Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 03:15 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Well guys, I made the move last night. GMC, Denali, 2500 diesel, 4x4, crew cab 6.6 bed. I'm going to miss my 8' bed and being technology challenged, I'll be reading the manual quite a bit. Pictures to follow. Thanks for the feed back to all.

>>ron<<
Old 07-31-2015, 05:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Lovettsville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine
you had a NON-powerstroke 7.3L; most people here are referring to the 1994-2002 PowerStroke versions.

You're absolutely correct. Although I'm not educated on the aftermarket addition of a turbo to a non-turbo a.k.a. IDI 7.3L, I do know there were a lot of differences.

I'm a faithful 7.3L Powerstroke owner, but I'm not so ignorant I'd say that its the perfect engine. Maybe its the best one Ford has had in its line-up. Maybe its not. I, along with a lot of others, have had a couple of problems. I've had the CPS issue cause engine stalls at highway speeds, but a quick $20 fix and I was happy. I've had the HPOP leak and require replacement; they're expensive ~$700. I've had a leaking oil cooler that allowed oil to leak into the coolant; that was a messy job to clean up, but fairly cheap ~$50. Other than those things, with almost 190K miles and averaging about 18MPG, I've very happy with the 7.3L and the truck as a whole. I wish Ford would go back to it.
85 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Diego , California
I have that exact model less 4x4 and LOVE it!!! Comfortable and built for towing. It could even tow a house. Zero issues! Everything I've read said that they finally got it right with the 2012/6.7 engine.
Tuna Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Every diesel truck species has a potential problem no matter the maker. That's one reason I went with a gas engine, plus, as mentioned above, the fellow "took a beating" when he traded for a new one. Very few diesel owners keep their rig over the 100,000 mile warranty, another reason to consider a gas rig since the extra $8,500 for the diesel engine doesn't compute until way over 100k miles. Between the extra diesel engine costs, extra maintenance costs and potential for fuel problems, a gasser works for me.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post

Wow, they finally found something to crow about over the Ford Super Duty, the most popular 3/4 and 1 ton truck in America. Congratulations.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 07-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
Exactly.How many miles? (on either/both)I'd love a Cummins.. engine physics, inline 6 has 120° of return of power on each stroke vs 90° on a V8 (v8's really are handicapped for torque/cu in) but they package nicely... if only the Cummins didn't have to be wrapped in the sheet metal of a Dodge.. erm, I mean RAM. I still find it stupid that they spun off the truck line and pretend that it is a new manufacturer; seems like something a company would do to bury skeletons, why ditch the heritage of the Dodge Brothers?

According to an acquaintance, he said not to buy any newer than 2007, claimed the power and mpg were both decreased due to regulations. He plans on 'downgrading' from his 2012 as soon as he finds a decent 2005-2007. Of course Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).
My 2011 had 159k miles on it when I traded it in. I did have issues before the 100k like DEF pump, 4wd hub seizing, all the ball joints replaced in front , multiple engines sensors, three transmission reprogramming and many other annoying, time consuming down time items. Big issues started after 100k. Two more EGRs, two more DEF pumps, constant sensor failures, transmission down shifts harsh, cooling fan clutch, water pump, radiator blow out, two injectors, reginerstive exhaust catalytic converter thingy, and turbo waste gate. The last two and a half years I spent approx. $25k on maintenance. Yes the money killed me but the real issues I had were the following: time to get in line for service for a certified Ford diesel mechanic (always a week wait), Ford dealers don't carry these parts at dealerships anymore ( then they have to order), two of the DEF pump failures requires 2 and 3 week order times due to backlog of failures, exhaust system 2 week down time, cooling fan 4 weeks (Diagnostic computers said it was sensors causing problems, NOT), turbo stuff ( you might as well have put a gun to my head). I purchased 5 trucks from my Dodge/Ford dealer they felt very bad about what was going on and did help out some. They did help me in writing and emailing on three separate occasions to Ford, including the Pres. of Ford. Never received one acknowledgement! Lastly service cost: you still have to take any truck's body apart to get to almost anything on a large V8 diesel stuffed in a small truck. Labor costs are about half my cost. You can still look under the hood of a RAM/Dodge and see concrete:-)

Sorry about the rant but I am not exaggerating my facts. Yes, I am sure I had a first year run lemon so did the dealer. I came very close to pulling legally the lemon law and this was the only time Ford would react to get me back on the road but never was sympathetic to my ongoing issues or ever replied to my concerns.

I think all the diesel trucks are good and bad. But when you baby them and you get this kind of results you have to wonder.

This time I bought for the first time a very long extended manufacture warranty that will cover these high dollar items and labor.
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Ford wasn't the only one to have issues with the DEF system and it was true back in 2008 when all diesels had to go with a re-gen feature; mega problems for the big 3. If you live in cold country, the DEF system is still prone to have problems with freezing up and engine then goes into limp mode. Winter fuel issues also are a factor.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 07-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Well guys, I made the move last night. GMC, Denali, 2500 diesel, 4x4, crew cab 6.6 bed. I'm going to miss my 8' bed and being technology challenged, I'll be reading the manual quite a bit. Pictures to follow. Thanks for the feed back to all.

>>ron<<
Congrats on the purchase, it should suit you well.

My neighbor has a 2014 Chevrolet with 6.6L and loves it, so much more quiet and smooth compared to his previous 2007.

Now for some gently ribbing...

here's your sign. (attached below)
Duramax --wikipedia.org
Quote:
The Duramax is a General Motors diesel engine family for light-and medium duty trucks, designed by GM and Isuzu.
FWIW, we use some small 4 cyl Isuzu inline diesels at work and each motor comes with two of these chrome plated decals, we don't use them. But if you want/need one; just let me know. The one pictured is hanging on the back of my shop door.

Regarding fuel, I also like to buy from high volume retailers. In the Summer there is one retailer in Fargo that sells blended #2/Biodiesel I like to run a tank or two of that through the system; the forum members at PowerStroke.org claim it is the best injector cleaner money can buy. I experienced no benefit in MPG or power. But I experienced no loss either, so I'll keep doing it.

I'm not poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I am cheap and previously ASE certified in enough things; that not only can I do my own work, I LIKE to do my own work. I get cranky when I have to pay somebody to do work that I am capable of doing myself. I really don't know much about 2003 diesels, my older brother has a love affair with is fleet (4 or 5) 7.3L trucks, when I have questions regarding them, I call him.

For my own purposes, I am always watching out for a '67-79 F250 CCSB that I'll convert to a MPFI/Turbo/300/ZF5spd.

Trucks is trucks:
Shop around, research common failures, prep yourself for those common failures.

And then drive what you like, or what you can put up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2934.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	244327  
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
She's HOME!!! GM' after much research and eliminating Ford because of the 27 gal tank and the cost of add'l tankage as well as the local dealer was an idiot as well as inflexible. As far as Dodge, I really did not want a Fiat. My reasoning might not be agreed to by all, but we're thrilled with our new TV.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At home (2).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	632.7 KB
ID:	244439  
Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
I now also have a 2015 F250 diesel and love it. It's a lot better then the 2013 that Ford replaced for me. I had 7 service calls for the very same issue. Exhaust thermocouples or probes they would fail every 2000 miles one at a time. Theres 4 of these probes. Well lots of talking with Ford about the Texas Lemon Law corrected the issue. About the time they replaced the 2013 Ford issued a recall on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote