Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
The real sad thing is that if you want a brand-new 3/4 ton SUV then you have only one choice and that's the Chevy Suburban and even there you can only get the 6.0L gas. Granted, it's got the chevy-made 6 speed automatic which makes a small gasser today perform like the old, big gassers of previous years. But, you'd think that with the Duramax / Allison combo rolling off the same production line that they'd do like Ford (did) and pump out some Duramax/Allison 3/4 ton suburbans. That might give me justification alone to take out a loan on a new TV.

Granted, the 1/2 ton offerings (Expedition, Suburban/Tahoe) are up to 10k lbs towing and the 6 speed autos. do just fine to tow. But, other things like suspension, tires, length suffer. The again there's people out there towing 30-footers with Xterras and SUVs from Mercedes, BMW, etc. It's all in what you're comfortable with and how good a hitch you have I guess. Given that I tow other trailers (flatbed, equipment trailers, etc), it's a must to have the wheelbase, ample power, and brakes of the Ex. The AS brakes are fine, but I can't say as much for my tandem flatbed which is where the Ex. really helps to bring things to a stop.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I had a lovely spark plug blow-out issue last Feb which cost me another $1000. Sounds like a lot, but considering I do not have a monthly payment to a bank for it, to me it sounds very reasonable for what it does with regards to towing the AS all over the place.
As far as im concerned ford owes you a thousand dollars, that was a hidden time bomb. Ford engineers are not that stupid!!!! But they are smart enough to inject a problem that will appear at 100k mi and be easy money for their stealerships.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We've owned two Ex's, drove/towed many thousands of miles, and loved them both. We would have bought a third but they stopped making them. Great TV, great family carrier, awesome machines IMHO.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
As far as im concerned ford owes you a thousand dollars, that was a hidden time bomb. Ford engineers are not that stupid!!!! But they are smart enough to inject a problem that will appear at 100k mi and be easy money for their stealerships.
There's many other people out there who agree with you. I think that in CA there's a pending class action lawsuit against Ford for the spark plug issue. Bottom line is that yeah, it's a lousy design. BUT it's an OK design as long as whomever replaces the plugs knows how to handle these special applications. Most people do not know nor do they take the time to read-up on the proper procedure. Obviously someone in the past with my Ex before I bought it did their own work. I know there's some that claim their plugs shot out without ever being serviced...I cannot refute nor back up such claims.

I paid the $600 to have the one hole fixed and then paid the extra $400 to have them check all the other holes and replace all the plugs and install them correctly. Either way, I still have no payments on the vehicle, so $2000 total in non-maintenance type stuff is OK by me.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thank you all for your comments (keep 'em coming). The anecdotes and personal experiences are especially helpful.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I paid the $600 to have the one hole fixed and then paid the extra $400 to have them check all the other holes and replace all the plugs and install them correctly. Either way, I still have no payments on the vehicle, so $2000 total in non-maintenance type stuff is OK by me.
But you could of put new axles under your camper with that money.

Dont assume im a ford basher, gm installs time bombs too. All this is fuel for the rice burner lovers.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
But you could of put new axles under your camper with that money.

Dont assume im a ford basher, gm installs time bombs too. All this is fuel for the rice burner lovers.
I had to smile reading that...I put new axles under my AS last winter. Spent about $500.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Airstream 66 asked about a 5.4 engine with the Excursion. There are a few Ex's 2x4 with those motors. They are real slugs, about like F-250's with the same motor.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
I had to smile reading that...I put new axles under my AS last winter. Spent about $500.
I also put new ones on my AS. Spent $3000 with shipping

Al
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Which axles did you go for? That sounds very reasonable.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Which axles did you go for? That sounds very reasonable.
I knew this would turn in to an axle discussion if I even mentioned it. Axles are viral on here.

I bought mine from Axis. They were drop-shipped to a local Estes freight terminal and I had to pick them up there. I bought them without brakes, too. I re-used my old ones as they were in good shape.

If you by the Henchens and have them fully decked-out (brakes, drums) and shipped to your doorstep then yeah, you're lookin' at $3000.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks. sorry we co-opted the thread!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We are now looking for a used Excursion. keep up the discussion please. Will the v-10 gasser Last? Or should we look for the big deisel only?

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
The best advice I can give is to check AutoTrader and scroll waaaaayyyy down in the pages until you get to the non-premium ads. Some private sellers buck-up for the premium ads, but many don't. There is no way that I have found (last time I used AutoTrader) to get to the "standard" ads without clicking later in the pages. I found my Ex. this way. No bold print, only one pic. The guy had it up there for 3 weeks with no bites. $6500 w/ 106k miles. I couldn't get the check cut fast enough. I offered to send the guy a deposit; he refused, took my word, and he kept his. I flew down to VA, he met me at the airport, did the transaction there, I drove away and he hopped in another car w/ his wife and they went home.

BTW...good choice to upgrade, Mike. I remember seeing your extended cab chevy (1500 I recall???) at Detroit-Metro and I wondered how you and the family all fit in there + pulled the Sovereign. When the girls get bigger you'll be in dire need of more room. Andrea and I + the boys + all the &^@&*^@ we take with us tends to fill up the Ex.