Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Another Touareg-er!

It just hit me that we have another Touareg-er on this forum.

Turns out he's a nice guy with a great wife and from the looks of his posts so far, he's a real contributor to boot! And, he got himself an '04 19' CCD (as of last weekend)...

Welcome aboard Westfalia !!!

I know Westfalia (Aircooled) from the Touareg forum (www.vwvortex.com) and can attest to his technical prowess and love for fun and adventure. He's an asset.

Glad to have you with us!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Thanks Xray! I'm glad to be part of the Family. Yes, I'm likely to have a few questions as I get familiar with with the Airstream and her systems.

Tonight will be our first trial run camp out. We will be dry camping, of course.
This will be our preparation and shakedown cruise for our week long Touareg 4x4 Rally in southern Colorado, starting next Saturday.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Greetings Westfalia!!!

I know that AS looks familiar....why of certainly....that's the one I've got!!! Best wishes on the new CCD. I'm writing this from mine camped just south of the WI border. And the T-reg....someday when financial climate warrents, the V8 for me.

Sort of a rough outing this time: I first had completely set up, leveled, awning open, stabilizers down, ready to crack the first of dozens of Belgium and micro, only to find I was in a RESERVED site, and not reserved by me. I was a little tired and just didn't see the BIG 'ol reserved sign from the angle of travel. Don't ask! DOH!!!! And there's more:

After my short stay in site "A" I found another site, and as I was backing in, being a little tired, angry with myself, and hot (90 degrees out), I managed to hit the site number post, and down she went. Not one of the flexible brown deals that I see everlyone running over, but a six inch wooden post!!! This is what happens when you get even the slightest bit lazy and don't exit the vehicle to see where the hell you are going!

Could this be the start of my worst dream realized?

Fortunatly the post appeared completely rotted at the base, and there was NO damage to the bumper at point of contact. Ther is a god.

So I then did what any self respecting idiot would do: I high tailed it out of there, found a site that I knew I could get into, plus I have a water hydrant about 10' away from me, a good chance to test hooking up the CCD to preasurized city water. Works just fine.

Finally, if you are wondering, I did go to the camphost, actually two, and told them that I remodeled a site. I offered to cover the expense to re-plant the number post. Not to worry they say, happens all the time, but not usually with Airstream owners. Major pride repair needed.

Medicating myself that evening took on Titanic proportions. Along with sky rocketing gas costs, expect to see beer prices to go up since I seemed to have cornered the market. Things have much improved since two nights ago. And the wife is joining me shortly.

I digress as ussual...

Best wishes on the new everything, and be careful.

Jonathan
Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Jonathan, great story. That is the exact reason why I have my wife in the back with the two way radios. I simply can't see behind me, and the damage can get expensive quickly.

On the Touareg front, I'm really surprised how well the V6 tows the 19'. Yes you can feel it back there, but I can still accelerate up on ramps and pull steep hills at 45mph. Good enough for me, for now.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hey

Hopefully i will be another Touareg in the Airstream community soon.I just hope everything works out.
Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Brakes

Hey all.I am wondering if the 2005 19' Bambi comes with brakes and what type.Would i need to get a brake controller and if so,what are you all using.Trying to get prepared before purchasing one right now.Hopefully it will be really soon before we are in the heart of hurricane season.Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Yes - all Airstream trailers have brakes. I believe the Bambi's all have electric drum brakes. You will need a brake controller. Search this site and you can read about the various brake controllers.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Hey all.I am wondering if the 2005 19' Bambi comes with brakes and what type.Would i need to get a brake controller and if so,what are you all using.Trying to get prepared before purchasing one right now.Hopefully it will be really soon before we are in the heart of hurricane season.Thanks
The '05 Bambi has electric drum brakes, and yes, you will need a brake controller.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Devo, that Bambi brakes work quite well when the brake controller is adjusted properly. On Xray's advice (BTW, he's XRAYO on VWVortex) I bought and installed the Tekonsha Envoy controller, and I mounted it under the dash, next to the diagnostics port. The only problem with this location is that I can't see the light on the controller which tells me the brakes are connected and what proportion they are currently stopping at by changing from green to orange to red.

Also, to follow up on the WD hitch (in another thread), I am using an Equil-i-zer brand WD hitch w/ sway control. So far, so good, but I also have the air suspension, and leveling out in not a problem. Xray also had air and a WD hitch. However, I believe that we a both have the factory hitch. Going by numbers alone, you are not exceeding the hitch specs by towing with the Curt hitch, but there is a certain percentage of leeway that the fine towing folks here like to use. Once you add the WD portion, you might be exceeding the curt specs. The extra capacity of the factory hitch (7700/770 tongue) keep me in the green. Of course, I installed the factory long before I thought I would be towing an airstream. If you do decide to upgrade to the factory hitch and electrics (with brake controller provision), try calling Liberty VW. They used to have a group buy, and still honor it if you call. I got my hitch for $600 shipped to my door, with the electronics.

Devo, I'd love to be more help, but I am leaving in a hour or so for our maiden voyage with our Bambi on the Colorado Touareg 4x4 rally, so I'll be incommunicado for a week. I've been so busy this week with trailer prep and work, this is the first change I've really had to respond. I hope this helps. I know you won't go wrong if you go Airstream; it was love at first sight for my wife and I.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I'd like to Welcome Devoman to the Airstream family. He joins us with his well modded V6 Touareg, and hails from Panama City Beach, FL!

Pictures of his TV and Bambi here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...d.php?p=170221
Old 08-14-2005, 06:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Yep, another happy Touareg owner...

I'm not surprised. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in knowing that you have a really great tow vehicle/coach combo.

I've now towed my 22' CCD (V8 Touareg) in excess of 12,000 miles over the entire western U.S. (NM, CO, UT, ID, OR, CA, AZ, WY, NV, etc) and every mile was a towing dream come true.

Xray's first towing experience - maiden voyage with the Touareg (V8) and '04 22' CCD.

Devo, I hope to see you out our way soon.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Exclamation Newbie: Soon to be Touareger/25' CCD

Hello!

Any advice to a solo gal who wants a Touareg V8 and a 25' CCD? Trying to make this happen before the end of the year. Plan to travel with my 2 dogs, and do most of this on my own.

Tow package advice? Gadgets to help me hitch and unhitch alone?

Best campgrounds or forums to find the airstream loving, creative man of my dreams?

Any and all thoughts/advice appreciated!

ps: been a solo camping gal for 20+ years in 2 different Westphalia campers, just new to the whole world of towing . . .

Please spay and neuter your pets. And ADOPT, don't buy a critter. They are counting on us to do the right thing.
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Strictly based on the numbers, a 25' CCD weighs 5220 lbs dry, with no gear or fluids. You load the trailer with an additional 1780 lbs of gear, water, etc to max weight, bringing you to 7000lbs. The tongue weight of the CCD is rated at 740 lbs.

The Touareg with the factory hitch is rated for a maximum of 7700 lbs with 770 lbs of toungue weight. However, I'm pretty sure you would exceed this after you add a weight distribution hitch.

It would be a little too close in my initial opinion. The 22' CCD (as Xray tows) might be better suited. Is there any reason that you want/need the bigger trailer, especially if you are a solo traveler?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks for the Welcome

Hey thanks for the welcome you all.You know...Since i have been home i have been running around trying to get this thing ready to start camping in.I am buying things right now that i am needing and not what i am wanting so as to be prepared.I am also waiting to get a 30 amp plug put outside so i can plug up the electricity to the Airstream.Man...There are so many things to do but i am almost done though.If everything goes right we should be able to go up north.I think that would be so cool to do.Mabey there will be another Touareg meet again sometime from the month of Nov to Feb.That is when i get my vacation time in.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Devo, with a 30 amp to 15 amp plug converter, you can plug into your house. I am able to run my A/C easily on a 20 amp breaker. The trailer only pulls about 9 amps with the A/C on high. I'm sure that compressor startup surge pushes that number closer to 13 or 14 amps for a few seconds. At some point, I will add a 30 amp plug and dedicated fuse, but it's not entirely necessary at this point.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

So do we have enough towing Touaregs to start our own club?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks

My AC unit is only an 11500 btu so that sound good to me.And about the club...
Just think how many people would be rubber necking seeing several Touaregs w/Airstreams on the back end driving down the road.Could be very hazardous for those drivers.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Mine is the same size A/C. Fortunately, I don't have to use it too often here, and NEVER need to use it while camping. Which has me asking, do you have the 'Fantastic Fan' in your Safari? It's the power roof vent.

I'm game for a Touareg/Airstream (T&A) rally. Just tell me where and when!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #19
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Vent

No..It did not come with one.But that is going to be one of the first things i put on this thing though.I have 2 vents.Should i get 2 of them or would one be just fine?If i am to just get one,should i put it in the back to keep cool or do you think it would be good in the front if i were to cook?Thanks

Old 08-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Another Touareg-er!/Free Wheeler Question

Greetings retro-pinky!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro-pinky
Hello!

Any advice to a solo gal who wants a Touareg V8 and a 25' CCD? Trying to make this happen before the end of the year. Plan to travel with my 2 dogs, and do most of this on my own.

Tow package advice? Gadgets to help me hitch and unhitch alone?

Best campgrounds or forums to find the airstream loving, creative man of my dreams?

Any and all thoughts/advice appreciated!

ps: been a solo camping gal for 20+ years in 2 different Westphalia campers, just new to the whole world of towing . . .
There are a number of us on the Forums who are Free Wheelers (WBCCI -- Wally Byam Caravan Club International -- term to describe those single owner/members who enjoy their Airstream product RV Solo). You will find that there are a number of products available that can ease the chore of hitching your Airstream. I have used a "Hitch-Helper" 8" squre convex mirror device that is mounted on a 42" pole with a magnetic base -- it sits just behind the coupler and allows you to easily see the coupler and ball mount from the comfort of the tow vehicle's driver's seat. After observing my success with the product, several couples that I have traveled with have also adopted the device as an easy means of handling the hitching activity.

The current version of this device can be found in the link below:

Hitch Spotter -- Solo Hitching Aid

I also have a permanent mount style that I purchased from Bart's Watersports, but the product appears to have been discontinued from their current catalog -- it was described as "One-Shot Trailer Hitch Viewing Mirror".

Another item that you will likely need to consider is a supplemental towing mirror system if the tow vehicle you choose doesn't have a factory optional towing mirror setup. After trying several different styles and brands, I have settled on the McKesh Mirrors for both my Suburban and Cadillac when towing -- they offer excellent stability, a large mirror surface, large adjustment range, and excellent optional convex spot mirrors. You can find the McKesh Mirrors at:

McKesh Mirrors

You are already on a good path -- asking probing questions prior to making any final decisions.

While I don't have any experience towing with the vehicle you are considering, a very geneneral "rule of thumb" is that a tow vehicle will be more satisfactory in its long-term performance if it isn't loaded beyond 80% of its factory rated maximum (for tow vehicle selection purposes, I utilize the GVWR of the trailer for evaluation purposes). I know that every time (three in all) that I have tried to tow with a vehicle towing more than 85% of its rated capacity, I have been thoroughly disappointed and ended up trading the tow vehicle long before I should have -- my current tow vehicle (61% of capacity with Overlander and 31% of capacity with Minuet) is much more than absolutely necessary, but I have no regrets regarding its purchase after more than 150,000 miles and seven years (I am anticipating at least another seven years from this tow vehicle).

Good luck with your research and selection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote