Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ/GA. . . I too read the blurb about using premium when towing, so that's what I do. I'm only getting 16 to 17 mpg NOT towing (10k on the odo), so now with the price of Premium, I'm pretty much back to the costs per mile of my V10 gas F-250. Never old to learn stuff I guess, disappointing lesson this......,Regards, Craig

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #254
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
who else has had this actual experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
...no problem until the last 10 miles to home. Going up a steep grade, the Ecoboost started to shudder like it was missing, the CEL came on and started blinking and the truck went into limp mode. Finally pulled over and within 30 seconds the light stop blinking and everything was alright to get home. Ford dealer checked it on the computer and it did not show any fault codes.
same thing happened to me at 1 month, 900 miles new. still happens occasionally on foggy nights.... yes, foggy nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
mojo, i also had that shudder. in my case it was coming out of a rest area heading up a grade. to me it felt more like i was not in the right gear but the dash showed normal shifts. my cel also came on and went off about 30 miles later after a second stop at a rest area to give a look and listen under the hood.
dealer can only say that "Ford engineering is aware of the problem... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
We have a 2011 Ecoboost. We have been using regular gas. Strangely enough we seem to be having our trouble with the engine missing and the transmission shifting roughly when not towing the trailer. We have taken it to the dealer once and they could not find anything wrong. Their possible explanation was that it will take a while for the computer to figure things out when the vehicle is towing vs. when it is not towing.
more BS.

the truck otherwise runs like a bear, but the gas mileage varies with no rhyme or reason sometimes.

dealer service swears they can find nothing else.

our sixth F150 in 15 years, and the only one that's ever behaved badly!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #255
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Are you saying you dyno'd the truck with and without super and it made no difference? Or are you talking about fuel mileage rather than horsepower? I wouldn't expect to see a huge mileage difference except in a situation where the truck is producing close to the max output for a big fraction of the tank. The difference would be in the hp the engine can produce, especially in a high-temperature/high load condition.
the NYS Thruway is my surrogate dyno....

no perceptible performance or gas mileage diff with premium fuel, with the trailer, without the trailer.

it will, however, cruise all day long quite comfortably at xx mph, though!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ecoboost performance

I have posted prior that we had a 25' FB AS and traded it for a 30' FC. We also have a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, set for towing - 3.73 rear, 6.5 bed, HD all. The truck towed the 25' like a dream, achieved up to 12 MPG no issue on any hill, nver dropped to 4th gear and felt very stable.

We towed the 30' home and then the next day on a one night two hour test. The truck CAN tow the 30', no issue towing except milage dropped to 10 mpg, and on even the slightest incline down to 5th and often to 4th gear. Plus the truck felt very loose. We increased our Reese bars from 800# to 1,100# or maybe 1,200# I have to check.

Due to my overly cautious wife of 44 years we ordered a Ford F250 6.7 Diesel with all towing options available including the 10,000# payload package. I am petty confident this vehicle will do the job with the only issue possibly being too stiff and too "much truck".

My Best

Bud
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Even as an avid Ford fan I have to report that there have been some major problems with the Ecoboost(EB). I have a close friend with a 2012 EB and has had an issue with the shudder, no power, bad mileage and it continues today. She has had her EB back to the dealer many times; had the plugs changes, reflashed the latest computer program from Ford and so on. She is looking at the Lemon Law to get her out. Apparently the real problem is that Ford designed a much larger intercooler for the F-150 EB over the passenger car version. In doing so, the intercooler condensates (especially in high humid areas, fog, etc) to the point that when it is floored, it sucks the water accumulated in the intercooler, into the engine, thus the sputtering, shutter, etc. This will also ruin your injectors, spark plugs, etc. Ford has no real anser to this problem. If you own an EB, then you should stay tuned to www.fordtrucks.com and watch the Ecoboost subject posts. On another note, Truck Trend magazine did a test of the new V-8 trucks and the 5.0 Ford V-8 was getting 23 mpg while towing a horse trailer loaded for the rodeo, not bad.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #258
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
On another note, Truck Trend magazine did a test of the new V-8 trucks and the 5.0 Ford V-8 was getting 23 mpg while towing a horse trailer loaded for the rodeo, not bad.Pap
Wow, do you have the link to that article. Would like to read all about it. thnxs
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Here's the link. I am mistaken as it was 23 mpg but not towing. Memory fart. Still not bad for a V-8.

Cowboys and Pickups - Truck Trend
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
One more thing, and it's just me venting a little; I personally would not consider the Ecoboost (EB) if I was interested in an F-150 as a tow rig. For the most part, anytime you have a twin turbo setup you are looking at a potential breakdown issue the more miles you put on the engine. Figure twice as many potential items to go wrong; turbo bearings, moisture issues, turbo blades, intercooler boot failures, etc. That's one reason I went with my V-10, was simplicity and proven longivity. The same can be said for the Ford 5.0 V-8 which has been in many of Fords vehicles including about a jillion Mustangs. I don't hear of many issues with the 5.0. The new 6.2 V-8 has yet to be proven to be a long lasting gas engine but all reports are good so far. I just don't see the EB as being a long winded engine and one that will last 200,000 miles without some major repairs.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #261

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm not arguing your point about more complexity bringing more potential for problems, but the Coyote 5.0 is a brand-new engine. It's not the 4.9-called-5.0 of long service in the Ford line.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #262
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Quote:
anytime you have a twin turbo setup you are looking at a potential breakdown issue the more miles you put on the engine. Figure twice as many potential items to go wrong; turbo bearings, moisture issues, turbo blades, intercooler boot failures, etc.
Pap
I can think of one reason this statement is true, and another as why it is false. Look at the diesel world. There hasnt been a non-turbo diesel since the mid 90s and diesels are notorious for running forever, most without a turbo replacement.

On the other hand:
I read consumer reports every now and again. One thing that is pretty consistant is a car can be one of the top ranking cars for relaibility (such as Volvos and Subarus) but they always have a side note on some models: (Except Turbo). Meaning it was reliable if it wasnt turbocharged.

I have a feeling the latter statement will be more true since this is a gas engine and not diesel.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
As a former turbo diesel owner, a very good 7.3, I had my turbo rebuilt at 97k at a shop that only rebuilt turbo's located in Phoenix. I asked him about turbos in general on all vehicles, and his retort was that turbos fail no matter the situation for various reasons. The rest of the engine may be fine and only need a turbo rebuilt, but the failure factor of turbos in general is widely known. Most stock turbos from the factory on small diesels and gassers do not use ball bearings, so most high performance diesel engine hot shots all replace their turbos with a ball bearing turbo. That's just one situation. This one problem with the Ford EB is mostly a problem of excess moisture going through the turbo into the engine/spark plugs. My friend has almost been rear-ended 4 times when she floored her EB getting on to the interstate and it fell on it's face. If you read the Ford Truck Forum on EB's, you will discover a large problem that Ford still has no real fix. Too bad, I was really hoping for a home run. I do hear the new Ford designed diesel is kicking butt. Again we'll have to see how it does after 200k +.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #264
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I do hear the new Ford designed diesel is kicking butt. Again we'll have to see how it does after 200k +.

Pap
I've been sort of crusing the dealer lots lately looking for a good deal, and the other day spotted a 2012 F250 Diesel Demo unit. Stopped and took it for a test drive.

The first thing I noticed was it seemed to be two foot higher in the air than my GMC. Why is that? Their both four wheel drive. It did drive nice, did ride nice, and it was the King Ranch version so it WAS a nice truck. The engine seemed smooth, and was very quiet, but it did not seem to have as much power at my '08 Duramax, and I did stand on it a couple of times.

One more thing that was the deal killer for me....Ford still has not improved the seats. Still the short bottom that hits your leg about four inches from the knee...like sitting on a stadium bench.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You might also look at the weight of the Ford F-250/350 vs their competitors, and you will find that the Ford is quite a bit heavier than the others. Reason is their components are heavier. Dodge for example is a very popular diesel rig here in the oil patch, but the first thing the pipeline welders do is weld on another plate along the frame to keep it from bending something Ford doesn't need. Chevy front ends are prone to failure in heavy duty use. Of course, for an around town rig that tows an RV once in a while, not to worry, but it's nice to know when you get down and dirty, your truck will last. The F-150 has a great reputation and has been the #1 1/2 ton pickup for many years and there's a reason for that. And they didn't need any stimulus money to keep them that way.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #266
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The first thing I noticed was it seemed to be two foot higher in the air than my GMC. Why is that? Their both four wheel drive. It did drive nice, did ride nice, and it was the King Ranch version so it WAS a nice truck. The engine seemed smooth, and was very quiet, but it did not seem to have as much power at my '08 Duramax, and I did stand on it a couple of times.

One more thing that was the deal killer for me....Ford still has not improved the seats. Still the short bottom that hits your leg about four inches from the knee...like sitting on a stadium bench.
GM has IFS...lower step in height, but still greatest ground clearance (if that matters to you) and highest current payload capacity (1 ton SRW).

Apparently the truck magazines have noted the difference in power also as GM is ahead in all of the towing tests.

Seat comfort is subjective, but many Folks like GM for the ride quality/comfort.

The Duramax/Alli is a tough combo to beat...ours has been bullet proof.

Bill

Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150