Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Brunswick , Georgia
2015 Toyota Highlander and Airstream 22 Sport

I’m getting ready to purchase a 22ft Sport and would like to pull with my 2015 Toyota Highlander. Here are specs

Trailer
Dry weight 3,634 lbs
GVWR 4,500 lbs
Hitch weight 422 lbs

Highlander
Gross weight 6,000 lbs
Curb weight 4,464
Towing capacity 5,000 lbs

Short trips so I won’t be taking a lot of cargo.

I have towing package but no brake controller for trailer. Suggestions for best brake controller to add?

Also suggestions for stabilizer hutch with sway bars?????

Anything else?

Thanks!
Gypsymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Welcome to the forum! Hello from central Kentucky

Here's a link to the 2015 Highlander capacities. You say yours has 5,000 lb. towing, so I'm assuming it's the XLE with V6 and towing package. On my 4Runner there is a plug for a controller tucked in the driver side kick panel. I just poked around and found it, pretty easy. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. It took 2 screws to secure the holder to the underside of the dashboard, plugged into the back of the controller; done in 15 minutes!

You have a 500 lb. tongue weight limit, so be sure to use an Equalizer WD hitch. https://www.equalizerhitch.com/ My 23', unloaded, is 730 lbs at the tongue with my usual stuff in the front and a half bottle of propane. (Tongue weight scale available at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2015 Highlander Specifications
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ki6IyqZrvJ9yKg
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

You have a 500 lb. tongue weight limit, so be sure to use an Equalizer WD hitch. https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
A WD hitch is a good idea, especially if combined with anti-sway. However, a WD hitch creates vertical torque on the receiver when you engage the torsion bars. I would strongly suggest having the receiver strengthened to resist the twisting forces. Can-Am RV in London Ontario, Canada are experts in hitch work. Give them a call and take their advice.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The EQ hitch has some advantages and some disadvantages. It is easy to hook up and has good ground clearance. It is somewhat difficult to setup and tune. The worst problem is that it is a very stiff design. It must be stiff to transfer the weight and use the friction for sway control. Airstreams do not like stiff hitches, but most dealers recommend them. They have been around a long time. If you choose this design, take extreme care in transiting driveways, uneven surfaces and pot holes.

Look at the Reese dual cam and the Easy-lift with friction sway control strut. If you are flush with cash and want the best, get a Hensley Cub.

It is quite helpful to have independent weight distribution and sway control adjustments. As noted above, the TV receiver must be rigid and not flex or it will not adequately transfer weight. Not all receivers meet this criteria, but a true 500# tongue weight can be accomodated by most. However, the tongue weight goes up as gear gets loaded. Manage that weight with care. Store gear low over the axles. Do not move weight to back of trailer to reduce tongue weight (teeter totter is bad for stability).

One final point - the Anderson hitch is often recommended for lighter weight coaches. Don't - see Ryan Anderson Corona Arch thread.

Enjoy that coach. Travel safe. Chase those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Dry weight 3806. Hmmmm I have a 23fb wondering how an extra foot adds 1,000 lbs extra? Strange.
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Brandon - the 23FB is wider, has a second axle, 30lb LPG tanks, 2 batteries, stone guards and a rear bumper. It's the bottom end of the big trailer world. A lot in a small pachage.

The 22 is a great layout, a narrow footprint and the lower weight you reference. It packs a lot of advantages in a slightly smaller package.

Hope that helps. They are both hard to beat. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Stony Point , New York
I tow an 2014 FC20c with a 2014 Highlander. Experienced No problems so far. All trips have been under 4 hours at a speed of 65 max. and only an occasional small hill pull. Use a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes.
Stevelandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You should be fine. Mountains might pose a challenge, but overall you'd be fine if you took it slow.

Don't over hitch and don't get the rear end of the truck reinforced, that's sort of silly. Just get the smallest weight distribution bars you can, 500 or 600lbs and you'll be fine. When you get a hitch, a lot of places will just give you the 1200lb bars, you don't need anything near that much. Your vehicle is rated at 5000lbs and 500lbs hitch weight is expected and designed into it as dead hitch weight. Distributing that weight via weight distribution bars will not add more than the standard 10% hitch weight the manufacturer built into the truck and should be more than up to the task of standard weight distribution without any modifications to the truck necessary.

If you were insistent on pulling a larger non-sport I'd say get a different tow vehicle since modding a vehicle doesn't change the wheelbase, brakes or the purpose built vehicle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I'm down with rich's comments. He always has sound advice.

I added jet pack chip tho. They say another 18% hp and 10% torque...not sure but not having any power problems. Been over i 84 cabbage grade out pendleton and over donner wb a few times. Not the leader up the hill, but still passing somefolks. Generally cruise at 65-65.

I should add i swapped the oem 19" rims to the oem= 17 and appropriate mich def tires to gain almost 10 in the load rating plus a speed rating. I also lost about 300 lbs when i removed the middle seat for a fitted osb sheet for the 2 dogs and beds.

I love the eq hitch, albiet a bit noisy at times, but she tows true, no sway even in the Ok/tx/nm horrendous winds last spring.

Not sure of my tekanosha model but self adjusting...works great. ( hitch guy installed as well as the eq set-up. Dialed it right in. I control Tongue weight with water/bikes in the tail and propane in the front. Hardly ever carry 2 full tanks. Mine gas seems to last forever.

Lastly...when you buy...know your tw znd axel seight incweight per tire and learn how moving !oad arounds affects 5he above In my area there are a few ag scales...never crowded and free

Happy trails.
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Hello from central Kentucky

Here's a link to the 2015 Highlander capacities. You say yours has 5,000 lb. towing, so I'm assuming it's the XLE with V6 and towing package. On my 4Runner there is a plug for a controller tucked in the driver side kick panel. I just poked around and found it, pretty easy. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. It took 2 screws to secure the holder to the underside of the dashboard, plugged into the back of the controller; done in 15 minutes!

You have a 500 lb. tongue weight limit, so be sure to use an Equalizer WD hitch. https://www.equalizerhitch.com/ My 23', unloaded, is 730 lbs at the tongue with my usual stuff in the front and a half bottle of propane. (Tongue weight scale available at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2015 Highlander Specifications
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ki6IyqZrvJ9yKg
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelandco View Post
I tow an 2014 FC20c with a 2014 Highlander. Experienced No problems so far. All trips have been under 4 hours at a speed of 65 max. and only an occasional small hill pull. Use a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes.

Thanks!
What kind of weight dist hitch do you use?

Thanks again
Gypsymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
ps...2008 highlander limited, currently at 109000 miles give take. 1 oc this trip so far. This grip sill be about 10-11k, last year nashville was about 7k, Coeur d arlene about 3500 and maiden to san diego about 3000 or so. Still pulls strong. Tire swap mentioned above is a great move and helped payload in the tv and TW of the TT a lot

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Brandon - the 23FB is wider, has a second axle, 30lb LPG tanks, 2 batteries, stone guards and a rear bumper. It's the bottom end of the big trailer world. A lot in a small pachage.

The 22 is a great layout, a narrow footprint and the lower weight you reference. It packs a lot of advantages in a slightly smaller package.

Hope that helps. They are both hard to beat. Pat

Pat, thanks for the insight.
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
For the brake controller, check out the Curt Echo. It has worked great for me, and no permanent install.

Be aware of the tongue weight, my 22 Sport must have overeaten at the factory... she is not 422#. I’m getting the Firestone air bags installed in the next week or so to help out the sag in the rear of my VW Atlas (similar to a Highlander)
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote