Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #1

Winchester , Tennessee
Can I tow it???

My wife and I are interested in taking the dive and purchasing an Airstream. For many, they choose the trailer first and then find a TV. Others, however, already have a TV and choose a trailer accordingly. We have wants and needs for both trailer and TV and want to know what you all think!

Our goal is to travel and see the US and Canada between 1-4 week trips, pending on the locale. This would primarily be for touisty purposes. An Airstream would allow us to travel at our pace saving on flights, hotels, and the ability to go at our pace and see nature at its finest. However, we wouldn't be kicking back at the campsite. We ideally hope to explore the city or parks or surroundings. This matters when choosing a TV.

Our ideal trailer is the FC 27FB Twin. It has a max weight of 7600lbs but we might travel light. We love the floor plan and my wife loves the kitchen options: she wants the oven AND microwave instead of having the convection microwave replace the oven. If you pulled our teeth, we might could settle for the FC 25FB Twin which has a max weight of 7300lbs but prefer the 27.

Due to our travel habits, the smallest vehicle the better. Due to our needs, we prefer a truck. Remember, we want to explore a city, for example, so no big rigs. You know how you see the big Class A's with like a Prius in tow? Same concept. Our TV is also our explore vehicle. We know for certain we want diesel. Our dream is either the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon fully loaded with towing capability options with the Duramax Diesel option. They both carry a max capacity of 7700lbs. Yes, that's pushing it but we'd only have the trailer at 6700-7000lbs. Can either of these trucks do it? I've heard that I might need to extend the sideview mirrors to accommodate the trailer. Reviews from groups like TFL give me hope. Do I need a bigger truck? I'd rather not. Remember, I intend to be parallel parking in urban downtowns with this TV.

Thank you so much for reading all of this and giving advice on my dream.
CHAPQUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Welcome to the forum. There are lots and lots of threads on which tow vehicle goes best the various models. The best way to access this information is by using the drop down menu under FORUMS, then find TOW Vehicle. Literally thousands of posts on this subject. It all boils down to some homework on your part and your own personal choice but remember that the single most important question to ask isn't "can this _____ pull that Airstream? " the question to ask is "can this ____ stop that Airstream quickly and safely? "

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Welcome Chapquest,

Do your research and the math. GCWR on the Canyon 4x4 Diesel is only 12,700 - tow rating is just one of the numbers.

Best of luck and happy hunting,

Thanks
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy58 View Post
Welcome Chapquest,

Do your research and the math. GCWR on the Canyon 4x4 Diesel is only 12,700 - tow rating is just one of the numbers.

Best of luck and happy hunting,

Thanks
Maybe, but the curb weight on the long box is 4500lbs. Thus 8200lbs leftover.

With that, I would be seriously concerned about towing something almost 3000lbs heavier than the vehicle that's "supposed" to be in control. When push comes to shove...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I find that those that condem "big rigs" have never learned to drive one.

We tow our 27FB with a 3/4 GMC Denail HD.

It has the pay load for any trip and it's independent front suspension makes a very comfortable ride. The Duramax is a dream.

I can drive it anywhere one can take a mid-size pickup.

Simply buying a car doesn't make one proficient at driving it. Today's engineering and standardization make it seem as all cars are the same, so no one practices and learns how to manage an auto that is fundamentally different than what they are use to.

FedEx, UPS, and LTL truck drivers put "big rigs" in tight places every day, all day.

How does one get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, man, practice.

In time, you will want bikes, kayaks, generators, chairs, who knows what.

Tow vehicles that start out loaded to capacity end up overloaded.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I know you don't want a full size truck, but you really NEED a full size truck. With the smaller truck, you won't be at the bleeding edge, you will be across it. Towing with that setup will NOT be a pleasant day, especially in mountains.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The more experience we got traveling all over North America with RV's (over 50 years) the less gear we needed to travel with. We have noticed some weekend campers bring enough food, toys and "equipment" to entertain and provision themselves for months.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
REMEMBER...you have to STOP the ensemble as well. Towing up a 7% grade usually means you have to descend a 7% grade.
We used a 2001 Toyota Tundra to tow our 27FB for some time. Rated at 7,200 lbs we too were "pushing it." It was a lot of work to get to and from.
Also look at Payload. People and manufacturers tend to focus on tow ratings and fail to consider payload.
My 2 cents...get the 3/4 diesel. Your trips will be much more enjoyable.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not enough truck.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

People travel every day of the year in overloaded vehicles. The vast majority of them survive the experience and continue to do so for a long time. There is a difference between "can I" and "should I".

Should I equates to adding up a bunch of numbers and checking them all against various ratings. Axles and tires have ratings. Gear and people weight something. If two motorcycles are coming along, they need to get weighted as well.

Some trailers have a *lot* of margin between "empty weight" and their maximum weights. Other trailers are very tight in this regard. Overloading a 30' Classic is pretty tough to do. On some smaller trailers, filling all the tanks would just about do it. Traveling light (well below max) is a really good idea. It's way easier to do in some trailers than in others.

Some math:

The 25' FC FB has 1,700 lb of NCC. The fresh water tank is 39 gallons. If it's full it will weight 320 lb. That would give you 1380 in "stuff". If you want to stay 10% below max weight, you would take about 720 lb off of that. The numbers on the 27 are almost the same except you wold take a bit more off due to it's higher max weight.

Tongue weight transfers from the trailer to the TV. It comes off of the weight allowance for the axles, tires, and other parts of the TV. The Colorado has about a 1500 lb "payload" rating. Tongue weight on both trailers is around 800 lb. You should anticipate that it could be more than this. You have 700 pounds of "payload" to cover this and the weight of the hitch assembly. Does that come out to 500 pounds or something less? Does the Chevy web site number include passengers? All worth digging into.

Take a look at some of the large(r) SUV's and vans. They may fit your needs for urban exploration. Also take a look at the 1500 / 150 series trucks. There are a lot of variations out there. Pull off the big lift kits and 4x4 off road stuff, they can get pretty nimble.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Just to throw another option in the mix. The RAM 1500 is available with a diesel and based on what I've read and heard it is a good engine.

That would fill your desire for a diesel and have a more nimble truck than the diesels in the 250/2500 trucks.

I also understand that Ford and GM will be offering the diesel option in their 150/1500 trucks in the not too distant future.

Based on my experience I think the Colorado will not be enough of a truck (primarily axle ratings at 3200 FA and 3500 RA), unfortunately.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I own an FC 27FB Twin and I would not be comfortable towing it with less than a 1/2 ton class pickup or SUV. The mid sized trucks are too narrow. You will also have an issue with payload capacity in a mid size.

My GMC Sierra 4x4 6.2L is a very comfortable vehicle for exploring the area when we leave the AS at the campsite. It's also surprisingly fuel efficient.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
IMHO the Canyon/Colorado platform is not enough truck. The 2.8 Duramax is more suited to a 23 foot or smaller.
Think payload capacity and gross combined weight limitations of your tow vehicle. The hitch weight and weight of passengers is subtracted from the payload capacity. Then you have to add your gear on top of it.
Never push the limits of your tow vehicle. You will never be satisfied with the result.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One way to "boost" the payload on most trucks:

Go from the big diesel to a smaller gas engine
Go from 4x4 to 2WD
Go for a small cab / short bed
Go for the highest rear axle ratio you can get

The first three drop the weight of the truck. The last one nukes your MPG, but lets you pull more with a specific transmission / engine combo. None of this is to say you get a better tow vehicle, it just makes the numbers come out a little better. You obviously have traded some things off to get there.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I'm with Amsterdamer. The 1500 is a great daily driver and with park assist on all
4 corners and back up camera, very easy in city traffic. We haven't found anything it can't do in 20,000 miles of towing a 30' Classic. We're 6.2L gas, 4x4, Max Towing. Good luck.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I wish I could say yes go ahead but I can't. You never want the tail wagging the dog & that's what you're positioning yourself to do. Buy a full size half ton with a short bed (5'6"). The RAM ecodiesel is an excellent tow vehicle if you can deal with a light payload. I know because I had one!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Yes, you can tow it safely if the tow vehicle is properly configured.

The more important question is whether you will be satisfied with the payload limitations, especially since you describe wanting a fully loaded Canyon, and all those options reduce the available payload. Also, max towing capability dictates cab configuration, 2wd, long box, etc.

I would be OK with the trade offs, but you may not be.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Don't go out on this with the idea that you are going to save money! That ain't the way it works. We love our trailer and enjoy the trips we take utilizing it, but we DONT save money.

You seem to have settled on a particular trailer and now comes the TV. Everybody has an opinion on this, and you already have settled on the diesel. That has already removed a huge number of options. No vehicle, even a diesel, can be perfect for all your desires. Accept that. Now you have to do your homework. You can get all sorts of advice from astute members of this forum, but, ultimately, you have to decide which compromise is best for you. Good luck.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Chevy has an app on the apple App Store called trailering Chevrolet. It walks you through all of this. The tv's that you listed are included in the app as are the tow packages & options etc..
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Based on your wanting the oven and microwave, I want to make sure you also did consider the 25 Rear Bed models. They have the oven below the cooktop and the microwave over the refrigerator.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote