Old 09-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Even if the Transit can tow a 25ss by the time you add a similar shelving/storage/bike rack set up and put all that gear in there will it be enough? That storage system and everything in it must add some weight. I understand your concern with the bikes but I didn't realize you had a pull out shelf for the bikes which is very convenient. Removing the front wheel and turning one of the bike's handle bars doesn't seem such an obstacle and shouldn't cause any wear and tear compared to running them up and down rough trails

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #58
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
We will be close to the limit, that's for sure.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
For those who are in the market for a new vehicle, there are a couple of other things we should probably include about the NV.

First, of all it probably has an image problem because it's being called a van. What is it really? Vehicular Frankenstein's Monster, complete with flat top and bolts on the neck (rear-view mirrors.) To be technical, it's more of a pickup with a built in topper. The passenger model happens to have heat and AC. It also has a 110V outlet in the back which allows you to travel with a mini-fridge or plug in a shop vac. It does have a built in converter to run that outlet.

Nissan solved some of the Van's issues by putting the NV on a Titan chassis and keeping the big nose. The front wheels are under the nose, just like a pickup. No wheel wells under the dash. There is plenty of leg room up front, a good bit more than our Expedition had.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Oops, forgot to mention handling. There is nothing chintzy about how the NV handles. It's very solid. But the heavy-duty pickup chassis does make it a bit stiff. Drive on bad roads, and you will feel it a bit. That may or may not be a deal breaker for people, though long-time pickup owners might not blink an eye. If a dealership allows you to test drive it yourself, take it down the not so nice roads or streets so you have idea if you can live with it.

As mentioned earlier, this is our only vehicle now. Bumble goes on errands and does other daily living stuff. Cozy parking lots can be problematic, but Karl is a disabled vet with the parking permit. Those extra wide spaces can come in handy, though not always perfect either when the space is shortened by concrete barriers. We try not to put the big guy in tight spots when there is a choice. Otherwise, we make good use of the camera and those dandy rearview mirrors. Exercising a bit of patience doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Starstream, thanks for all the good extra information. I spent some time yesterday cruising the internet and reading blogs, reviews and looking at images of the NV.

It really has a lot going for it. Might spend some time this winter looking around at a few vans.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #62
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I hear you can get the NV with the v8 Cummins now. That would be an amazing engine.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
I hear you can get the NV with the v8 Cummins now. That would be an amazing engine.

Looked for that but couldn't find it. I'd imagine is still being tested (report of same) if truly under consideration.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #64
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Maybe 2017. Not now.

I'd at least like to see the new 5.6 with 7 speed.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
Here's a video tour of my van, Fred. After the suspension upgrades I made, there's nothing jittery or sloppy about it, but the stock ones do definitely have that vague feeling to them.

I have absolutely loved this van.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474320895.825883.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	272006

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Harpo thanks for letting us see your set up.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #67
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Just a point of note, but you can only get the high roof version in the cargo van, so no side windows, no rear seats, and no a/c in the rear. I did give some thought to going this route, but I'd have to add a couple seats and then build out the back to at least get some sound insulation and a little comfort back there. It's an option, but when you get the passenger version that is all done for you.
I just built a NV high roof cargo with factory glass in the rear and glass in the sliding door section with privacy glass on drivers side. Maybe new option?

As others have stated, the one really great thing about the NV as a van is the motor is out front under a hood, so servicing it is pretty easy for the tech.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
A Bumble in the Badlands

Our 2016 NV is a flat-top. He was already on the dealership lot and purchased as is. We haven't added anything, but we did take out all the seats we currently don't need. This is one of our favorite photos from a drive thru the SD Badlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	272080  
Old 09-21-2016, 02:16 AM   #69
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I just built a NV high roof cargo with factory glass in the rear and glass in the sliding door section with privacy glass on drivers side. Maybe new option?

As others have stated, the one really great thing about the NV as a van is the motor is out front under a hood, so servicing it is pretty easy for the tech.

Cheers
Tony
Sorry.. you are correct. you can get some of the windows in the cargo version.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Wanted to thank everyone for the informative replies to this thread.

Between your replies here, the "anyone tow with a Ford transit" thread and the "NV 3500 thread" a lot of good information was shared.

Feel free to keep adding. Hopefully when explore more gets their new van we'll hear more and when we start looking well add to this also.

Vans are sounding like a good choice for now.

Hittenstiehl