Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Just a little over a year ago, I too was specking out a new truck to order. I built two identical trucks, one a 250 and the other a 350. Both I and the dealer was amazed to find that the 350 retailed for only $947.00 more! This quickly became a no-brainer for me. If you ever notice that all the 250's that you see towing or hauling anything heavy are tail-draggers. The 350's have a heavier spring set and rear axle, therefore they don't squat under a load like the 250. The ride difference is hardly noticeable if at all. If you are concerned about the ride when empty, install a set of "Sulastic" rubber spring shackles like I did. My 350 now rides better than a 250. I have the KR and love it. As for wheels you should go with 20". The taller a tire is in overall height, the better it will ride. The larger diameter tire does not fall into holes or ripples as deep as a smaller diameter tire does. Also the 20" tire has a shorter sidewall, which is where most of your sway comes from. The 20" tires also last longer, not as many RPM's. If you look at the resale values of used 250's and compare them to 350's, you will see a difference of somewhere between two and three times the initial difference. I always look and think about resale when I buy because I like to trade quite often. Whenever my wife and I are traveling, I can always tell the difference between a 250 and 350 because of their attitude difference when towing or hauling. Around here the farmers which are pulling or hauling something most of the time never buy a 250 nor would I, especially after finding out the difference in cost. Just my "two dollars worth!" Yeah I know, but the way I see it, my opinions are worth more!
Please explain because AFIK the circumference of the 18/19/20 are all the same ... ???
__________________

__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Just a little over a year ago, I too was specking out a new truck to order. I built two identical trucks, one a 250 and the other a 350. Both I and the dealer was amazed to find that the 350 retailed for only $947.00 more! This quickly became a no-brainer for me. If you ever notice that all the 250's that you see towing or hauling anything heavy are tail-draggers. The 350's have a heavier spring set and rear axle, therefore they don't squat under a load like the 250. The ride difference is hardly noticeable if at all. If you are concerned about the ride when empty, install a set of "Sulastic" rubber spring shackles like I did. My 350 now rides better than a 250. I have the KR and love it. As for wheels you should go with 20". The taller a tire is in overall height, the better it will ride. The larger diameter tire does not fall into holes or ripples as deep as a smaller diameter tire does. Also the 20" tire has a shorter sidewall, which is where most of your sway comes from. The 20" tires also last longer, not as many RPM's. If you look at the resale values of used 250's and compare them to 350's, you will see a difference of somewhere between two and three times the initial difference. I always look and think about resale when I buy because I like to trade quite often. Whenever my wife and I are traveling, I can always tell the difference between a 250 and 350 because of their attitude difference when towing or hauling. Around here the farmers which are pulling or hauling something most of the time never buy a 250 nor would I, especially after finding out the difference in cost. Just my "two dollars worth!" Yeah I know, but the way I see it, my opinions are worth more!

The axles are the same on the 250 and 350. the spring pack is different as is the legal GVWR. The legal GVWR matters for commercial haulers, not us RV'rs so that higher GVWR is meaningful. Otherwise, spot on!
__________________

__________________
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
 
TheDuke's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 228
Images: 68
Just The Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Please explain because AFIK the circumference of the 18/19/20 are all the same ... ???
Okay, once again with "just the facts!" According to Michelin, the specs for the LTX MS2 tires, which is what I have and was referring to on my 2015 F-350 KR, the circumference of the LT 275-65R 20 is 34.1" with a RPM of 610. The circumference of the same tire in a LT 275-70R 18 is 32.1" with a RPM of 627. That is the reason that I said what I said and that is also the reason that when you order a new F-350 with 18" tires the standard rear axle ratio is a 3.31 and if you order 20" tires the standard rear axle ratio is a 3.55. That makes up for the difference in circumference difference in the two different tire sizes, thus effectively giving them the same tow rating, comparable speed and RPM. They don't make a 19" in this tire, therefore I can't quote you those numbers. Does that do it for you?
__________________
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - "JB Books" 1976.
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member
 
TheDuke's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 228
Images: 68
Just The Facts 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
The axles are the same on the 250 and 350. the spring pack is different as is the legal GVWR. The legal GVWR matters for commercial haulers, not us RV'rs so that higher GVWR is meaningful. Otherwise, spot on!
According to my buddy "master technician" at my Ford dealer ship, there is a difference in the F-350 and F-250 front and rear axles. The ring and pinion set in the rear is different and the axle shafts are larger in both front and rear as is the springs. I don't think that by adding one leaf in the rear springs they could increase the GVWR by 2500 lbs. And yes, the higher GVWR matters to "anyone" looking for the more durable and longer lasting truck, such as myself. Many RV'rs overload their trucks!
__________________
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - "JB Books" 1976.
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 31' Classic
Southwest Michigan , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 38
Airsafe Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Quick question to those who've owns both 250 and 350 series - do you have comments as to the difference in the towed vs u towed ride between the two? I'd be concerned the 350 heavier springs may be too hard; for me or for my 28W. I don't want to start popping rivets if I took that route.


2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages

We have a 2015 F-250 Super Duty. We felt with the back end being sprung so stiff that it was beating up the trailer. We now have an Airsafe hitch and it really smooth's out the trailer and the truck. Much nicer now.
__________________
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 176
I have a 2015 F250 diesel. I love the truck but am bitterly disappointed with the meager 26 gallon fuel tank. My Ford dealer has quoted me the small sum of 1,800.00 plus tax for a 50 gallon tank replacement tank. I'm shocked that Ford still sells these "super duty" trucks with a ridiculously small fuel tank.
__________________
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member
 
Silverbee's Avatar
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 382
Ford F250

Yes, the fuel tank is ridiculously small. We bite the bullet and replaced it with the Titan 50 gallon tank. The Titan tanks are built out of military grade plastic and will not rust. They are also custom designed to fit each specific model of a vehicle. They utilize every nick and cranny of space and are mounted under the truck hanging down maybe 2 inches lower than the original tank. We ordered ours directly from Titan and had it shipped to the Ford dealership who switched it out for us and re-flashed the miles to empty software. We now have a range of 600 miles per tank when towing the trailer. It cost about $1700.00 total, but we don't regret it. Ford should offer the bigger tank as at least an option.
__________________
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 35
I have not yet replaced the super-small OEM tank, however I have found myself in situations needing fuel that were completely OK, but not pleasant. For that reason alone, the range is worth it long term.

I like to go from truck stop to truck stop and really dislike trying to fit into normal car-oriented filling stations. We have a 30' bunk house, and I feel almost as long as the big rigs when it comes to maneuvering on the streets..
__________________
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #65
Rivet Master
 
IanPoulin's Avatar
 
2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 539
Images: 4
[thread update] - the new vehicle has been sitting, about 120 miles away, at a Petersburg Va railroad siding now for about four weeks with no sign of movement and/or delivery.

meh!

can I just say "meh!"?

meh!
__________________
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #66
Rivet Master
 
IanPoulin's Avatar
 
2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 539
Images: 4
Wow! It turns out the age old method of "whine like a brat about it in the forums, and it shall be!" Still works! I just got the phone call that the F250 is at the dealer and we can do the purchase in the AM.


2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
__________________
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #67
TinCan
 
graysailor's Avatar

 
2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 798
Looking forward to reading about it after you take delivery.
__________________
TinCan
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Had the 50 Titan installed on our F350 Last year, in March. Towed 10,000 miles last summer and fall out west etc. NOW would not move without the 50 gallon. Crossed RT 50 in northern NV, 258 miles called the loneliest road in the US, it is. I must have missed the diesel station but did not care because of the Titan tank.

We opted for the F350 only because my wife would not let me buy an F450. We had an F250 a while back and liked it, for us the F350 is better. Platinum Edition makes it even sweeter.

Bud
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #69
Rivet Master
 
IanPoulin's Avatar
 
2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 539
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Had the 50 Titan installed on our F350 Last year, in March. Towed 10,000 miles last summer and fall out west etc. NOW would not move without the 50 gallon. Crossed RT 50 in northern NV, 258 miles called the loneliest road in the US, it is. I must have missed the diesel station but did not care because of the Titan tank.

Bud
Yeah - I think I am going to be giving it a season on the short fuel tank first; then talk with the dealer about up-converting to a 50-gallon tank; making sure they handle it so I do not put the warranties into jeopardy. This season is going to be 90% camping across the various Virginia and Maryland State Parks, so all close to home - with one lengthy trip to Fort Wilderness come August, but down I95 will be readily available truck stops throughout.

No more trips up the James Bay Road to Quebec Hydroelectric however till I have a viable 50-gallon tank solution.

Ian
__________________
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #70
Firedog1
 
Firedog1's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 206
IAN
FYI if you will be at Ft Wilderness you may want to consider calling Auto Nation Ford it St Petersburg FL. Less than an hour away. They put in my Titan tank, they are an excellent shop. Not all Ford dealers will do it. I drove couple hours away to get them to install. If done by Ford dealer your warranty is protected. The 50 gallon tank is by far the best upgrade i did, nice to have a 5 to 600 mile range between fill up.
__________________

__________________
Russ and Lisa
2015 Classic 30
2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4 turbo diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F250 Tire Purchase; 2 now 2 later| Ideas? Sav'h Steve Tires 3 02-18-2011 05:36 PM
Overlander pre-purchase inspection valleyboy 1973 Overlander 3 02-25-2009 08:56 AM
Pre-purchase inspection, Tampa oddillo General Motorhome Topics 0 07-31-2004 08:39 AM
Pre-purchase inspection-San Antonio CBBOB General Motorhome Topics 11 06-14-2004 11:08 AM
Pre-purchase check list 74Argosy24MH Link Archive 0 05-02-2003 11:17 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.