of payload capacity) I am 400lbs. over on my drive axle. Talked to several Ford Parts Dept. people and they said I should not worry about it. Not really that much over weight. Seriously looking at the 2015's as they should be about 700lbs. lighter plus will double check the payload capacity before I buy. I figure my tongue weight being around 1000lbs. (Flying Cloud 25). BTW my tires are rated for 4000lbs so no problem there.

Labigdogs.....I had a pleasant conversation with the owner of a Ford dealer and he did not recommend the diesel because of high maintenance cost, higher fuel bills and higher initial cost to buy.

My EchoBeast is the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #545
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
Smile F150 EB performance

I love my F150 EB SuperCab with a 5.5 ft. bed and would like to share my experience pulling my 30' Classic. We now have 6000 miles pulling our unit and the F150 EB is a great product and I believe Ford got it right this time.

Here are the key things that make the match right!

1. Heavy duty tow package, which has a 17,340 GVWR vehicle. My combination weighs in at 15,530 Lbs.
2. Good equalizer hitch!
3. Firestone air bags to damper the up and down oscillation of bumpy roads.
4. For best fuel performance keep it in the 60 to 70 mph tow speed. I avg. 21+ not in tow and 10 to 13 in tow.

The engine has the power for grades and tipically we are passing the diesel rigs in the mountains on the steep grades.

Happy travels!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #546
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A few things—I did not compare the EB and the Tundra directly as to size of cab or bed, but was only pointing out that $50 K and more is a lot of money for a pickup and "platinum", 'limited" or "superduperdiamond" trim lines seem crazy to me. The Tundra was few thousand less than the EB, but I'm not sure if they compared well, though they seemed close—both "platinum", large cab (but they're are usually 2 versions), medium size bed, tow package. I don't think you get a lot more for those top trim lines, but you pay a premium for it. I guess they figure anyone who wants to have everything possible is willing to pay a lot for it. Maybe they are the only ones with leather, but a lot of the seat cover is vinyl and not leather now, but you pay as if it were all leather. These trucks are almost double what we paid in '07 for a reasonable well equipped truck. But cars and truck are selling well now and they are going to be difficult about price.

I am glad to see the EB is working out so far. I'm not a Ford fan, but any truck that gets better gas mileage sounds good to me. I believe they have lowered the highway mileage rating for the EB to reflect reality, but it still is a lot better than normally aspirated V8's. I am still concerned how this engine will hold up after 100,000 miles, but it will take some more years to find out. There are surely some people with well over 100,000 miles of them by now, but it is probably too small a sample to rely on.

Our '07 Tundra has done very well and is now at 92,000 miles. It handles, rides and performs like new. I'd like a new truck, but I'd like a lot of things that don't make much sense. I'm hoping gas mileage keeps improving (though Toyota doesn't seem to care about the Tundra's poor mileage). By the time we're ready to buy a new truck, I'm sure we'll avoid the superduperdiamond models and get something more reasonable. If Toyota has not dealt with the poor mileage issue, then we'll look elsewhere. Reliability is a big issue for us—why pay so much for a truck with problems?—and Toyota still pretty much leads in truck reliability. From what I've seen in the last few posts, the Tundra has a higher payload than some EB's, also an important issue. I think any time you go below 1,500 lbs. payload, you are looking for trouble. The more weight, the more wear, and when you exceed payload, at some point you are going to have a lot more wear to the suspension, differential, transmission and engine. If you only keep the truck 50,000 miles, probably someone else will suffer the cost of the extra wear (then it becomes a moral question).

It seems like the EB's have been pretty reliable according to those reporting here. Consumer Reports disagrees, but I think CR said the electronic stuff was not well received by owners and was hurting Ford's reliability rating. This has happened with a number of companies—electronics most people don't understand, are hard to use (except for a 9 year old) and break a lot. The more expensive the trim line, the more electro-gadgets.

Gene

Tags
ecoboost, f-150