Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
4x4 4x2 .....

SO..... i have been thinking alot about this Tow Vehicle thing now that i have decided that i want to go smaller on the AS.

i have seen alot of REAL deals on 4X2 's that are REALLY good. and at this time of the year..... some good deals on 4X4's

i am trying to keep expenses down and the difference between a deal on a 4X2 and a 4X4 is about 5K.

Now.... for my situitation.... i live in the west and dont have plans to EVER be in snow, ice or anything remotely considered BAD weather with my AS.
i am after sunny skys and warm days. the only places i will be going will be the deserts and north to the cooler climates in the dead of summer.

all in the western part of the country ONLY.... and no plans to travel on bad weather days. i dont have any schedule where i ever have to be anywhere at anytime. so i can afford to wait to travel till the rainy weather passes. LOL

with what i am going to be doing....do i REALLY need to spend the extra money to get the 4X4?
i have a friend thats SO against a 4X2 he practically had a stroke when i told him i was thinking about towing my little AS with a beefed up 4X2 regular pickup.

i know we have kind of been over this before..... but please tell me what you think.
i'm really trying to watch my pennies but i dont want to be stupid.
and again..... i am ONLY interested in buying new or nearly new ( like a few months old).

thanks
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi AnnieD, Take a look a post #3. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-tv-58882.html. Happy holidays!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi AnnieD, Take a look a post #3. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-tv-58882.html. Happy holidays!
thanks silver..... i will.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
4x4 typically adds LESS THAN 500$ to the sticker.

so check those numbers because something MUCH MORE is added for a 5 k price jump.

diesel for example will bump the MSRP 5-7k with a tranny upgrade.

but purchase price isn't msrp for most buyers.

how is this question different than your last thread on this topic?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-tv-58882.html

the 30 helpful post in that thread are still fresh.

cheers
2air'
Hey 2air.... i should have added that i am looking at 2 completely different
trucks..... one is a F150 ford 2009 and the other is a dodge ram 2500 with a hemi.

the ford was ordered by someone beefed up with 250 guts in a 150 body it has all the insides of a 250. it was a fleet order and the dealer ordered too many of them. so they put this one on the lot. the dodge 2500 is a true 3/4 ton. its also a 2009 but its about 5K more. the dodge is the 4x4. the ford is a 4x2.

the 150 is a one off in the way its made... thats why the deal is so good. i mean you should see this thing... its a wolf in sheeps clothing. LOL

i didnt get a chance to re read that thread i did. if i already asked all this before.... then everyone can tell me to piss off. LOL i just like hearing what everyone has to say. LOL
but now i have come upon these 2 particular deals and i am weighing them both.

anyone that wants to add in anything that wasnted cover before... please do so. and thanks again!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have never needed 4x4 when towing. Now have a F250 4x2 with a Triton engine. My thinking is if the truck is strictly a TV why carry around the extra weight and have one more box of gears to break down. I also would not be interested in towing my AS anywhere I would need 4wd to get to. I've been told 2wd will squeeze out a little more mileage, but don't know for sure.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
_

. , .
here's the deal.

there is ONE model of f150 available in a 'beefier' configuration for greater towing capacity.

typically these are regular cab/long bed trucks and always 4x2.

it's NOT a popular truck but for some folks it's the perfect truck.

they don't exactly have 3/4 ton parts but DO have similar ratings for towing/hauling.

the dodge has a HEMI? this IS an upgrade and includes other bits that ADD to the price.

3/4 ton trucks generally cost more because they contain beefier bits.

and engine upgrades often include trim or comfort upgrades that add to the price...

some models are base with manual trans, so an auto tranny adds 2k to the price too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
here's the deal.

there is ONE model of f150 available in a 'beefier' configuration for greater towing capacity.

typically these are regular cab/long bed trucks.

it's NOT a popular truck but for some folks it's the perfect truck.

they don't exactly have 3/4 ton parts but DO have similar ratings for towing/hauling.

the dodge has a HEMI? this IS an upgrade and includes other bits that ADD to the price.

3/4 ton trucks generally cost more because they contain beefier bits.

cheers
2air'

2air..... i know about that 150 you speak of. but THIS guy has even MORE 250 guts than the the standard beefed up 150 you can order.
and its alot less than the dodge 2500. thats the only reason i was thinking about it.
its just that in my consideration of it..... i was thinking about the 4X4 vs the 4X2. thats all.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I bought my 2006 4 X 2, 1500 Dodge Ram, 4.6L with a 3.55 rear end back before I was thinking about buying a trailer. The idea and purchase of a trailer was later on.

I have to deal with what I have, because trading in for new is out of the question. I am pulling a 1973 Overlander which has a dry weight of 4600 pounds. I have pulled things out and put new in the trailer and it weighed in with all my clothes and stuff at 4800 lbs. When I pull it 900 miles I don't have any problems. I weighted the truck and trailer and everything was within Dodges specs for towing with what I have. I also pull this trailer out in a field with grass and have never been stuck.

I have spoke with the Dodge people and they say my trucks 4.6 L engine is great and not to worry. So far so good. I don't pull over 55 and I am never in a hurry.

I bought the Dodge because they sold me my 2006 quad cab brand new for 17,000 dollars. Now that was a deal.

Brian
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
2air..... i know about that 150 you speak of. but THIS guy has even MORE 250 guts than the the standard beefed up 150 you can order...
for example what "guts" does it have?

the 150/250 frames, axles and bodies are different.

there is some drive train overlap (gas engines) but, brakes axles and springs/suspension and tranny are different?

what really matter is the RATINGS for payload and towing for each truck.

for example SOME 3/4 ton trucks with SMALL engines...

have LESS towing capacity that 1/2 tons with BIG engines.

the problem with a 3/4 ton truck and a SMALL engine is that it's a big HEAVY truck and DRIVES like it.

but won't carry or tow much.

it's very hard to shop 2 different brands AND to different models (1/2 vs 3/4)...

the 3/4 ton ram with hemi is a MUCH different truck than any 1/2 ton from any maker, and drives like it too.

and these trucks will ALL be on sale till spring, or till just before a NEW model is released.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I bought my 2006 4 X 2, 1500 Dodge Ram, 4.6L with a 3.55 rear end back before I was thinking about buying a trailer. The idea and purchase of a trailer was later on.

I have to deal with what I have, because trading in for new is out of the question. I am pulling a 1973 Overlander which has a dry weight of 4600 pounds. I have pulled things out and put new in the trailer and it weighed in with all my clothes and stuff at 4800 lbs. When I pull it 900 miles I don't have any problems. I weighted the truck and trailer and everything was within Dodges specs for towing with what I have. I also pull this trailer out in a field with grass and have never been stuck.

I have spoke with the Dodge people and they say my trucks 4.6 L engine is great and not to worry. So far so good. I don't pull over 55 and I am never in a hurry.

I bought the Dodge because they sold me my 2006 quad cab brand new for 17,000 dollars. Now that was a deal.

Brian
WOW! LOL now THAT IS a deal!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
for example what "guts" does it have?

the 150/250 frames, axles and bodies are different.

there is some drive train overlap (gas engines) but, brakes axles and springs/suspension and tranny are different?

what really matter is the RATINGS for payload and towing for each truck.

for example SOME 3/4 ton trucks with SMALL engines...

have LESS towing capacity that 1/2 tons with BIG engines.

the problem with a 3/4 ton truck and a SMALL engine is that it's a big HEAVY truck and DRIVES like it.

but won't carry or tow much.

it's very hard to shop 2 different brands AND to different models (1/2 vs 3/4)...

the 3/4 ton ram with hemi is a MUCH different truck than any 1/2 ton from any maker, and drives like it too.

and these trucks will ALL be on sale till spring, or till just before a NEW model is released.

cheers
2air'

Yes it is an apples and oranges comparison. just something i was thinking about. i dont have the stuff in front of me i dont remember exactly what all was on there.

i'll have to dig it up. i do know the engine on the 2500 is not small.

i am not in any hurry to buy anything so the research continues. LOL
Old 12-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

OHHH i just looked at the other thread i started. there was alot in there about the 4X4 stuff. i dont know why i didnt remember..... i should have checked.

moderator... feel free to consolidate or delete this thread.
now i am starting to feel old. LOL that was TOO stupid.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
GO for FOUR WHEEL - twust me!

I traded a 2003 Suburban 2500 4x4 for a 2008 4x2 Chevy Silverado, diesel.

I like the diesel engine a lot - THERE's the beef.

Almost never used four wheel drive on the Suburban... had to remind myself to switch it on once a month to keep the gears lubed. So, to save money I got a 2x4 Silverado and have been caught twice on flat land in wet grass. Embarassing. A four wheel in the lowest gear range COULD also get caught, but never did. The Burb also had oversize, semi-knobby tires, designed more for looks than function. On grass... well they performed better. With the Silverado I should probably buy myself a winch!

ALERT - you don't have to buy a NEW truck. You're probably smart not to in this economy. There are many people who bought big showy trucks that they now can't afford. This is a good time to find a lightly used truck or SUV. Look at 2006's if you're going diesel. They would run on the old "dirty" diesel and do well on biodiesel. The new ones are a bit more finicky and want new fuel filters a lot more often. The cost of an oil change (Synthetic required) will shock you with a diesel too.

If my truck were stolen tomorrow... I might well go back to the 2500 burb.... even though the gas mileage sucked. You can stow a lot of stuff in the back and still have a true six passenger vehicle.
Definitely consider the Quad Cab, but get the short bed if you go for a truck. I've got the long bed and it has the turning radius of the Queen Mary.

Well, I may have just talked you back into a gasser. There are certainly more of them out there. Oh, and while you are looking for an Airstream, do look for ones where the owners are aging out of RV'ing. They often sell a nice Airstream with the tow vehicle!

Happy searching. Paula
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think the answer is the same as for your gas/diesel question.

You most definitely do not need 4x4, but it could be nice to have at times if you don't mind paying the $$ for it!

We have 4x4 and seldom use it with the RV - but now and then I have found it handy getting out of a slick spot or going up a steep gravel incline without throwing rocks all over the front of the trailer.

In our case it is also handy at times in winter as we use our truck as a daily driver since we are retired and don't really need the expense of a second vehicle. a 4x2 truck can be pretty light in the rear end and not great on the ice and snow we need to contend with at times, the 4x4 is very good.

As with the diesel question, I just prefer to have the most capable vehicle for the job in all circumstances and so I pay the price.

if you prefer to save a few $$ I think chances are likely slim that you will have any real problem with 4x2.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Annie,
The 4X4 is a must if you live out west. Even if it gets really wet from rain dirt roads can become impassable in the middle of summer. I needed 4 wheel drive when I was backing into my spot at last years area 33 rally. The rear wheels where slipping on grass.

Here is the issue. With 4X2 you can end up with one wheel or no wheel drive. Depends on the rear end that is installed. My limited slip failed three times. The last time out of warrenty. I opted for an air operated rear end locker. It works great!

With 4X4 you can end up with two or three wheel drive. The front differential in most 4X4 setups does not lock up. You can get an aftermarket kit to lock it up too. The problem. You can go strait in any direction you wish.
Confused? My 4X4 F-250 extended cab, long bed, Diesel with locking rear end is nearly un-stoppable.
Get a large Gas engine V10 or better and opt for the 4X4.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hey forgetting comes with age. Don't worry about it. I sent a friend a youtube video the other day and forgot I had sent him the same video about 6 months ago.

I was up at Dodge recently checking out the new 2010 5.7 rams and I was tempted. It would be irresponsible for me to get a new one, but I sure was very tempted. I bought my ram when gas went way up and and nobody was buying big trucks. The dealer had around 20, 2006 trucks out in the lot and he was trying to unload them because it was oct 2006. I felt the deal I got was a great one. I was always a Ford truck person and when I went to them to trade my ranger in they just blew me off. They did not want to even talk to me. I guess I looked poor. When I finally got a sales person out in the lot he wanted 23000 for a extended cab and told me that was as low as he would go.

I really like my Dodge ram and the engine has some guts to it. It handles my trailer well. I sometimes forget it is behind me. Mountains can be a challenge but I only deal with them for 30 minutes. Dodge told me not to worry about the 3.55 rear end. They say it can handle it.

Brian
Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you sure have received a lot of mixed answers; So I will add to this. I live in the west and have been in and through [in my opinion] all of the western states and in all weather conditions. Stuck on ice twice, but was able to get moving again without any thing other than driving abilities. You already told us [in other words] that you are going to be a fair weather driver, so I see no need for four wheel drive. I would like to see the list of details on this Ford; You can't make an F-250 out of a F-150. There is a rare version of a F-150 that has a 7 lug nut wheel; I would never consider this truck because no-one, not even a Ford dealer, is going to have parts for this. I have only seen one of these.

California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone for your comments... Robert i sent you a private note.
i am certainly learning alot here and all of your answers most welcome.
thanks for giving me alot of angles to think about.
and i am considering gently used trucks and airstreams. but VERY gently used.
in the bigger ones i have seen lots of well cared for units.
nothing yet in the smaller ones.
and at this point.... i am thinking SMALLER.
its funny how after a while.... after you get alot information.... things start to gel about what you really need.

thanks again for all your comments. hope everyone has a safe holiday.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
No body has mentioned resale or trade in value on a 4X2 vs. a 4x4. If you want a 2WD truck in SW Colorado, you have to special order it. I suspect that that was the case with the F-150. Call every dealer in the Carson City, Virginia City, Minden, etc. and ask what the ratio of 4x4's they sell in relation to the 4X2's.

Over the long haul (pun intended) a 4x4 may be a better buy.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I've been told 2wd will squeeze out a little more mileage, but don't know for sure.
Anybody have an answer?